Thailand: The Early Years

23 hours ago, geronimo said:

will post the second installment tomorrow.

I look forward to reading it... 

ps - I was here as a round the world backpacker in 74... also in Crete for a month... but never totally broke... 

Thanks for a fun read... 

• Thanks 1

For everybody who likes to read stories about Thailand I can recommend the following book:

"The Long Winding Road to Nakhon Nowhere: When Thailand Truly was the Land of Smiles"  by Roger Crutchley.

It contains lots of amazing stories from the past.

I know Roger personally. He is a nice guy and it's always amazing when he talks about Thailand from many decades ago.

• Like 1

Great Story.

Oddly enough mine may have been very similar had a David Bowie gig not intervened.

In 82 I worked in France on the grape harvest , followed by some labouring in Crete and a 6 month stint on a Kibbutz in Israel.

Ended up in Eilat working with an electrical contractor and sleeping on the beach , hopping across the border to Sinai and lounging about in Dohab and Nuweiba.

Got a letter from my best pal in England asking me to be the best man at his wedding , he promised me a Bowie concert ticket as a sweetener. 

Back home I started working in a printing company intending to stay just 6 months then head off to Thailand. Unfortunately there was this cute graphic artist and well the rest is history.

Took me 15 years to eventually reach Thailand and I had missed the boat . My mate from Israel had moved on to Samui in 86 and told me it was a different world back then.

Oddly enough I was in Nakhon Si Thammarat about 10 years and found the locals incredibly friendly also. The female owner of the hotel we stayed in insisted we be guests of honour at the end of year staff party. The following day she drove us around on a countryside tour and her sister gave us lunch on her farm and showed us her fruit orchards.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

The memories...I left Israel in 1983 after 9 years hanging out on various kibbutzim and then working in the Eilat area for a year to earn enough money to leave. Breaks were always at Nueiba and Dahab. The nude beach at Nueiba -- 3rd dune -- were in their heyday and they had these outrageous, black magic mushrooms. Finally arriving in Thailand by way of India, Nepal, Hong Kong, the PRC, as it was known then, and Malaysia on one of those round-the-world tickets for 1,200 pounds, I was beat and needed a rest from my travels.

I had run a traveler's check scam on Thomas Cook in Nepal and was running low on money waiting for them to finally 'reimburse' me for my 'lost' traveler's checks in Bangkok. I had found a really good curry place near the main train station where I liked to go for breakfast. I had gotten my food and left, crossing the street as usual, when some uniformed person with a lot of gold braid and salad dressing all over it accosted me, rudely, in Thai. I understood nothing until he said '200 baht' in English, apparently for jaywalking. I said no and found myself facing the business end of his revolver, right there on the street, people walking by. I gave the aasshole his 200 baht. Welcome to Thailand.

Thomas Cook finally came through and I had some money, so I headed north to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Must have been April, because Songkran was happening while I was there. I was in an ice cream shop in Chiang Mai, mainly for the air conditioner, when some Vietnamese guy came in and sat at the table I was sitting at and tried to sell me some cocaine. I almost died laughing. Cocaine in Thailand in 1983? Struck me as a bit incongruous and also felt like one hell of a setup. I told him to leave or I'd call the police. He left.

Somehow I made my way to Koh Samui and found a bamboo hut/bungalow on the beach near Nathon. It was 15 baht/night. Each hut/bungalow had a book/ledger at the kitchen. You just ordered what you wanted to eat and wrote it in the book. You paid when you finally left. My first night one of the girls who worked there followed me back to my hut after the evening meal. I didn't have the heart to turn her away. I'm like that. The next morning I noticed her name in my book and 15 baht next to it.

It was 30 baht to the US dollar in 1983. It's not like that anymore...

Aaah yes, Thomas Cook also funded my travelling on occasions, nice story!

A couple of remembrances of meeting Thai people...

I was in Ayutthaya to see the ruins. I had developed this 'habit' of ordering a small bottle of Mekong whiskey, a bucket of ice, water, and a bowl of chilis to munch on. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So I was minding my own business, sitting at a table, when some Thais saw me. They couldn't believe that a farang was 'eating like a Thai', as they told me. They invited me to join them and I had a wonderful afternoon.

