Busted: People running a hotel at Bangkok condominium arrested/charged in police/immigration raid

rooster59

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Your right its not a good thing. Its a GREAT thing. I have and will continue to report suspected abusers. Im not forking out common area fees so Common areas can be abused.

I don’t follow your logic that common areas are being abused. Is it abuse like graffiti or purposely breaking things or is it wear and tear caused by what you deem excessive usage? Surely you must understand that whether it’s the owner or the tenant of an apartment, the usage is just interchangeable. You are not creating more usage rights so you are not abusing a right, you are just exercising it. The rights are the same. You may think some owners or tenants may have excessive use of the common areas but how do you define “excessive” usage and do you expect a judge in a court of law would accept a complaint based on your definition of excessive usage, or even the concept of excessive usage of common areas in a condominium. So long as a person, whether owner or tenant, is using a common area or facility for the purpose it was meant for its not abuse. 

I respect your right to express outrage at a situation you don’t like but it would not be smart to stop “forking out” your common area fees because you think the common areas are “being abused” as you will loose that argument 100% and could end up losing your condo if you don’t pay for a long enough time. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

I don’t follow your logic that common areas are being abused. Is it abuse like graffiti or purposely breaking things or is it wear and tear caused by what you deem excessive usage? Surely you must understand that whether it’s the owner or the tenant of an apartment, the usage is just interchangeable. You are not creating more usage rights so you are not abusing a right, you are just exercising it. The rights are the same. You may think some owners or tenants may have excessive use of the common areas but how do you define “excessive” usage and do you expect a judge in a court of law would accept a complaint based on your definition of excessive usage, or even the concept of excessive usage of common areas in a condominium. So long as a person, whether owner or tenant, is using a common area or facility for the purpose it was meant for its not abuse. 

I respect your right to express outrage at a situation you don’t like but it would not be smart to stop “forking out” your common area fees because you think the common areas are “being abused” as you will loose that argument 100% and could end up losing your condo if you don’t pay for a long enough time. 

"Im not forking out common area fees so Common areas can be abused."

Didn't mean literally not paying especially now we have 100% strict enforcement.

did you not read my previous post? wear and tear plus noise and security concerns

People in condos are not just interchangeable their is a massive difference between short and long term. Indians and chinese and koreans had no problem sleeping 4-6 in a studio . 

You miss my previous post #86?

"Condos are for long term tenants most in ours working 9 to 5 and during this time its fairly quiet especially pool and gym. 

Before we had strict enforcement the building was like a <deleted> amusement park !! kids screaming running up and down the hall hallways , the pool full of kids peeing and screaming, the Gym which now has strict dress code full of Asians and indians (indians 6 in a studio ) in bare feet taking up all the machines

At night hookers and lady boys roaming the hallways coming and going, parties until the wee hours with thumping music . I could go on (lower sukhumvit)

And you think thats OK, what the hell is wrong with you !! "

9 hours ago, MartinKal said:

Nuisance? The annual income of a handful of airbnbs supports a higher property valuation.

Hurts the hotel business? The source of the crackdown then.

Is illegal? The law is made in the interests of the people, not a small section of super rich, often foreign, hotel owners.

Tourism accounts for 12% of GNP. Higher accomodation costs will have what effects on the economy?

Airbnb are run by little people who have made good by working hard and saving. 

The benefits of tourism should go to the people not a handful of monied gentry.

if you think Airbnb is for the benefit of the everyday person, you are having a laugh. What has happened in countless Western cities is landlords kicking out long term tenants so they can 'airbnb' the apartments. This causes gentrification of areas, where locals are slowly kicked out and the life of the area is sucked dry. Add to this the rising rental prices for ordinary people, just so airbnb and rich landlords can make more profit. I am glad Thailand is trying to stop this.

The immigration stuff about reporting address, that is another matter and is bs

2 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

if you think Airbnb is for the benefit of the everyday person, you are having a laugh. What has happened in countless Western cities is landlords kicking out long term tenants so they can 'airbnb' the apartments. This causes gentrification of areas, where locals are slowly kicked out and the life of the area is sucked dry. Add to this the rising rental prices for ordinary people, just so airbnb and rich landlords can make more profit. I am glad Thailand is trying to stop this.

The immigration stuff about reporting address, that is another matter and is bs

Trying? they do what they always do. Have a crackdown that last 5 minutes and go back to more lucrative income streams. As much as I would love to see it we all know how a crack down works in thailand

21 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Immigration, protection agency officials and interpreters descended on a luxury Bangkok condominium on Thursday. 

has the 'reporter' even been to the place he/she is reporting on? how is this a 'luxury' condominium?!

58 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Sorry AJB, but you have to live there to experience it. On my floor there are 8 units. 3 privately owned by people like me, except the other 2 spend about 5 days a year on site whilst I am there for 8 months of the year. The remaining 5 units are illegally rented out from between 1 day and 15 days at a time usually.

