Private hospital in trouble for charging Bt30,000 for diarrhoea

webfact

2 hours ago, justin case said:

ok, next time you have diarrhea,  let it all come out...body is not stupid ...   take charcoal and lots of water and in most cases, you save yourself the horror of hospital, best place to get new diseases

people here hardly wash hands when going to toilet (restaurant uniform) so why you think it would be any different from nurses and arrogant doctors ? 

While I agree about your hospital assessment, I find that charcoal makes no difference with these nasty Thai bacterial infections.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monkeycu said:

Corn flour mixed with a little water works fine, assuming you have the flour and don't mind the aftertaste :bah:

I will try that one if I do get an attack, maybe a little drop of sprite added would 'make the medicine go down'.

6 hours ago, brokenbone said:

i paid 10k some 17 years ago on pattaya memorial hospital.

I went to Pattaya soi 4 hospital with the same complaint.  The doc was not clear & kept asking me to commit.  (Suicide?)  Eventually it became clear he wanted me in overnight.  I refused; whereupon he prescribed SEVEN sets of medication.  When I got home I checked what each was for on the Internet - one was for epilepsy in dogs!

• Haha 2

i was in private hospital in sukhumwit a few year ago when we think that i had a hart attac. after many ekg and talks to many doctors the bill with farmacy was only 2000 baht so its not allways they overcharge. so i think when they charge 

30 000 baht for bad stomack i think there is more then whats beeing told.

36 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

My local hospital Chiang Mai Ram charged me 89 baht for one asprin, I brought some more at the chemist for 1 baht each.

This is not naming and shaming as this is the price they charge for asprin.

Am I being overcharged, I'm sure they would say that I'm not!!

Same price for everyone? 

4 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

It seems they are adopting the American business model,  where I was charged 17,000 dollars for one night in the hospital, no operations or medications, and treated like a derelict the entire time.   

I was charged $37,000 for three nights in USA hospital; couple IVs, blood tests. Two recent prescription drugs had combined to shut down my kidneys. A year later I went by ambulance to a private hospital in Pattaya. They wanted 50,000b a night in intensive care to observe me. My Thai friend got the ambulance back and we went to the government hospital. Quickly diagnosed as blocked bowel because of diverticulosis. Lots of tubes, operation avoided. Three days, $500.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mac98 said:

I was charged $37,000 for three nights in USA hospital; couple IVs, blood tests. Two recent prescription drugs had combined to shut down my kidneys. A year later I went by ambulance to a private hospital in Pattaya. They wanted 50,000b a night in intensive care to observe me. My Thai friend got the ambulance back and we went to the government hospital. Quickly diagnosed as blocked bowel because of diverticulosis. Lots of tubes, operation avoided. Three days, $500.

I had a new bionic body done UK equivalent to the $6,000,000 man FREE....

4 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

It seems they are adopting the American business model,  where I was charged 17,000 dollars for one night in the hospital, no operations or medications, and treated like a derelict the entire time.   

That is your own fault for using a private hospital (probably BKK) I use a government hospital or the one private hospital in Surin that I know charges reasonable prices, example, wife had her appendix out, 3 days, private room 28,000 Baht, would have been even cheaper in a government hospital.

Private hospitals always overcharge for everything.  I am a retired teacher and many of my former students are the children of doctors and are now doctors themselves.  They ALL tell me never to go to a private hospital unless I do not have any other choice.  Some of these doctors are also medical professors and practice at both government and private facilities.  Private hospitals are businesses and nothing more.

My wife takes her mother to the private hospital near where we live. The price for treatment varies depending on which doctor she sees. Crazy, but seems to be the way. 

30k for the shits... good job he was cured otherwise he'd shit himself seeing that!

7 hours ago, brokenbone said:

Same as me I paid one night in hospital for a nose bleed 25,000 let me out next day wanted me to come back 3 days to cheak did not go back might be another 5,000 Haaaa!

7 hours ago, brokenbone said:

10 days ago I had a job to breathe in the night and was taken to a hospital in Phuket, Stayed overnight and left after getting a first days bill of B126,000. Had the same thing yester. Got anti biotic pills locally. A day laid out in bed, a good sleep and fine today. Great saving

3 hours ago, monkeycu said:

Corn flour mixed with a little water works fine, assuming you have the flour and don't mind the aftertaste :bah:

Simple fix.

Grate and apple and eat it.

Amazing how it works..

Something to do with the pectin and it binds your poo together. 

To privatize ... land, air, water and fire
To privatize ... alpha, beta, gamma and delta

To privatize clouds, wind, rain and sun, parks, monuments, museums, pigeons, army, police, hospitals, firefighters, rivers, lakes, valleys, hills and mountains, deserts, forests ....

To privatize ... up, down, left and right

To privatize the solar system, cosmos, the moon, logic, science and education, sexual intercourse and masturbation, hope, belief, love and freedom, mother, father sister and brother

To privatize ... alpha, beta, gamma and delta

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

If convicted, the hospital/its executive will face up to seven years in jail and/or a fine of Bt140,000. 

The source added that the Internal Trade Department has summoned the management of 70 out of 353 private hospitals for a discussion on why the price of medicines they sell are three to nine times higher than market prices. 

Because they're in the business of making huge profits.... sick people are an easy target!

27 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Simple fix.

Grate and apple and eat it.

Amazing how it works..

Something to do with the pectin and it binds your poo together. 

An old friend of mine told me about the apple, I thought it was her having a lend of me.

Maybe next time the inlaws visit I will try some  

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, marcher said:

10 days ago I had a job to breathe in the night and was taken to a hospital in Phuket, Stayed overnight and left after getting a first days bill of B126,000. Had the same thing yester. Got anti biotic pills locally. A day laid out in bed, a good sleep and fine today. Great saving

I've been unfortunate enough to need hospital treatment (and always went to private hospitals) a few times on Phuket, and can't say that I've been overcharged.  Perhaps it might have been cheaper for a Thai, but the costs weren't excessive to the point you've named.

Having said this, it was a few years ago and, from what I've heard, private hospitals are getting worse as they increasingly become far more interested in putting profit before genuine customer care ☹️.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Surasak said:

" Of course, if the treatment from the pharmacy doesn't work then it's not really a simple case of diarrhoea, is it"? 

Probably not, but my next port of call would be my local clinic. They have been very good in the past, giving good advice and service. And they don't charge an arm and a leg, for their service. 

I would be very careful with that last sentence when going to a hospital my friend ????