British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Nonsense. People's opinions and votes can change. Why are Brexiteers so scared of asking the people?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You are absolutely correct so let us go back to the 1975 referendum and change our votes. 

Is that OK with you?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Basil B said:

Camaran ran a way...

May has her marching orders...

Corbyn got a bloody good kicking...

As for Corbyn he has not made his mind categorically stated so in an interview with the BBC this morning,  Alastair Campbell  said “I also think it’s the right thing that the Labour party gets the message that this policy of riding two horses has failed.”

So what. Each of them made it very clear at the time that there would be NO second referendum.

It is still not rocket science and not hard to understand.

If you cannot understand that I feel sorry for you.

BTW please try to spell names correctly. It is polite if nothing else.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

They can ask Parliament but need 2/3 of MP's to vote for it, I do not think Labour would be that stupid. they have more than 210 MP's so can block it.

If there is a GE the result in reality will hand the UK Lock Stock and Barrel to UKIP MkII... 

One Consultation is as a MEP Farage can not be our PM. 

Who are "they"?

And why are remainers so scared of actually implementing the result of the people’s referendum, are they afraid that the U.K. might be successful out of the E.U. Contrary to all the scare stories we have been subject to.
Because it will destroy the country economically and denies me and my children freedom of movement.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"I suppose they could fly goods in at inflated prices, though.."

Inflated prices above and beyond those the consumer is already paying as a result of the eu CAP policy?

If we're leaving the EU, then agricultural goods would have to be imported from outside the EU. Or do you want to stay in the EU?

Make up your mind.

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

No, https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45112872the UK and the E.U would automatically fall back to the WTO trading rules and there are indeed already plans in place .

Have another link and stop worrying

Links up there , my C&P is malfunctioning 

Extract from this article: Once the UK is no longer part of the EU, both sides need to find a way to work with each other's regulations. Under a no-deal Brexit that is unlikely to happen immediately.

So it's not that simple, is it? You really think it's going to be a cakewalk, and everything will be hunky-dory for the UK, as if the UK is the greatest and everyone else would bow, and pay homage, and accede to our demands from day one.

Don't think so. 

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

Taunton Deane, which is where my proxy vote goes to, voted for Brexit in the referendum. Rebecca Pow is the Tory MP and is a Remainer and has always voted in parliament that way even though her constituents voted to leave. Who or what gives her the right to ignore her constituents wishes?

She was elected by them. Tough brexshit she puts country first and foremost.  

22 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"I suppose they could fly goods in at inflated prices, though.."

Inflated prices above and beyond those the consumer is already paying as a result of the eu CAP policy?

28 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

If we're leaving the EU, then agricultural goods would have to be imported from outside the EU. Or do you want to stay in the EU?

Make up your mind.

I'm not sure why you are confused by my post?

Clearly (?) I was referring to agricultural goods from outside the eu.  You seem to forget that eu consumer prices are kept artificially high as a result of the eu CAP policy.

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

<snip>

Taunton Deane, which is where my proxy vote goes to, voted for Brexit in the referendum. Rebecca Pow is the Tory MP and is a Remainer and has always voted in parliament that way even though her constituents voted to leave. Who or what gives her the right to ignore her constituents wishes?

30 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

"Tough brexshit she puts country first and foremost"

????  And remainers think leavers are gullible!

To look on the bright side bill, she is likely to be voted out at the next GE.

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Clearly (?) I was referring to agricultural goods from outside the eu.  You seem to forget that eu consumer prices are kept artificially high as a result of the eu CAP policy.

It would take too long to explain a policy that is a subsidy paid to member farmers by the EU, including the UK. Do you honestly think that outside the EU, imported goods are going to be cheaper, particularly if they're flown in from overseas in order to replenish the dimminishing supermarkets shelves? 

54 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Make up your mind.

20 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

9 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

It would take too long to explain a policy that is a subsidy paid to member farmers by the EU, including the UK. Do you honestly think that outside the EU, imported goods are going to be cheaper, particularly if they're flown in from overseas in order to replenish the dimminishing supermarkets shelves? 

To look on the bright side, I gather you are less confused as to my position?

No need to explain CAP policy to me or anyone else - we've all seen how it works......

But you raise a good point.  If we are forced into a no trading deal (with the eu) situation, then perhaps customs should introduce a separate line for non-eu produce?  (Sadly, I'm only partially joking!)

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

To look on the bright side, I gather you are less confused as to my position?

No need to explain CAP policy to me or anyone else - we've all seen how it works......

But you raise a good point.  If we are forced into a no deal situation, then perhaps customs should introduce a separate line for non-eu produce?  (Sadly, I'm only partially joking!)