I treat the common area like my own, as it is my home after all. The other 2 private respectable owners are not there to cause any damage, so total wear and tear by the people that care, is zero.

The walls are all chipped where daily luggage traffic is whacked around, because the illegal renters don't give a fig. The wall paint is now filthy because illegal renter's kids seem unable to walk without spreading their filthy little hands along the walls depositing grime and sh*t. The lift door surrounds are chipped. The tiles on the lift floor are dislodged. The kid's room has had to be closed because the illegal renter kids threw the hard toys in an attempt to break the windows, and I can go on. If we are to keep the building looking good then there is a great deal of remedial/upkeep work needed, none caused by the people that call the place home. Sure, the illegal unit owners will pay 5/8th of the cost but we 3 have to pay 3/8th for damage that is not any fault of ours.

It is just wrong and anyone trying to defend it is obviously challenged in dealing with the principal of fairness.

6 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Party houses are just as bad. In Hua Hin it's terrible.

You can always tell on the adverts, there are a million cheap inflatables in the pool!

Doesn't affect me but I can imagine if you spend 10+ million on a house/condo you would be pissed off with the noise and security issues. 

Also hogging all the facilities 

the lesson is dont buy a condo i a tourist area. if you want peace an quiset buy did you buy in the wrong place.

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

What a load of you know what. Please tell me where I said I'm exeptional.

This is what I posted.

"So nationality of those running the show? I'll have a guess: Chinese." 

Ah! Now I see what's pathetic. Your trolling little brain.

Well, firstly, give us a kiss. I love it when you're angry.

Secondly, quite a few people on here have said they rent their condos out and it follows that quite a few who aren't on here do too. I'd expect the Chinese membership here to be minimal at best.

So why vilify the Chinese for it when it seems to be common practice amongst all nationalities?

Can your much superior brain process that and answer in a civil manner?

On 5/25/2019 at 7:09 PM, rooster59 said:

One person - who seemed to be a foreigner - was charged with not staying at an address they had previously reported.

Let's hope he isn't run over by a Hiso Thai on his march to the gas chambers. 

I love AirBnB; both as a guest and also the income that it gives hosts.  

I'm not sure I like crackdowns like this; on the one hand it removes people operating illegally, so leaving less competition for legal AirBnB hosts.  On the other hand it could cause concern for tourists wanting to book a holiday rental property.

10 hours ago, soistalker said:

They used to rent a room at the end of the hall in my condo on a daily basis. Lots of door slammers. I asked an Englishman who doesn't live there to please close his door quietly, and he told me in a northern accent that it was daytime, and something  like what was I on about. I almost swung on him. He got an ear full in a proper American accent instead. 

Are you from Boston?

4 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

Sorry, yes it is excessive wear and tear. Normally you have rental tenants moving in and out of a condo maybe once or twice a year. With the illegal renters, they are dragging their suitcases in and out every couple of days--banging into  the walls and banging into the elevators and banging into the exit doors because they don't give a s**t--they don't live there so what do they care if they wreck something.  it's not their home.   Condo residents are now always getting into elevators crowded with suitcases and walking through lobbies they can no longer enjoy because they have become noisy  hotel waiting rooms for the illegal check-ins.

And, yes, these illegal short-term renters will open the door to their 'hotel' room and leave their garbage in the hall because they have no idea where the trash room is and they feel they don't need to learn where the trash room is--they're only there for a couple of days   And, they don't live there so what do they care.

And, yes, they don't follow any of the condo rules--maybe because they don't know them but more likely they just don't care what the rules are because they don't live there so instead they just do whatever they want.  "Oh, sorry I brought a glass beer bottle into the pool and it broke. But, don't worry, I'm leaving tomorrow!"

And, yes, they are constantly bothering the condo staff and making extra work for them by all the same types of questions and problems that hotel staff are employed to handle--in a HOTEL--with short-term guests on holiday.  

And, yes, they often are very noisy at all hours because they are on holiday and holiday is when you cut loose and raise holy hell.  The attitude is we're on holiday and who cares if we disturb the regular residents because, you guessed it, we don't live there.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:47 PM, observer90210 said:

Obviously the work of a jealous snitch as they are all around.

If you’d bought your condo to live in and then find the building being run as a hotel you’d be a jealous snitch too

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Secondly, quite a few people on here have said they rent their condos out and it follows that quite a few who aren't on here do too. I'd expect the Chinese membership here to be minimal at best.

So why vilify the Chinese for it when it seems to be common practice amongst all nationalities?

Certainly the illegal rentals are being done by different nationalities but I think the Chinese are doing it on a massive scale-at least at condos I know of in Pattaya and Bangkok. 

