New York City Mayor de Blasio launches bid for Democratic presidential nomination

snoop1130

New York City Mayor de Blasio launches bid for Democratic presidential nomination

By Joseph Ax

800x800 (3).jpg

FILE PHOTO: New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio speaks at the 2019 National Action Network National Convention in New York, U.S., April 3, 2019. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, an unapologetically progressive Democrat who has been a frequent critic of the Trump administration's policies, has decided to go after the president's job.

De Blasio, 57, launched his candidacy for president on Thursday with the central campaign message, "Working People First," after months of speculation that he would add his name to a growing list of Democrats eager to take on President Donald Trump in the 2020 election.

In a video released on Thursday, de Blasio returned to the theme of income inequality that animated his first mayoral campaign in 2013, when he emerged as a leading voice for the burgeoning left wing that has since reshaped his party.

"People in every part of this country feel stuck or even like they're going backwards," he said in the video. "But the rich got richer."

The mayor, who is barred from seeking a third four-year term in 2021, has struggled to build a national profile, even as he has been eclipsed in the national consciousness by other progressives like U.S. senators Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, who are now his rivals for the presidency.

He is scheduled to travel to the early-voting states of Iowa and South Carolina this weekend to begin campaigning.

In the video, the mayor emphasized his record of progressive accomplishments, including universal pre-kindergarten, a $15 minimum wage and paid sick leave, all in a city that has a bigger population, more than 8 million, than most U.S. states.

He also promised to stand up to Trump.

"Don't back down in the face of a bully," he said. "Confront him and take him on."

Still, de Blasio faces an uphill battle to stand out among nearly two dozen Democratic contenders, including former Vice President Joe Biden and a long list of experienced politicians.

Most New Yorkers appear unenthusiastic about de Blasio's presidential aspirations. A Quinnipiac University poll in April found more than three-quarters of New Yorkers did not feel he should make a White House bid.

His popularity took a hit after a federal investigation found the mayor made inquiries to city agencies on behalf of donors, though it cleared him of criminal wrongdoing. De Blasio has denied misconduct, saying he acted appropriately at all times.

De Blasio has sharply criticized Trump on issues like climate change, immigration and policing. On Monday, he held a news conference inside Trump Tower to call on the Trump Organization to meet newly enacted emissions standards in their skyscrapers, or face significant fines.

In a preview of what could be to come, the event drew scathing insults on Twitter from Trump's two oldest sons, Eric and Donald Jr., who run the family company. The president retweeted a message from Eric Trump slamming de Blasio's stewardship of his family's hometown.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-16
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Guy is a loser who's not even from NY.

Sounds a lot like Hillary me thinks......

He was born there and spent his early childhood there. After graduating from high school he wnet to undergraduate and graduate school there. In other words as soon as he had a say in the matter he returned to NY.

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

Trump nailed this guy. 

If you like high taxes and crime, de Blasio is your man. 

You may be on to something Donald loves high taxes as long as the working class are paying them and Donald is certainly a criminal!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Violent crime in New York City has been dropping since 1991[1] and, as of 2017, is among the lowest of major cities in the United States. In 2017, there were 290 homicides, the lowest number since the 1940s.[2] According to a 2015 ranking of 50 cities by The Economist, New York was the 10th-overall-safest major city in the world, as well as the 28th-safest in personal safety.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_York_City

That's all true, but it came at the cost of kicking out virtually everyone that isn't rich (or upper middle class anyway).

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

If I'm wrong, please forgive me, but I'm going to assume that you're not confined to a wheelchair and your only source of information is what can be supplied by a "link". Some of us actually live in this world. We travel. We observe. We read. We know people who supply us with information we've grown to trust.

Anyhow, you've probably already found the link I'm not going to bother looking for.

A good thing observer bias isn't a thing. Otherwise I might have grouns to challenge you. And you've got quite a history of making unflattering comments about New Yorkers. Not that that signifies anything.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

A good thing observer bias isn't a thing. Otherwise I might have grouns to challenge you. And you've got quite a history of making unflattering comments about New Yorkers. Not that that signifies anything.

Actually, I like New Yorkers. But you have to understand, they're different. I count several New Yorkers as friends. Not the ones that have come lately but multi generational. Some have since moved out to Long Island or Florida but to me they're still New Yorkers(in a good way).