I was stuck in Bangkok for 3 days. That's what I call being in Bangkok, stuck. Terrible place. I hate big cities for the most part, but back then Bangkok just stunk of tuk-tuks and exhaust fumes, not to mention the incredible noise. Anyway, I used to escape from the city by riding the Chao Praya River bus up and down the river all day. It was only 5 baht, and if I got hungry, I could just get off at the next stop that had a restaurant, which I did around lunchtime one day, ordering my usual Mekong & chilis for an appetizer. As I was sitting there, a group of a dozen or so military-looking guys came in to eat; lots of gold braid and salad dressing on their uniforms. After they had been sitting for some time, they noticed me; sleeveless t-shirt and shorts, long hair and a beard. One of them came over to me and addressed me in English, expressing surprise that I would eat chilis and drink Mekong. They ended up inviting me to join their party and I had an incredible afternoon eating and getting drunk.

I was so in love with Thailand and still am, despite the obvious negatives. I still eat chilis and drink Thai whiskey, though not nearly as much or as often. Sucks getting old, but it sure beats the alternative. ????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GalaxyMan said:

A couple of remembrances of meeting Thai people...

I was in Ayutthaya to see the ruins. I had developed this 'habit' of ordering a small bottle of Mekong whiskey, a bucket of ice, water, and a bowl of chilis to munch on. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So I was minding my own business, sitting at a table, when some Thais saw me. They couldn't believe that a farang was 'eating like a Thai', as they told me. They invited me to join them and I had a wonderful afternoon.

I was stuck in Bangkok for 3 days. That's what I call being in Bangkok, stuck. Terrible place. I hate big cities for the most part, but back then Bangkok just stunk of tuk-tuks and exhaust fumes, not to mention the incredible noise. Anyway, I used to escape from the city by riding the Chao Praya River bus up and down the river all day. It was only 5 baht, and if I got hungry, I could just get off at the next stop that had a restaurant, which I did around lunchtime one day, ordering my usual Mekong & chilis for an appetizer. As I was sitting there, a group of a dozen or so military-looking guys came in to eat; lots of gold braid and salad dressing on their uniforms. After they had been sitting for some time, they noticed me; sleeveless t-shirt and shorts, long hair and a beard. One of them came over to me and addressed me in English, expressing surprise that I would eat chilis and drink Mekong. They ended up inviting me to join their party and I had an incredible afternoon eating and getting drunk.

I was so in love with Thailand and still am, despite the obvious negatives. I still eat chilis and drink Thai whiskey, though not nearly as much or as often. Sucks getting old, but it sure beats the alternative. ????

Great stuff, further proof that the best experiences come when you go local!

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:28 PM, geronimo said:

will post the second installment tomorrow.

Thank you. Great story but it did leave me hanging. I will be watching for part two (you teaser).

I blog for a living, so most of my time is taken up with roofers in Perth or used cars in London, yet I will find the time to pen the rest. Meantime, it would be great for other expats to share their experiences.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had some unique experiences, and I enjoy reading the replies.

As for how long this series will last, the first episode was in 1985 and I'm still here!

Perhaps another 4 or 5 and that will be it guys!

Enjoy Life

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:43 PM, geronimo said:

Soi Cowboy, a place I was destined to visit oh so many times over the coming years, and I was immediately in heaven. It was still daylight, yet we were both quickly surrounded by gorgeous Thai girls,

and they really were gorgeous back then. Unlike the fatties that never smile now.

Good story.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:43 PM, geronimo said:

I looked behind me and saw this huge Buddhist shrine

Shades of The Beach, the <deleted> movie ruined by DE Caprio. Movie starts with him in front of a huge reclining Buddha. It was made from polystyrene, and remained in situ for many years after. It's gone now.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 6:34 AM, geronimo said:

It was 30 baht to the US dollar in 1983. It's not like that anymore...

It actually was coming up from 20 to a dollar, to be pegged at 25,  from 1984 till the 97 collapse.

