Top 7 Thai expat myths

But when you factor in that 74% of those deaths are people on motorcycles, often also drunk and not wearing a helmet, it’s not as bad as the numbers suggest, if you’re not in the high-risk categories.

Not a myth, it fits perfectly to many, if not a majority, of young, or younger, foreigners driving motorbikes where I live...:whistling:

• Confused 1

Who makes stories like that? Does Tim Newton think he will make money with this? Or does he think he will educate all the people who don't know what's going on. Maybe he should open a YouTube channel and become an influencer or something like that. Good luck!

12 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

It does not matter how many times I read that article I still cannot find the myths that they are talking of.

I found a list of five facts, one disputed myth and one myth which is believed about Thai ex-pats but not by Thai ex-pats.

Below is the list that I found with my thoughts added on:

1. The TAT (Tourist Authority of Thailand) make up the tourist arrival numbers (True, how else would the numbers quoted change from one staff member to the next?)

2. Things are getting too expensive in Thailand (True, you would have to be blinkered (or very rich) not to notice this.) 

3. You have a high chance of dying on Thailand’s roads (True, making comparisons of the road death rate against Eritrea does not make Thai roads safer.)

4. The Thai government don’t want us to stay here (Disputed, there is an element of the ruling classes that don’t want us, why else would they make it so difficult to stay?).

5. All expats sit in bars and date bar girls (False, ex-pats do not believe this at all, people who have never been to Thailand might believe it though.)

6. The Thai government a dictatorship (True, the current Thai government is a Military dictatorships, how else would you describe an unelected government that staged a military coup to seize power?)

7. There’s NO Freedom of Speech in Thailand (Freedom of speech, eh? I’m too scared to answer this one.)

And yet you just did

6 hours ago, Nip said:

I was as annoyingly naive as you 15 years ago when I first came to live here. Until something went wrong that is and the reality of how the system works or doesnt work became apparent. Enjoy it. 

What went wrong?

Thailand? 

I've never found anything different in Thailand different from other liberal countries. Sure the never to be spoken subject isn't discussed publicly but believe me the recent changes have got the tongues wagging. And not in a good way. Not a bad thing in the connected world.  Dinosaurs will be relegated. 

22 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Usually spouted by people who have lived here, failed, and were forced to return home.

Thai Visa has quite a few of them as members ! All they post is negativity, not about the good times before it went tits up for them. 

100 percent agree with you. Except I would add the groups (1) that cannot afford to leave Thailand; (2) the groups that do not know any Thai people, (3) the groups that would be miserable regardless of where they live, 4) the groups that overestimate their “importance” on this planet. - a nice way of saying the arrogant self promoter type and (5) the groups that have never driven Thailand and experienced different parts of Thailand. Yet they are an authority and expert on every topic on this forum. 

• Like 2

“Bottomline, if you think it’s difficult to live, work and stay in Thailand, just check how difficult it is for a Thai citizen to move to your country.”

If a Thai is married to an EU/EEA citizen he/she gets all that, FoC.
The inverse way you get nothing, unless you are a woman.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

16 hours ago, CLS said:

“Bottomline, if you think it’s difficult to live, work and stay in Thailand, just check how difficult it is for a Thai citizen to move to your country.”

If a Thai is married to an EU/EEA citizen he/she gets all that, FoC.
The inverse way you get nothing, unless you are a woman.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Errrr...its not quite that simple is it? Certainly not in the UK, anyway with it's 'hostile environment.'

On 5/26/2019 at 10:57 PM, DingDongLing said:

baht is strong because there is demand for it.  (800k, 400k, farangs coming ect)

Without demand, it would inflate FAST

The baht is strong because of retirees and foreigners on Type O visa?....,???? Oh dear...  & retirees & expats prop up the Thai economy, right? Nothing to to with trade, manufacturing, tourism? Right????... it’s retirees... !!! 

Oh dear again !!! Face palm !

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 9:23 PM, Puchaiyank said:

This is an Op Ed, opinion editorial, opinions are like bottoms...everyone has one...

You get paid to write this article?

The guy head is so deep down the anal canal he can't see the sunshine because he is happy to have a job.

• Haha 1