Mandatory health insurance for foreigners aged over 50 in Thailand - why it may not affect you

webfact

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Is the new insurance law for expats only for O-A visa holders or is it for anyone getting a retirement extension?

Since you are  selling insurance for it I assume you must know.

Have just finished a conversation with PC and they advise that this only applies to NEW Non O-A visa applications. In their opinion it does not apply to extensions of stay.

13 minutes ago, IssanCalling said:

Please excuse my ignorance, what is the difference between Visa 'O' & Visa 'O-A'... 

OA is the visa you get in home country specifically for retirement, can come and go for a year and stay a year each entry. No requirements for money in a thai bank.

O visa is a visa that allows for 90 days entry for married to a Thai, volunteer etc and for entry to the take up an extension based on retirement, marriage etc. O visa's are also issued inside thailand as part of the conversion to a retire extension.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

I doubt the premise of this thread the original Nation article stated this...

According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year.

To the OP what is the difference between “extension of stay” and “renew their visa” other than semantics...

Mr Nattawuth seems to say that this applies to all of us...

https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369323

Just seen this article in Phuket News:

UPDATE: Phuket Immigration Chief Col Kathathorn Kumthieng confirmed to The Phuket News today (May 14) that he has been informed of the new requirement but that he has yet to receive an order for his office to start applying it when processing applications for one-year Non-Immigrant O-A permits-to-stay.

Col Kathathorn also confirmed that the new insusrance requirement applies only to Non-Immigrant O-A "retirement" visas.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/cabinet-approves-mandatory-health-insurance-for-long-stay-visas-71424.php#sAzWmqyE5mqrqMek.99

Full link here.

Like OP says only applies to O-A retirement visa.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SeeRTB said:

If you can only get the OA visa from your own country before you go, How can you get a thai medical insurance policy ?

With the OX I think there is a check in with immigration when you arrive, and show funds deposited etc. OA will probably work the same.

Edited by Peterw42

1 minute ago, khunpon said:

Full link here.

Each immigration office will interpret this as they see fit.  Suppose for example, they say you need proof of insurance.  Maybe an agent can help for an increased fee?  After all they are already helping with the troublesome 800/400k requirement.

This is just like every other scam I have seen in Thailand.  Keep tightening the screws as long as the victim is willing to keep paying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Wait and see.
I am not a gossip monger..I was told this by someone who is in a position to know things.
The same person told me over 15 MONTHS ago about meetings being set up re healthcare insurance becoming mandatory

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hearsay doesn't count We need 100% proof No Bullshit.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I doubt the premise of this thread the original Nation article stated this...

According to Nattawuth, the new rule applies to both new applicants for the non-immigrant visa (O-A), which offers a stay of up to one year, and those wishing to renew their visa. Each renewal is valid for one year.

To the OP what is the difference between “extension of stay” and “renew their visa” other than semantics...

Mr Nattawuth seems to say that this applies to all of us...

The renew visa statement is the crux of the confusion, whether they mean get another visa, switch to an extension, or they just dont understand how OA visa works. Its the ministry of health announcing the insurance so they probably dont have a great understanding of visa's. I think they presume an OA visa is a renewable thing, not realising that when it ends you switch to an extension of stay. An extension is a separate entity, its not a visa extension or a visa renewal.

Edited by Peterw42

13 minutes ago, SeeRTB said:

If you can only get the OA visa from your own country before you go, How can you get a thai medical insurance policy ?

Probably because it actually means retirement extension but was lost in the translation.  Otherwise why only the Thai companies listed?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Extensions of stay are not visas. Most retirees who stay in Thailand do so on an ‘extension of stay based on retirement.

No, it is the golden goose. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The requirement for mandatory health insurance appears to only affect those applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa OA.

Not the golden goose.

19 minutes ago, SeeRTB said:

It does not have to be an insurance policy issued by an insurance company in Thailand, according to news reports and the announcement on the website of the Ministry of Public Health.

4 hours ago, carbon007 said:

I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I realise (have been explained) that a "Retirement" visa (which I have) is not the same as an extension of a "Non-immigrant O-A" visa.

Let us see how long time this distinction will be upheld

It seems to me that even with the above explanation, some still haven figured it out there is no such thing as a "Retirement Visa"...just that many people (and even some immigrations people) call "Extension of Stays" VISAs.  You either have a Non-Immigrant O-A VISA, which is issued in your home country, or you have a Non-Immigrant O VISA issued from wherever, which subsequently can be converted/extended by a "Extension of Stay" based on a reason of "Retirement" or "Marriage" or some other such reason.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

It does not have to be an insurance policy issued by an insurance company in Thailand, according to news reports and the announcement on the website of the Ministry of Public Health.

Why would they list Thai companies?  Can you buy it by email?

26 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

...Mr Nattawuth seems to say that this applies to all of us...

An announcement published on the website of a ministry generally counts more than a newspaper article reporting something allegedly having been said by an official of that ministry.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

An announcement published on the website of a ministry generally counts more than a newspaper article reporting something allegedly having been said by an official of that ministry.

