Busted: People running a hotel at Bangkok condominium arrested/charged in police/immigration raid

rooster59

16 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Hello  google maps has also a Plus code for locations : PHQQ+XV Bangkok, Thailand

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is about time the authorities start knocking on the doors of the OTA's and AirB&B as well. So many illegal properties are being offered by the likes and no one is having these pay for circumnavigating these exact laws.

Once these are out of the equation it will be much harder for illegal businesses to operate and easier for the authorities to crack down on them (and even having illegal operators re-consider and make their properties legal, pay the taxes and get the licences in order to operate legally.

Therw should be a new law when selling a condo that you have to inform the new owner  the terms of in ckear2 language what they  can and cannot do

Some people know what they are doing 

Some people may have been given  bad advise

Also some people might be put  off buying  and renting  due to scare  stories like this 

8 minutes ago, cxxis said:

It is about time the authorities start knocking on the doors of the OTA's and AirB&B as well. So many illegal properties are being offered by the likes and no one is having these pay for circumnavigating these exact laws.

Once these are out of the equation it will be much harder for illegal businesses to operate and easier for the authorities to crack down on them (and even having illegal operators re-consider and make their properties legal, pay the taxes and get the licences in order to operate legally.

I can not imagine a law more easy to enforce.  All you have to do is Google the providers of this illegal service, meet them at the scene of the crime, and arrest them. What is lacking is the will, certainly NOT the way!

We who own units in such places have a dilemma. I would just love to call the authorities and say "Hey ours is identical. Please come and fix it", but the risk of retaliation is a concern. The bad boy owners will know who dobbed them in, as we will undoubtedly be the regular complainers.

I would also just love it if some intelligent poster came up with a way that we could hand a list of 20 or more such establishments (known to TV Posters) all at one go to the Authorities evidencing some degree of "collective pissed-offness" which needs a heavy hand across the city (and others).

Any bright spark ideas?

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

So where can large families stay for a weekend or weeks holiday.....hotels, thats it?....Thailand has a large domestic and international tourist industry, 

Yes, hotels !  Or, guesthouses!  Or inns!  That's what they're there for.  Short-term guests on holiday.  Stay anywhere but RESIDENTIAL condominiums where people are making a home for themselves.  Take a look at the posts--we don't want you in our condo buildings.  Only the illegal landlords breaking the law doing illegal short-term rentals want you.

8 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

Super happy something is finally being done. Hope they continue and raid more condos, mine included. 

What a bunch of whining little ninnies. Are these people really hurting you or bothering you somehow? Stupid law that says you can't rent out something you own as you please. 

58 minutes ago, Tajasia said:

Not funny. You buy a condo and have to tolerate these dirty people destroying the condo. Think before you speak 

Wash yourself before you call someone else dirty. I can smell you all the way from Chiangmai.

6 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

I was a bit surprised to see that the tourist police were involved in this deal, I guess I misunderstood their roll?

You can be excused for misunderstanding the roles of the majority of the "officials" in this country! they have a "Police" force that never enforces the law, a "Military" force that is more interested in ruling the country than protecting it, the list is endless, most of these officials also appear to have an unhealthy interest in "banking" compared to most countries :wink:

Obviously the work of a jealous snitch as they are all around.”

????????

Daily renters are destroyers (peace and common area). Other owners suffer because a few others making money out of their daily rental units ?!!!!

great logic !!!!!

missus seems to think prayut has been encouraging thais to turn their existing and other homes into home stays to earn some extra money and give tourists optional places to stay.

it was in one of his last friday night 'speeches' but i couldn't find the source.

homes btw not condos.

7 hours ago, MartinKal said:

Nuisance? The annual income of a handful of airbnbs supports a higher property valuation.

Hurts the hotel business? The source of the crackdown then.

Is illegal? The law is made in the interests of the people, not a small section of super rich, often foreign, hotel owners.

Tourism accounts for 12% of GNP. Higher accomodation costs will have what effects on the economy?

Airbnb are run by little people who have made good by working hard and saving. 

The benefits of tourism should go to the people not a handful of monied gentry.

Airbnb is a "service" like any other.  There are rules to follow and they are not being followed.  Your assessment of the situation belies your knowledge of it.  

2 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

I can not imagine a law more easy to enforce.  All you have to do is Google the providers of this illegal service, meet them at the scene of the crime, and arrest them. What is lacking is the will, certainly NOT the way!

Easier way is simply for the BIB to make a booking on AIR BNB and organise a sting . They could do 10 a day and get the press there with them. Wait forget the press , no chance of tea money with those pesky cameras around

4 hours ago, newatthis said:

Don't know if they were jealous or not, but thank goodness for the snitch. People turning a blind eye just encourages law breaking. 

Don't know to what extent the tenants broke the law, but if a country encourages and takes into account the sneaks and snitchs from any Tom-Dick-Harry or Somchai, it is not a good thing and leads to abuses that as always,  the innocent law abiding people will be the first to suffer and be harassed. 

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Don't know to what extent the tenants broke the law, but if a country encourages and takes into account the sneaks and snitchs from any Tom-Dick-Harry or Somchai, it is not a good thing and leads to abuses that as always,  the innocent law abiding people will be the first to suffer and be harassed. 

Your right its not a good thing. Its a GREAT thing. I have and will continue to report suspected abusers. Im not forking out common area fees so Common areas can be abused.

9 hours ago, petedk said:

We live not far from there and there are many other (not so luxury) condos around here that rent out to Chinese for a day or two.

It is so easy to see because every morning you can see huge groups of them leaving, pushing their suitcases along.

Yes this area (Thong Lor/Ekamai) is very popular with these tourists.

Yes indeed. I have read about this practice before involving Chinese money launderers who buy up condos and then rent them out via a local agent through such companies as AirBnB without the immigration formalities. 

1 hour ago, happysanook said:

What a bunch of whining little ninnies. Are these people really hurting you or bothering you somehow? Stupid law that says you can't rent out something you own as you please. 

Sounds like you having good whine yourself.

Condos are for long term tenants most in ours working 9 to 5 and during this time its fairly quiet especially pool and gym. 

Before we had strict enforcement the building was like a <deleted> amusement park !! kids screaming running up and down the hall hallways , the pool full of kids peeing and screaming, the Gym which now has strict dress code full of Asians and indians (indians 6 in a studio ) in bare feet taking up all the machines

At night hookers and lady boys roaming the hallways coming and going, parties until the wee hours with thumping music . I could go on

And you think thats OK, what the hell is wrong with you !!

35 minutes ago, madmen said:

Easier way is simply for the BIB to make a booking on AIR BNB and organise a sting . They could do 10 a day and get the press there with them. Wait forget the press , no chance of tea money with those pesky cameras around

What would you do about the thousands advertised in China on Chinese websites that aren't AirBnB?

The police visited our condo building in Chieng Mai to inform the staff and occupiers that daily rentals are not allowed.  I assume they also visited teh other condo buildings in the area.  Our building is relatively small with fewer than 100 units mainly owned by Thais with some rentals but all long-term.

It is encouraging to see the police provide pre-emptive information.

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

Yup.

The yellow man is coming.

Boo!!!

Sleep tight. ????

Seriously though, you're a foreigner, they're foreign. What makes you exceptional? Please don't revert to 'they're not like us.' That's just pathetic. If the Thais want them, who are we to say any different?

What a load of you know what. Please tell me where I said I'm exeptional.

This is what I posted.

"So nationality of those running the show? I'll have a guess: Chinese." 

Ah! Now I see what's pathetic. Your trolling little brain.

Archived