I attended an annual condo meeting at a Pattaya condo a few months ago where the owners were upset about all the illegal daily renters.  One Chinese owner stood up and said he paid a million baht in condo fees each year.  Apparently he thought that would exempt him from obeying the law.  Doing the math, he owns at least 40 and probably more likely 50 small units in the building. So, basically he is running an illegal hotel within the confines of the condo--and using the condo staff to do a lot of the work he would normally have to pay hotel workers to do.  Of course, he is not paying any business taxes or registering his illegal renters with Immigration.  

The same thing is going on at a condo I know of in Bangkok--Chinese owners with multiple units running their little boutique hotels within the condo.  The lobby is filled every day with young Chinese and their suitcases--a steady flow of illegal renters booked in China.  I think these large scale illegal operations are the ones people object to the most.

7 hours ago, happysanook said:

What a bunch of whining little ninnies. Are these people really hurting you or bothering you somehow? Stupid law that says you can't rent out something you own as you please. 

Clearly not a homeowner 

As an avid Airbnb customer the past 2 year's can see both sides.  

I am a good renter but I'm sure there are the party groups and wild kids and guys who like ladyboy. 

I rarely see other owners or renters on the floor or elevator. I have never seen a crowded workout room or pool full of kids or people.    What I do see are units that obviously are used only a couple weeks a year.  This seems like a real waste of a resource.   I think hotels need some competition.   Like everything a few bad apples are going to ruin it for all of us. 

6 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

If you’d bought your condo to live in and then find the building being run as a hotel you’d be a jealous snitch too

Snitch is the wrong word. 

If you live in the west and you have a noisy neighbour, you call the police and it is addressed. Nobody would call you a snitch, they'd probably be thankful

9 hours ago, Traubert said:

Renting out your condo is legit hence the word rent. Using it as a hotel is not. Very simple really.

15 hours ago, Tajasia said:

Not funny. You buy a condo and have to tolerate these dirty people destroying the condo. Think before you speak 

who's trying to be funny?   seems like you should be the one to think before you make your asinine pronouncements. 

21 hours ago, mike787 said:

Blows my mind how much money (800/400K, etc) and effort people are willing to do to stay in Thailand.  Like a fugitive sentenced to Hell fighting to stay in Thailand (heaven), I too was one of those dumb idiots convinced of the same until time showed me the reality was NOT the Elysium I bought into. 

agree, so what did u find? where

Quite a few Chinese bought condos all over the land and guess what, they want their money to work. Result is what is day-to-day business everywhere else, AirBnB etc.

Instead of putting Thailand, again, in the bad news it might be noteworthy to study, why customers prefer such accommodation over those hundreds if not thousands of empty hotel rooms.

The world's largest taxi company is Grab Taxi, without a single car they own.
The world's biggest hotel chain is airBnB, without a single room they own.

Wake up, inch slowly and carefully through the 20th into the 21st century and, on the way, tell other condo owners that it does not matter, if the owner or a tenant pees in the pool ????

Because it's cheaper in Bangkok than a hotel, and the reason it's cheaper is that it's not serviced, has no security and safety like a hotel, doesn't pay any taxes etc....

it's cheaper until it burns down or something else happens and no insurance is paying for the damage and ruining all other owners that did nothing wrong..

22 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Quite a few Chinese bought condos all over the land and guess what, they want their money to work. Result is what is day-to-day business everywhere else, AirBnB etc.

Instead of putting Thailand, again, in the bad news it might be noteworthy to study, why customers prefer such accommodation over those hundreds if not thousands of empty hotel rooms.

The world's largest taxi company is Grab Taxi, without a single car they own.
The world's biggest hotel chain is airBnB, without a single room they own.

Wake up, inch slowly and carefully through the 20th into the 21st century and, on the way, tell other condo owners that it does not matter, if the owner or a tenant pees in the pool ????

Nobody is stopping the Chinese--or anybody else--from renting their condos.  They just need to obey the law, and any condo rules in place, while they are doing it.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Nobody is stopping the Chinese--or anybody else--from renting their condos.  They just need to obey the law, and any condo rules in place, while they are doing it.

Well, that's where it gets critical. The Chinese are known for not caring at all once they left their beautiful country of theirs. They behave like wild animals and I can level with "genuine" condo-dwellers who just had it with slamming doors, shouting in the hall, blocking elevators and ransacking pool areas.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:35 AM, Lammbock said:

The thourism authorety of Thailand is just afraid of AirBnB. That's all about it. 

AirBNB is not fair to long term renters and home owners that want peace and security and a home not a hotel. And it is illegal so that’s all about it. 

And here is another angle. Condo is insured by JP for use as a condo, not a hotel. Renter gets drunk and burns the place down. Insurer won't pay as Condo was being illegally used as a hotel. Result: every owner loses their investment/home. 

So to all owners in this situation. You think you are insured, but you are not.....thanks to your money grabbing neighbours. 

Archived