British PM May resigns, paving way for Brexit confrontation with EU

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

If, as is constantly repeated on here by Brexiteers, it would be an even higher vote for the Brexit support, then I don't quite understand why you also believe that it is a ruse to overturn the result?

That would only be true if you believed that Brexit would lose. And if you believe that then it follows that you also believe that "the will of the people" of the UK is Remain? And if that is true then we really should have another vote.

No, that wouldnt "only be true" if I believed Brexit would lose .

They are to different unconnected situations .

If its not a ruse to overturn the vote , what is the point of even having another vote ?

My prediction of what way a new referendum vote would go is irrelevant in regards as to why I think remainers want a new referendum 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

If, as is constantly repeated on here by Brexiteers, it would be an even higher vote for the Brexit support, then I don't quite understand why you also believe that it is a ruse to overturn the result?

That would only be true if you believed that Brexit would lose. And if you believe that then it follows that you also believe that "the will of the people" of the UK is Remain? And if that is true then we really should have another vote.

You seem to have it back-to-front. If remainers believe that leave would win a repeat referendum (which they never admit but may secretly fear) then they have even more reason to see the result overturned completely: i.e. revoking A 50, with no further vote and no respect for the 2016 vote. 

On 5/25/2019 at 2:23 PM, sanemax said:
On 5/25/2019 at 12:12 PM, 7by7 said:

I have asked Brexiteers many times why they are afraid of a second referendum; none have given a straight answer.

You have asked many times and you got answered many times , mybe no one bothers to answer you now , because they , like me , are tired of writing the same thing over and over again in reply 

Tired of writing the same thing over and over again you and they may be; but if they actually said something to support their own opinion then I would not have to keep asking!

It is difficult to judge someone's reasoning when they refuse to state it.

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I suspect that Farage will, at the end of the day, end up with nothing. He'll be the guy that split the Tory vote and ushered in Corbyn. Corbyn will have to change his stance ... so Labour will become, like the Lib Dems, the second referendum party.

In the North, Labour voters have moved over to the Brexit party. A good example the northeast, including Sunderland, where the media establishment has failed to scare the electorate, by trying to suggest that Nissen may close there factory due to Brexit. Yet in reality an area that is traditionally staunch Labour, elected 2 Brexit Mep out of the 3 Mep’s for that area.

In Yorkshire and humberside, Briexit won 3 of the 6 seats. Gaining 36% of the overall vote, this in spite of many voters refusing to vote stating “ Why should we vote, when our vote is disregarded.

Meanwhile in London with its large % of Eu citizens, many of whome registered to vote in the U.K. the anti Brexit parties did in fact receive many votes.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Tired of writing the same thing over and over again you and they may be; but if they actually said something to support their own opinion then I would not have to keep asking!

It is difficult to judge someone's reasoning when they refuse to state it.

Before the referendum, everyone knew and understood that it would be just the one referendum .

Once people have voted in an election , they cannot go back to the polling station and change their vote .

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

If I understand well, based on the posts here;

despite there was a distinctive Brexit party, many Brexiters still voted  Labour & Conservative. 

Should be interesting to know why. 

Loyalty.

Put a red rosette on a monkey,and some Traditional Labour voters will still vote for Labour.

The same probably applies to some Conservative voters, Blue rosette on a monkey, vote Tory.

11 minutes ago, Thairealist said:

Loyalty.

Put a red rosette on a monkey,and some Traditional Labour voters will still vote for Labour.

The same probably applies to some Conservative voters, Blue rosette on a monkey, vote Tory.

Exactly what have you got against Monkeys to infer that they have lower intelligence than traditional Tory or Labour voters ?  ????

41 minutes ago, Thairealist said:

In the North, Labour voters have moved over to the Brexit party. A good example the northeast, including Sunderland, where the media establishment has failed to scare the electorate, by trying to suggest that Nissen may close there factory due to Brexit. Yet in reality an area that is traditionally staunch Labour, elected 2 Brexit Mep out of the 3 Mep’s for that area.

In Yorkshire and humberside, Briexit won 3 of the 6 seats. Gaining 36% of the overall vote, this in spite of many voters refusing to vote stating “ Why should we vote, when our vote is disregarded.

Meanwhile in London with its large % of Eu citizens, many of whome registered to vote in the U.K. the anti Brexit parties did in fact receive many votes.

In a second referendum the Remain vote will be stronger than the “no dealers” ... we won’t have long to wait ... but I can’t see this issue resolving itself now without another vote. 

EUElection2019 UK result conclusions:

a. The country is massively polarised.
b. Any form of soft Brexit is dead.
c. The governing party and opposition MUST address a and b.
d. Until then the UK remains almost ungovernable.
e. What this means for the near future is unclear.

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

Brexit supporters have known that for a long time, not noticed all the regular brexiteers "second referendum, not over my dead body" posts???

Oddly enough David Cameron, Teresa May and Jeremy Corbyn have all stated quite clearly "there will be no second referendum".

David Cameron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2dEe7N3SA

Teresa May

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-46465149/uk-pm-theresa-may-dismisses-idea-of-second-referendum

Jeremy Corbyn

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-42851674/corbyn-on-brexit-we-re-not-asking-for-a-second-referendum

Why is that so difficult for Remainers to understand?

I wonder whether a vote for Brexiters as (very short-term) MEPs is quite the same thing as a vote for Brexit? Could be more like a protest vote at a by-election than an indication of a future vote at, say, a 2nd referendum ...