Seriously, it could come to that. At least the UK consumers would likely get a fresher lettuce for a few quid more than before, partly owing to the next sharp fall in sterling.

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Seriously, it could come to that. At least the UK consumers would likely get a fresher lettuce for a few quid more than before, partly owing to the next sharp fall in sterling.

Why would sterling fall further if imported agricultural produce from countries other than the eu is allowed?

Presumably you mean it would fall further if no deal with the eu happens (that keeps the uk as part of the eu - regardless of whether or not it is better for the ordinary populace in the uk.....) which would seriously piss off big business etc.!

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Because it will destroy the country economically and denies me and my children freedom of movement.

It remains to be seen what effect it will have on the UK economy  and you and your Children can still go to Europe , just that you may or may not have to get a visa in the future 

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It remains to be seen what effect it will have on the UK economy  and you and your Children can still go to Europe , just that you may or may not have to get a visa in the future 

Quite.  Visiting Thailand for a holiday I never had to get a visa - but perhaps the eu will insist on this for brits. in the future when visiting eu countries ????.

31 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Having said this, I'm very happy to see the current political construct fall to pieces - as they clearly don't care about anyone other than themselves.

Who are “they”? When political constructs fall to pieces what makes you so confident that the replacement will be better? People like Farage and Banks talk a great deal about democracy but spend a lot of time praising those with a dictatorial bent, like Putin and Trump. Indeed, Banks likes them so much he regularly meets with former soviet intelligence officers (who are never “former”). Where did that £8m come from? We need to judge them not by what they say, but by the company they keep.

23 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Quite.  Visiting Thailand for a holiday I never had to get a visa - but perhaps the eu will insist on this for brits. in the future when visiting eu countries ????.

but you do need to get a visa to live or retire in Thailand long term.

29 minutes ago, sanemax said:

All of the hassle free and unrestricted access you have had to 27 EU countries for the productive part of your life will soon be denied the young people of the UK, thanks to your vote. The right to live, work and study ... having that option is a big plus for people, particularly those that would like to retire to Spain, France, etc. It’s not about “holidays” ... it goes much deeper than that.

So you take away those benefits and in return you saddle them with an economy with much reduced potential, poor relations with our neighbours, a crashed out currency, and a trade situation that has to begin from scratch. The heavy burden will fall on the most productive. I guess you are retired Max, so you will not be participating in the rebuilding efforts? When it doesn’t hit your pocket, just others, it’s much easier to vote for.

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You had a chance to do that in 2016. Now it's our turn.

Absolutely correct.

I voted to join the EEC in 1975 and having lived with it since then I voted to leave in 2016.

Assuming that there is a second referendum and the Remainers win I hope that you won't mind if the Leavers campaign for a 3rd referendum.

OTOH if there is a second referendum and the leavers win again, will you still want a 3rd referendum etc until you get the result that you want.

4 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Actually she was elected to represent the views of the constituency as are all UK MPs.

You really ought to try to moderate your language.

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

All of the hassle free and unrestricted access you have had to 27 EU countries for the productive part of your life will soon be denied the young people of the UK, thanks to your vote. The right to live, work and study ... having that option is a big plus for people, particularly those that would like to retire to Spain, France, etc. It’s not about “holidays” ... it goes much deeper than that.

So you take away those benefits and in return you saddle them with an economy with much reduced potential, poor relations with our neighbours, a crashed out currency, and a trade situation that has to begin from scratch. The heavy burden will fall on the most productive. I guess you are retired Max, so you will not be participating in the rebuilding efforts? When it doesn’t hit your pocket, just others, it’s much easier to vote for.

I remember Europeans working in the UK before FoM - and Brits working in Europe.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Tough brexshit she puts country first and foremost"

????  And remainers think leavers are gullible!

To look on the bright side bill, she is likely to be voted out at the next GE.

Actually she is a very nice lady and a lot of good work in the constituency.

Taunton Deane was a long term Liberal then a Lib/Dem constituency going back further than Jeremy Thorpe,

1..project fear part 2 re destroy the country economically..I do not think so.

2. Just apply for a visa..easy peasy re denying freedom of movement.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I remember Europeans working in the UK before FoM - and Brits working in Europe.

Of course you do, but under much more restrictions than currently. It’s not equivalent. It won’t be as easy to just go to a country and settle there, and access facilities like healthcare. 

10 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

1..project fear part 2 re destroy the country economically..I do not think so.

2. Just apply for a visa..easy peasy re denying freedom of movement.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You don’t believe it will hit your pocket, but you don’t care a jot if it hits others ... 

You will get zero benefit from Brexit, other than a temporary psychological kick, like the joy of Celtic winning the treble, but that soon fades. The very real costs will be paid by others.

Archived