Busted: People running a hotel at Bangkok condominium arrested/charged in police/immigration raid

rooster59

6 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Quite a few Chinese bought condos all over the land and guess what, they want their money to work. Result is what is day-to-day business everywhere else, AirBnB etc.

Instead of putting Thailand, again, in the bad news it might be noteworthy to study, why customers prefer such accommodation over those hundreds if not thousands of empty hotel rooms.

The world's largest taxi company is Grab Taxi, without a single car they own.
The world's biggest hotel chain is airBnB, without a single room they own.

Wake up, inch slowly and carefully through the 20th into the 21st century and, on the way, tell other condo owners that it does not matter, if the owner or a tenant pees in the pool ????

Let them impact on YOUR quality of life and see if you still feel the same

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

the lesson is dont buy a condo i a tourist area. if you want peace an quiset buy did you buy in the wrong place.

The problem with that is that an area can suddenly develop into a tourist area.

Our house is at the end of a quiet soi in Bangkok, but slowly all the other houses around here are being converted to pubs or Japanese restaurants. The drivers wait outside our house for up to two hours, with their motors running,  while the bosses enjoy their dinners.

Similarly, some of the bigger houses are being rented out to Chinese (220,000 Baht a month) and these people in turn rent the rooms out to other Chinese via AirBnB.

So where do you buy a condo or house?

If you buy in the right place, it WILL become a tourist area soon.

Anyway is there no way to register a condominium unit as a daily rental guesthouse for extra income, and make it legal?   

If not then condominiums are even more overpriced compared to regular houses than I already thought...

I personally would prefer an intelligent approach to the topic. Neither "BAN THEM ALL" nor "ALLOW EVERY FORM OF IT". I would think, limiting the amount of condos to one per person would be a good start, since I feel it is those "I manage 40 units" operators who really make an impact. Because the truth is, managing one single unit for 1000Baht per day doesnt really make sense for the owner. Then make it mandatory to register if you do airbnb, pay tax and insurance, pay some extra fee to the condo, maybe even forbid one night stays on Airbnb. Make rules that favor the single apartment owner and not the rich owner of 20 units. Then see how many will be left. 
As for me, I am happy to stay in Airbnb places and I agree that competition is healthy. But it should be balanced competition. 

and no chinese is deported as usual. run an illegal business and no worries bc you are chinese.

if it was farang, sure they jailed and deported.

chinese are protected here. if a farang does such an operation, it takes a day for police to crackdown whereas Chinese can run it for years with no issues.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:56 PM, lemonjelly said:

They nicked a foreigner for not staying where he was registered.... seriously?

He rents a room for a night or two and gets busted for it.... is there a Tourist Industry for Dummies book available that  the Thai authorities might be able to borrow?

Thailand's reputation as a friendly destination seems to vary in importance, depending on who is profiting from which policy.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, MartinKal said:

Hurts the hotel business? The source of the crackdown then.

Is illegal? The law is made in the interests of the people, not a small section of super rich, often foreign, hotel owners.

As a Rockefeller was quoted as saying, "Competition is a Sin."  They "buy policy" for themselves - not the good of the country.

I have no problem with a Condo having a policy that one agrees to when purchasing a unit, of course.  But getting "the govt" to prevent competition is lousy.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:11 AM, dinsdale said:

So nationality of those running the show? I'll have a guess: Chinese.

You're spot on. I believe the condo is owned by a Chinese company. Most of the units owned by foreigners are Chinese.  

On 5/27/2019 at 8:02 PM, Sydebolle said:

Well, I did my homework and hence could avoid getting caught off guard - simple as that!

Yeah right...let’s check in again in a few years and see. Unless you bought in a place where nobody in their right mind would live......that’s probably it....I get it now 

On 5/26/2019 at 10:29 AM, mike787 said:

Blows my mind how much money (800/400K, etc) and effort people are willing to do to stay in Thailand.  Like a fugitive sentenced to Hell fighting to stay in Thailand (heaven), I too was one of those dumb idiots convinced of the same until time showed me the reality was NOT the Elysium I bought into. 

So, sadly it was not affordable for you.

Where are you now?

I hope they hit up The Base Condo in Pattaya next.

1000 rooms I bet more then half are daily ST rental.

And, I do believe all of it is hurting the hotel industry as they continue to complain about low occupancy.  All the while a Chinese who owns 20 condo properties is sitting in China collecting the money. Reporting no one, not paying taxes, breaking the law.

On 5/27/2019 at 4:24 PM, petedk said:

Our house is at the end of a quiet soi in Bangkok, but slowly all the other houses around here are being converted to pubs or Japanese restaurants. The drivers wait outside our house for up to two hours, with their motors running,  while the bosses enjoy their dinners.

Same issue on my Soi.

On 5/29/2019 at 7:45 PM, Fairynuff said:

Yeah right...let’s check in again in a few years and see. Unless you bought in a place where nobody in their right mind would live......that’s probably it....I get it now 

Why should I buy a condo or, even worse, a house in Thailand? Juristic person collapsing, some „tenants“ not paying maintenance fee = no elevator or pool to breed fish; noisy or smelly neighbour = no legal enforcement of „rule and order“. Answer is simple = rent. 

If the deal changes like one of the above = move! 

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Why should I buy a condo or, even worse, a house in Thailand? Juristic person collapsing, some „tenants“ not paying maintenance fee = no elevator or pool to breed fish; noisy or smelly neighbour = no legal enforcement of „rule and order“. Answer is simple = rent. 

If the deal changes like one of the above = move! 

Totally weird. You have negative ideas beyond anything I could ever imagine. In all the condos I own or have owned I have never experienced anything remotely like the rubbish you’re coming up with. Perhaps I’m just a bit (a lot) more savvy. One thing I agree with, YOU should always rent.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:00 AM, baansgr said:

So where can large families stay for a weekend or weeks holiday.....hotels, thats it?....Thailand has a large domestic and international tourist industry, 

When you go to a foreign country where would you expect to stay?!

Why do you think condo owners would like your big, noisy family in the building?

And you're the one that's indignant lol

I don't understand why this was allowed to occur. Just another reason not to buy a condo.

Bet it was a total horror show.

Just tell the Chinese they can only stay in Pattaya. Problem solved, civility restored.

On 5/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, Fairynuff said:

If you’d bought your condo to live in and then find the building being run as a hotel you’d be a jealous snitch too

How can you be so sure on somebody you don't even know (me) ? ????

... or maybe are you gauging others with your own measuring tape ?

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

How can you be so sure on somebody you don't even know (me) ? ????

... or maybe are you gauging others with your own measuring tape ?

I assume everyone has common sense...sorry for making a wrong assumption about you

18 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Totally weird. You have negative ideas beyond anything I could ever imagine. In all the condos I own or have owned I have never experienced anything remotely like the rubbish you’re coming up with. Perhaps I’m just a bit (a lot) more savvy. One thing I agree with, YOU should always rent.

This rubbish is the bottomline of what I've been seeing among friends and colleagues - who all bought 1st and 2nd hand condos - in the last 35 years.

You've been just lucky then, it seems - good on you!

Archived