Before the referendum, everyone knew and understood that it would be just the one referendum .
  Once people have voted in an election , they cannot go back to the polling station and change their vote .
Nonsense. People's opinions and votes can change. Why are Brexiteers so scared of asking the people?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Oddly enough David Cameron, Teresa May and Jeremy Corbyn have all stated quite clearly "there will be no second referendum".

David Cameron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2dEe7N3SA

Teresa May

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-46465149/uk-pm-theresa-may-dismisses-idea-of-second-referendum

Jeremy Corbyn

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-42851674/corbyn-on-brexit-we-re-not-asking-for-a-second-referendum

Why is that so difficult for Remainers to understand?

Camaran ran a way...

May has her marching orders...

Corbyn got a bloody good kicking...

As for Corbyn he has not made his mind categorically stated so in an interview with the BBC this morning,  Alastair Campbell  said “I also think it’s the right thing that the Labour party gets the message that this policy of riding two horses has failed.”

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

Brexit supporters have known that for a long time, not noticed all the regular brexiteers "second referendum, not over my dead body" posts???

Hasn't it been explained to you before that you can't have a "once in lifetime referendum" twice.

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Hasn't it been explained to you before that you can't have a "once in lifetime referendum" twice.

Your making things up, where does it say once in a lifetime???

Maybe your posts should start with: "Once upon a time...."

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Enough people have said it, including the PM at the time David Cameron, should you require evidence it wouldn't be too much trouble finding it, but I am sure most of us have seen it all before. But as most remainers are in denial about democracy, maybe it has slipped your mind.

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Nonsense. People's opinions and votes can change. Why are Brexiteers so scared of asking the people?

Do you not understand that it does not matter who calls for a second referendum because at this point in time the second referendum or not lies in the hands of only 650 people in the UK?

Deeper still it is in the hands of the Tory party who are still (nominally) running the country.

Looking at the news over the past few days, there will be a new PM in July. Who that will be I have no idea but they have the right to call for a new general election.

The other parties in parliament can put a motion of no confidence and if it passes then the Tory government is dissolved and a new general election will be called. Of course that only happens if the government loses the motion.

IMHO no party will call for one looking at the results of the EU election without considering what will happen to their seats in parliament and the party itself and political suicide is not a pleasant option for them.

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Do you not understand that it does not matter who calls for a second referendum because at this point in time the second referendum or not lies in the hands of only 650 people in the UK?

Deeper still it is in the hands of the Tory party who are still (nominally) running the country.

Looking at the news over the past few days, there will be a new PM in July. Who that will be I have no idea but they have the right to call for a new general election.

The other parties in parliament can put a motion of no confidence and if it passes then the Tory government is dissolved and a new general election will be called. Of course that only happens if the government loses the motion.

IMHO no party will call for one looking at the results of the EU election without considering what will happen to their seats in parliament and the party itself and political suicide is not a pleasant option for them.

MSM isn't helping:

18 minutes ago, billd766 said:

They can ask Parliament but need 2/3 of MP's to vote for it, I do not think Labour would be that stupid. they have more than 210 MP's so can block it.

If there is a GE the result in reality will hand the UK Lock Stock and Barrel to UKIP MkII... 

One Consultation is as a MEP Farage can not be our PM. 

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And why are remainers so scared of actually implementing the result of the people’s referendum, are they afraid that the U.K. might be successful out of the E.U. Contrary to all the scare stories we have been subject to.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

What you are witnessing in these comments is fear! Visceral fear of a second referendum that will kill the Brexit unicorn.

A final say on Brexit is looking more and more inevitable ... expect stockpiling of toilet roll amongst the Brexiteer posters on these threads.

They can ask Parliament but need 2/3 of MP's to vote for it, I do not think Labour would be that stupid. they have more than 210 MP's so can block it.

If there is a GE the result in reality will hand the UK Lock Stock and Barrel to UKIP MkII... 

One Consultation is as a MEP Farage can not be our PM. 
Suppose he could if he resigned as an mep?,[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, Thairealist said:

And why are remainers so scared of actually implementing the result of the people’s referendum, are they afraid that the U.K. might be successful out of the E.U. Contrary to all the scare stories we have been subject to.

I think most remainers would have put up and shut up with a deal and transition exit. A sensible leave that didn't destroy people's jobs or businesses. I'd put myself in that category. The Liberal Democrats came out from the start as "second referendum" advocates ... but in the first two years garnered very few votes and little public support. So what changed?

I think more moderate remainers have woken up to the fact that there are hardline Brexiteers who will only be satisfied with a dramatic and catastrophic exit from the EU. They have interpreted the Brexit vote, not as a close 52/48 requiring some compromise, but as a blank cheque to implement a kind of Brexit (no deal and no transition) that they did not campaign for before the vote. Effectively hijacking the vote.

So now I'm just looking for a second chance to stop the whole thing. As are many others. And that is why you have seen an enormous swing to the Liberal Democrats and Greens. I'm no longer interested in implementing any kind of Brexit ... I just want it killed.

16 minutes ago, Basil B said:

He would not give up all that free gravy and expensive plonk...

But when his time there is almost up he would I think , and he doesn't need to resign as end carrier in E.U parliament in case Brexit finalized  , and most important he has nothing to achieve there , just destroying E.U. as a hobby..:whistling: , in U.K politics he would be expected to improve his country as a politician …..nothing like him ! :wink:

But I would be grateful if he can make this Brexit to an end  , it has taken too long too much from my € and E.U.

I think everyone will agree that :

52 % is greater than 48 %. 

31 % of the voters voted for the Brexit party, wish mean 69 % didn't. 

Not sure that everyone will agree :

that 69 % is greater than 31 %. 

Archived