2 minutes ago, phkauf said:

After living in NYC for 20+ years (born there as well), I moved to Thailand in 2015 as things were starting to go downhill in the city. I'm back there almost every six months for a visit and each time things are worse than the past time. On my visit last month, I noticed the number of homeless and mentally disturbed people and seriously drugged up people (passed out on the sidewalk with NYPD surrounding them) was way more than I had ever seen.

Bill DeB is the worst mayor I have ever seen, including Dinkins who at least tried to do the job. DeB doesn't even make an effort, it's all about big ideas and taking credit for other people's success and throwing blame around for his failures.

He should wake up EVERY day and send a thank you note to Mike Bloomberg who did a great job of setting things up so the city was in such great shape before DeB got in. 

DeB is only running so he can get donations for his political action committee (likely from people who want special favors from him as Mayor) and to position himself for the next job in government. Since he has never had a real job in his life, politics is all he has.

This A-hole woke up on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

The most disturbing thing about his tenure is that for most of it crime rates continued to fall.

As for homelessness here's a graph that shows levels of occupancy in NYC shelters.

Image result for rate of homelessness in nyc historical

Notice how the surge began well before De Blasio's took office in 2014? And who was Mayor then? Somehow you managed not to notice that surge when Bloomberg was mayor. Good thing that observer bias is not an issue in your case or I might be tempted to doubt the validity of your observations.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

If I'm wrong, please forgive me, but I'm going to assume that you're not confined to a wheelchair and your only source of information is what can be supplied by a "link". Some of us actually live in this world. We travel. We observe. We read. We know people who supply us with information we've grown to trust.

Anyhow, you've probably already found the link I'm not going to bother looking for.

It would have been easier, less wastefulness of time and more honest to say you don’t have a link.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The most disturbing thing about his tenure is that for most of it crime rates continued to fall.

As for homelessness here's a graph that shows levels of occupancy in NYC shelters.

Image result for rate of homelessness in nyc historical

Notice how the surge began well before De Blasio's took office in 2014? And who was Mayor then? Somehow you managed not to notice that surge when Bloomberg was mayor. Good thing that observer bias is not an issue in your case or I might be tempted to doubt the validity of your observations.

Homelessness is a function of the wealthy taking over cities. The gutting of the middle class. All of the wealthiest major cities in America have a homeless crisis.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Homelessness is a function of the wealthy taking over cities. The gutting of the middle class. All of the wealthiest major cities in America have a homeless crisis.

So you disagree with phkauf assigning the blame to De Blasio?

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

So you disagree with phkauf assigning the blame to De Blasio?

Well, it started with Giulliani. He made the city much safer, although one could argue about how he did so. That was the biggest step. Bloomberg, riding on his coattails went after the big money and it flooded in along with the post 9/11 money. All of these things served to displace people, AND create big tax bases that eithier through expedience or guilt created a lot of social programs that catered to marginalized persons. Those programs are still in place but the growth that his predecessors enjoyed probably is not. No, I don't blame DeBlasio for the homeless in New York. It is a function of extreme wealth disparity among a few other things like people gaming the system, which I put at much lower level.

Honestly, this is getting a bit out-of-hand.  So many Dems running and most with near zero chance of getting the nomination.  I suppose they just want to get their ideas out there...or make some money...or bash on Trump.  We should just give it to Biden and move on. 

15 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Honestly, this is getting a bit out-of-hand.  So many Dems running and most with near zero chance of getting the nomination.  I suppose they just want to get their ideas out there...or make some money...or bash on Trump.  We should just give it to Biden and move on. 

I'm guessing it is an explicit attempt to splinter the non Biden vote. 2016ish ; same same but different.

This is like the 25th POTUS Democrat candidate?

Regardless of anyone's credentials and fitness to run, I'm "loving it."

It means that every day in the news media there's a Democrat candidate laying out populist ideas and criticizing Trump who is used to politically dominating the news 24/7. Even now FOX News is using airtime for some of those candidates and Trump's tweets can't keep up with the deluge Democrat political agendas.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There is no demand for him to be president.

He must know that himself.

I don't think there is much of a downside though for anyone to run for this nomination considering the odds are almost impossible for all but a few. 

Not sure about his specific motivations.

Perhaps to troll "trump" as a fellow New Yorker.