New here are you?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

People on an O-A stay for up to 2 years without putting any money in a Thai account. Maybe thats part of the whole idea to do with insurance for O-A

I am so confused. I obtained my OA VISA in Australia last year. So, according to the ruling, I need to have the health insurance. Yet part of the requirement for the VISA was to have a deposit of 800k in a Thai bank AC, which I had.

so, do I also have to keep the 800k in the bank for 2 month prior and 3 month after, then 400k after that?

Also, when I come to renew the VISA, am I ok to do this at the IO in Thailand?

Edited by ianezy0

51 minutes ago, khunpon said:

Full link here.

Immigation police doesn't give visas, they are obtained from embassies and consulates outside Thailand, which fall under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Foreign affairs. He'll be waiting for his orders for a long time.

• Like 1

Approaching 90 days I got a visit from a couple of Immigration Police because they'd never seen the visa I have before.  All was okay, photos taken, fingers pointed, non alcoholic drinks accepted, but I wish they communicated with themselves before coming after us.  I'm 100% compliant with 'their' law.  If I was in BKK rather than Udon it wouldn't happen.

I still don't know if I have to buy a 2nd insurance for outpatient, or (preferably) put some cash on escrow, or another option.  Causes a lot of drama for the farangs/photocopier monitors and the rest of us so called low life payers.

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

As usual IO's will consider it open to their own interpretation.

I would just like to know if Medicare is considered adequate cover. I would have to fly home, but I am already paying for it.

38 minutes ago, Maestro said:

So your saying what the Nation published was fake news?... and we all have our knickers in a tizzy because the owners of this forum quoted and published this alleged statement from a Thai official... And now this thread is walking it back...

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Approaching 90 days I got a visit from a couple of Immigration Police because they'd never seen the visa I have before.  All was okay, photos taken, fingers pointed, non alcoholic drinks accepted, but I wish they communicated with themselves before coming after us.  I'm 100% compliant with 'their' law.  If I was in BKK rather than Udon it wouldn't happen.

I still don't know if I have to buy a 2nd insurance for outpatient, or (preferably) put some cash on escrow, or another option.  Causes a lot of drama for the farangs/photocopier monitors and the rest of us so called low life payers.

There should NEVER be a case where an IO official is unfamiliar with a particular type of visa. Poor training or total LACK of training??

57 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you have out patient to 40,000?

No I don't and do not particualrly want it either.   I assure you to add outpatient cover to my insurance plan is very exepnsive as I explained and would mean rarely would you have a no claim year witrhthe nice 10% bonus back.  As I said outpatient costs are pretty small usually no more than about 400 Baht.  If I need a non inpatient single day procedure like say a colonoscopy I get pre authorisation from my insurance company which if the doctor says is a necessary procedure they approve and reimburse me up to the maximum cover for that procedure plus 80% of the excess too, so usually is fully covered unless I use the expensive private hospitals where I would usually incur some excess out of my own pocket and get reimbursed. 

For inpatient claims they pay usually just about all and without my paying up front and having the hassle to claim it back afterwards.  However, once again unless it is an expensive rip off private hostpital, they usually pay all less any rare but usually small excess, which I have to pay of course as per the policy schedule.    

I've been very satisfied up to now with my health insurance policy and looks like from this thread I do not need to add the unwanted and expensive outpatients cover now.  I do though agree it would be better if there was a National Health Insurance scheme which would be much cheaper than private insurance and just cover for state hospitals or certainly limit any private hoispital charge to no more than the state hospital equivalent charge for whatever the treatment you have. 

11 minutes ago, rayw said:

No I don't and do not particualrly want it either.   I assure you to add outpatient cover to my insurance plan is very exepnsive as I explained and would mean rarely would you have a no claim year witrhthe nice 10% bonus back.  As I said outpatient costs are pretty small usually no more than about 400 Baht.  If I need a non inpatient single day procedure like say a colonoscopy I get pre authorisation from my insurance company which if the doctor says is a necessary procedure they approve and reimburse me up to the maximum cover for that procedure plus 80% of the excess too, so usually is fully covered unless I use the expensive private hospitals where I would usually incur some excess out of my own pocket and get reimbursed. 

For inpatient claims they pay usually just about all and without my paying up front and having the hassle to claim it back afterwards.  However, once again unless it is an expensive rip off private hostpital, they usually pay all less any rare but usually small excess, which I have to pay of course as per the policy schedule.    

I've been very satisfied up to now with my health insurance policy and looks like from this thread I do not need to add the unwanted and expensive outpatients cover now.  I do though agree it would be better if there was a National Health Insurance scheme which would be much cheaper than private insurance and just cover for state hospitals or certainly limit any private hoispital charge to no more than the state hospital equivalent charge for whatever the treatment you have. 

So I guess if some posters are correct and it includes retirement extensions you will be leaving Thailand?  I have A1A and mine does not include OP either and I have VA coverage for heart and other critical areas but no OP coverage except as it applies to heart issues and I called A1A and they know nothing about all of this 40k 400k stuff.  So I guess I'm out of luck too.  

Edited by marcusarelus