Mail Delivery

swm59nj

How reliable is the mail delivery in Bangkok if Im renting a condo. I collect Social Security Benefits from the USA. I have direct deposit in my USA bank so Im not concerned about that. But I just learned from Social Security that they will only send correspondence to me through the mail. Not checks, but if they have to notify me of something. And they are going to send a questionnaire to me once a year if I live overseas. If the mail is returned to them, they will stop my benefits until Im able to resolve it. And I must give them my overseas address where Im residing.

Edited by swm59nj

Generally the mail service if fine.Howrver as with most things it can vary from place to place. Most issues tend to be with the Postman not the service itself.

To ensure this aspect is better, get yourself a PO Box at your local office then you are not reliant on the Postman. 500 baht yr is usual cost.

• Like 2

Generally the mail service if fine.Howrver as with most things it can vary from place to place. Most issues tend to be with the Postman not the service itself.
To ensure this aspect is better, get yourself a PO Box at your local office then you are not reliant on the Postman. 500 baht yr is usual cost.

My opinion and experience is the same as the above... overall, more than acceptable... that said, I also love in a large, well-known condo building in my postal delivery area and we have overall good delivery staff..

Like the above, I too went and got a P.O. Box - mine is at Nana P.O. as that was the closest office that had open boxes at the time i was looking.. Bangrak was full as was Yanna Wa... the only issue that might come up is - as I recall and is the case at the Nana P.O. - is that the area where the boxes are, is in a secured part of the larger P.O. building, thus is inaccessible after post office lobby hours.... yes, I have heard other P.O.s have 24/7 access, so I’d be sure to check this out IF this is a concern for you. But overall having a P.O. does remove one layer of potential delivery problems... and at B500 per year (for the smallest box and paid in one yearly amount) is an easy to afford price.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im the OP who asked the question. I called Social Security Administration today. I asked to confirm that if any correspondence was returned, do they just stop my benefits immediately. The representative said yes, until its corrected. I asked if there were any other options to try to avoid this type of issue. The response was " If you are so concerned, don't move there then" Great answer. So I asked the representative if you are going to stop my benefits because of an address issue, how will I know. Because you only communicate with people via regular mail. Her response was " You will know when you don't receive your benefits anymore"  What a world LOL.

I have found that if the envelope has anything written on it that corresponds to a bank or financial institution it can and sometimes does go missing, any mail that has the possibility of something of value is fair game to some, Registered letters etc are much safer and ones without any logos etc indicating the sender

How reliable is the mail delivery in Bangkok if Im renting a condo. I collect Social Security Benefits from the USA. I have direct deposit in my USA bank so Im not concerned about that. But I just learned from Social Security that they will only send correspondence to me through the mail. Not checks, but if they have to notify me of something. And they are going to send a questionnaire to me once a year if I live overseas. If the mail is returned to them, they will stop my benefits until Im able to resolve it. And I must give them my overseas address where Im residing.
It's better to keep a mailing address with a freind in the USA. I've been gone 8 years.. Never gotten such a letter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On 5/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, CharlieH said:

Yeah! you are right... Postman creates the issue. The postman delay for the delivery. 

If your US service will send you the benefits only via that service, then please do so. If possible you can rent yourself something in US like another PO box and then from service which gave you PO box do all the rest, i.e. that correspondence to you really.