Dead 250 Gb Western Digital Hd

h90

one chip on the small board of it burned out, never saw that.

Actually it is nearly complete full with my mp3/movies and all my company datas (including thousands of customer creditcard-informations).

The company data/mp3 are also on my main computer so no problem, but I would loose all my movies.

Most probably it is enough to exchange that small board (would need 1 min work, 4 screws/1plug).

I bought it at Hardware House Panthip.

Do you know if there is a Western Union service center where I can walk in, explain that and someone just try to exchange that small board? Instead of taking the HD and giving me a new one?

If buying a new one I don't know if it is the same board or they changed something.

I'm sure Western Union will be baffled when you bring them a hard drive seeing as their business is money transfers.

Storing customer credit card info unencrypted is a major no-no and illegal in many countries.

one chip on the small board of it burned out, never saw that.

Actually it is nearly complete full with my mp3/movies and all my company datas (including thousands of customer creditcard-informations).

The company data/mp3 are also on my main computer so no problem, but I would loose all my movies.

Most probably it is enough to exchange that small board (would need 1 min work, 4 screws/1plug).

I bought it at Hardware House Panthip.

Do you know if there is a Western Union service center where I can walk in, explain that and someone just try to exchange that small board? Instead of taking the HD and giving me a new one?

If buying a new one I don't know if it is the same board or they changed something.

Before it hits the bin, open it up yourself, get the plates out and cut them.

We don't know what that "small board" is, could be a crucial part that runs the microcode - they tend, just before they die, to send corrupt data wherever they can, rendering the disk unrecoverable, other than by very expensive HDD forensic services. For a disk that is 30-40$, you really have to need that data very badly to go to that length.

Are you mixing things up or you meant Western Digital service center when you said "Western Union"?

Western Digital would do nothing about data recovery, same with all disk vendors on the planet - data backup is your responsibility.

If your disk is under warranty you may get a new one.

Even if WD accepted to recover the data, I would not surrender customer credit card information to a black hole, that may be anywhere, in India for example, and then my company name hits the press with disclosed and abused customer information. Adio disk.

I had 2 WD 160Gb disks die in a row.

Replaced under guarantee, but that is not the point........ :D

I would never trust them again.

Astral, could you give more information about how long after you bought did they conk out? Also, are you a heavy user or just an average Joe? :o

Actually I've been hearing about WD failures left and right lately. Definitely replace it with something else if you can't get it done on warrantee.

Yep, I had a 160G WD die on me last year after only 6 months.

"Warranty sir of course", "by the way did you have it in an external housing", "yes" (idiot me), "sorry warranty not valid, bye".

I'm running a 250gb WD on this machine. Think I'll order a new copy of Spinrite just in case.

I'm thinking there must have been a bad batch of HDs from them. Normally they're a trustworthy source of hardware.

Edited by cdnvic

There is a guy in the UK who does data recovery at a 'reasonable' price.

Often he gets an old drive of **exactly** the same model and swaps the board over and can then recover the data.

If you want his name and contact then PM me.

Tell me you're not storing customer CC info on the same non-encrypted drive as downloaded movies and mp3s?

Something this important isn't backed up?

No that is the backup drive, what is broken, which I connect once a week to the computers and make the backup.

As well there is a second backup for the creditcardinfos in Europe. so thats not the problem, but the rest on the HD and that I don't want to give it out of my hand with that informations on it.

I'm sure Western Union will be baffled when you bring them a hard drive seeing as their business is money transfers.

Storing customer credit card info unencrypted is a major no-no and illegal in many countries.

Sorry confused the WU with the WD.... late night.

Never heared that it is anywhere illegal to store credit card infos unencrypted. All the companys I know have unencrypted backups and have their main computer is not encrypted. Some still process them per excel sheet. There is nothing wrong with that and noone demands an encryption. just the information should be safe. Not somewhere, which can be attacked by Hacker easily. Not sent per email/http.

But you can store them like you want. Some CC companies want the informations per post/fax. Paper is also unencrypted.

But I can't give the HD back.

There is nothing wrong with that and noone demands an encryption. just the information should be safe.

Wrong. You would be criminally negligent doing business like you are in a number of US states.

http://www.shift4.com/CC_security.htm

Thats the only thing I find there:

If you are running a website consider purchasing Web Liability Insurance and Web Outage Loss of Income Insurance. Just as you insure your physical business, insurance for your website is just as important. Do not store cardholder information on your Web Server. Also do not e-mail cardholder information. Both of these are the easiest for hackers to gain access to and therefore access to your customer’s information. Use an SSL certificate to provide Secure Socket Layers for your website and encryption of customer information between your Web Server and your customer’s Web Browser.

Any of your computers that have access to the Internet should be hidden behind a Firewall to prevent unauthorized access by thieves looking for an easy target.

Thats all no matter of question. VISA/Mastercard/American Express gave me an contract reviewing my business and didn't had any problems with it. Thats simply not true and of course does not make any sense, or can you explain why my backup Harddisk should be encrypted???

Thats all no matter of question. VISA/Mastercard/American Express gave me an contract reviewing my business and didn't had any problems with it. Thats simply not true and of course does not make any sense, or can you explain why my backup Harddisk should be encrypted???

No, it does not mean your HDD has to be encrypted.

