An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office

2 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I know it's kind of pointless to ask "why" ... but if she was prepared to accept all your docs and give you that slip, why couldn't she just give your package to the people upstairs and let them process it without you having to return?

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

Just did my retirement extension renewal, nothing has changed from the last years requirement.

Except, there is now a limit on how many retirement extensions they will handle per day...I arrived at immigration last week just after 10:30am (it should have been sooner but the bank took it's time doing the statement etc) and was told by the lady downstairs who checks all your documents that the days quota had already been reached and that I would have to come back the following morning at 8:30am. She checked all my documents and gave me a further one to sign and using a binder clip put all the doc's together along with my passport and a slip which had the following days date and 8:30am written on it. She said I didn't have to queue up the next day, just come to the window and show her the slip and she would give me a ticket for upstairs.

This I did, and left 45mins after handing all the paperwork over to she-who-must-be-obeyed upstairs the following day.

Today I went and collected my passport...seeing as it was quiet there (there was a power cut and all their computers were off) I asked the lady downstairs who checks all the doc's what the quota was per day for extensions, it's apparently 10, so, if you're late or unlucky expect to be told to come back the following day at 8:30am 😉

I wonder if it is to do with the high season, and the numbers of tourists extending visas. It was extremely busy when I last went there end of July.

Things should quieten down a little now the schools are starting the new year in Europe.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I wonder if it is to do with the high season, and the numbers of tourists extending visas. It was extremely busy when I last went there end of July.

Things should quieten down a little now the schools are starting the new year in Europe.

I agree. They get a lot of walk-ins .

Not only tourists but also conscript refugees from both KPN and Samui.

Then there are the business visas etc for old farts like me. :thumbsup:

I know that when my accountant does my business visa, my passport it is AWOL from the office for a while with a number of temporary extensions whilst the company accounts and work permit are also checked and so on.

Edited by Tropicalevo

12 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Then there are the business visas etc for old farts like me. :thumbsup:

I know that when my accountant does my business visa, my passport it is AWOL from the office for a while with a number of temporary extensions whilst the company accounts and work permit are also checked and so on.

But think about it:  in a given month, there are a certain number of people who have to extend their retirement stays, because they are expiring.  So say there are 100 in August.  They will not reduce their workload by making you come there twice.   If they want to spread them out, just 10 each day, they can accept your package the first time you come and do some the next day or whenever.  It seems they made Neilly come back just to take the package upstairs which they already had downstairs.

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

The place was almost deserted when I went there on the first day at 10:30, I thought my luck was in and it was going to be a breeze

3 hours ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

It seems they made Neilly come back just to take the package upstairs which they already had downstairs.

No, I had to take my paperwork home and bring it back the next day

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Good point, if a boat load arrive from KPN before you you're screwed...but we're only talking about retirement extensions

On 8/29/2024 at 6:49 AM, TerraplaneGuy said:

I know it's kind of pointless to ask "why" ... but if she was prepared to accept all your docs and give you that slip, why couldn't she just give your package to the people upstairs and let them process it without you having to return?

Because you need to apply in person; the office downstairs just check that the needed documents are there and gives you a queue number.

On 8/29/2024 at 9:25 AM, phetphet said:

Likely not to do with tourists and their visa extension, as it's two different systems and counters.