ISMS (Information Security Management System) certification, that many companies comply with, requires that HDD access must be protected with hardware password.

That means, on power up, before the machine even goes into Bios and further, a HDD password has to be entered. So, not even a vendor can get into a stolen/lost PC or HDD even if the disk is extracted and taken to the cleaners.

ISMS (Information Security Management System) certification, that many companies comply with, requires that HDD access must be protected with hardware password.

That means, on power up, before the machine even goes into Bios and further, a HDD password has to be entered. So, not even a vendor can get into a stolen/lost PC or HDD even if the disk is extracted and taken to the cleaners.

Basically noone is using that. I know a few hotels and for sure 20 internet shops and noone is using that. All have SSL on the server to protect on the contact to the customer and have then different safe ways to get the infos down to a normal Windows computer.

That are not such critical informations, every service person in restaurant get it together with the 3 digit code. Some shops put the slips with the number just somewhere in the desk, where it would be easy to get them. American Express let us send lists with normal post, the postman could open them all. It is really something you should take care but it is super critic. Still a lot people are sending creditcardinfos per email and I don't know one problem with it, but a zillion of problems from someone paying somewhere and they order something over internet with that details.

seeing how we are on Thaivisa.com and focusing on bkk, I would be safe to assume that he is not 'in a number of US states'....

and it is not valid for the states, I know a couple shops there and noone knows about that.

Basically noone is using that. I know a few hotels and for sure 20 internet shops and noone is using that. All have SSL on the server to protect on the contact to the customer and have then different safe ways to get the infos down to a normal Windows computer.

That are not such critical informations, every service person in restaurant get it together with the 3 digit code. Some shops put the slips with the number just somewhere in the desk, where it would be easy to get them. American Express let us send lists with normal post, the postman could open them all. It is really something you should take care but it is super critic. Still a lot people are sending creditcardinfos per email and I don't know one problem with it, but a zillion of problems from someone paying somewhere and they order something over internet with that details.

It's not about disabling communication of personal information - it is about securing it.

One American health insurance company that moved their back office to India faced a threat by one disgruntled employee there that she will, if not given (monetary) satisfaction after her termination, post customers personal health information (from the claim forms she was working on) to the Internet.

In this tread, exactly the situation OP's company (through him but he is not important here) is taking their customers into. No wonder many companies will be asked to demonstrate what they do to prevent situations like this.

Without ISMS certification, corporates can hardly do any business these days. IBM, HP, DELL, Oracle.....they are all ISMS certified (subject to random and sudden inspections prior to license renewal) and all guarantee that their staff computers, if lost or stolen will not allow access to an unauthorized (or even criminal) person.

It's not only that - all computers must be set to go into power protected screen saver after 10 minutes of no activity, no software other than controlled by corporate may be installed (I can't have my digital camera's software on the work laptop), no Skype...MSN, Yahoo Messenger, AOL IM are allowed (but not supported) and can not send/receive files and images...

Edited by think_too_mut

I had 2 WD 160Gb disks die in a row.

Replaced under guarantee, but that is not the point........ :D

I would never trust them again.

Astral, could you give more information about how long after you bought did they conk out? Also, are you a heavy user or just an average Joe? :o

I think it was a 2 year guarantee and the first one failed after about 9-10 months.

It was replaced under guarantee and that lasted about the same time.

I got the 3rd one just before the guarantee expired.

It was basically a back up disk for video and music.

Not really heavy use.

Sorry this reply strays from the OPs subject, but the issue of data security is one close to my wallet.

This software security site has some interesting points, the laptop that I am about to use for a bank transfer is protected by PointSec software amoung other "things".

I'm looking to install something like this on all my domestic computers and back up devices in case of theft; it is getting to the point that domestic data security needs to at least match corprate practices. If not for the value of the data but to prevent personal information or even holiday pictures and videos being "misused" or left in the open public domain.

I read an article some months ago on the subject of second hand mobile telephones, sold complete with the last owner's contact telephone numbers and in many cases pictures and video content still intact.

but coming back to the question:

I need a new PCB for the WD2500JB-00REA0.

the PCB is labeled with 2060-701292-001 Rev A. Than I only need to swap a chip and with luck it works again.

the PCB is labeled with 2060-701292-001 Rev A. Than I only need to swap a chip and with luck it works again.

Hi,

First happy birthday, though I'm not able to offer a present here I think. I've never been able to find an effective supplier of single chips. WD doesn't have a service centre here either, despite building disks in country.

Options may be to get another drive and swap just the chip or try to replace the PCB but that can be problematic.

Regards

Hi,

First happy birthday, though I'm not able to offer a present here I think. I've never been able to find an effective supplier of single chips. WD doesn't have a service centre here either, despite building disks in country.

Options may be to get another drive and swap just the chip or try to replace the PCB but that can be problematic.

Regards

Thanks for the "happy birthday".

The PCB can be swaped easily, but they always change things so I need one very close to my production date and than it still does not work, there is one tiny 8 pin chip which needs to match, that must be moved to the "new" PCB. Actually a work of 2 min for a proffessional. But they charge arround 300-500 USD for knowing how to do it.....

If I don't find something in the next few days I go to PanTip but I doubt that I find someone who knows what I talk about...