Minor point. Please continue.

Edited by LomSak27

My story:

Working as a service engineer for a uk/us company I was asked to visit Thailand in 1991, and was excited at the thought !!, I had already traveled extensively but Thailand was top of the league !

Arrived at the airport ( Don Muang I guess) armed with only an address of the factory and a contact name ( Kevin ).

Kevin didn’t show so I had to get a taxi, not a problem you would think ? but after looking at my scribbled address the hordes of waiting taxi drivers all declined. Except for one guy “ okay, okay “ he said confidently and motioned me to wait as he went to get the car, I should have seen the signs [emoji849]. “600 baht “, okay I said, after all it wasn’t my money !.

Anyway we set off in the direction of Bangkadi and it was apparent he didn’t know the way but after asking directions after more than an hour or so we arrived.

The factory was quiet but luckily the security guard was on site as was the plant manager Charles. Charles ushered me inside and asked me how much was the taxi , “600” I replied, he looked aghast “600 !, no way give him 200 “.

I had agreed with the driver for 600 so felt kinda embarrassed offering him 200, the taxi driver got down on his knees begging for the 600.

I was in the process of getting more money out when Charles exclaimed “ wait, that’s not even a taxi !! “ and shouted something to the security guard.

The guard reached inside the gatehouse and produced an ancient rifle, which was obviously very old and looked quite comical, pointed it at the taxi driver who got back in his “ taxi “ and drove away.

I was feeling quite guilty, after all the guy had got me here when others had declined, and regretted not intervening and giving him 3 or 4 hundred. Charles explains that recently some Japanese visitors took the same route and were robbed, beaten and left for dead in their shorts out in the rice fields so tensions were running high against dodgy taxis.

My 10 days in Thailand consisted of me leaving the hotel in Bangkok early to beat the traffic, working all day in a hot sweaty environment ( Kevin looking down from his air conned office [emoji35]).

Leaving the plant to a local bar for food and drinks till the traffic died down, driving to my hotel for a quick shower and then Kevin’s driver taking me on to meet up with Kevin , and others, usually in Soi Cowboy, staying till around 2 when the bargain basement girls were offered ( I declined ) then back to collapse in a heap on my hotel bed for what seemed like 5 minutes !!

A pretty common visit experience for anyone, only exception being:

Around 6 weeks later ( mid may) I was at a driving range with my buddy and I was feeling a bit off so after a couple in the pub I retired early.

Woke up in the middle of the night burning up, into the bathroom to cool down, cold flannel on my head and laid in the empty bath. Ex wife accused me of being drunk !! and left me there.!!

Went back to bed and slept, next morning woke up, bright yellow, even the whites of my eyes were yellow ! .

Yup, hepatitis A , my souvenir from LOS !!

Would be 24 years before I went back, to a new factory, the one in Bangkadi ended up under 6 metres of water for 2 months during the flooding !!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Anyway we set off in the direction of Bangkadi and it was apparent he didn’t know the way but after asking directions after more than an hour or so we arrived.

In 74 on a tour from Singapore I caught a tuk tuk to the hotel, but the driver took me somewhere else. He didn't have a clue where the hotel was. After asking someone else we arrived and he asked for more money because it was further. The security guard came and after the story, the driver got the original amount, though not happy.

First time I went to Chiang Mai I caught a tuk tuk to hotel recommended in Lonely Planet, and driver told me "closed". I knew the old con where they tell you that, and take you to another hotel for the commission, so I insisted. When we arrived it was indeed closed! Luckily even back then Chiang Mai had an guest house every 15 meters, so found another lau lau.

Everything I know about Thailand was learned the hard way, by making mistakes and sorting them, eventually. 

Loads of stories that I could tell, but some too embarrassing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Part 4

Thai Bullfighting

This was a popular sport in the south, indeed the owners of the prized bulls took better care of them than they did their wives, with mosquito netting when they slept, and daily massages. The trainer would be out for an early morning run, with his prime bull strutting along like a thoroughbred racehorse, as they went through their paces. My friend’s father owned the champion, and it grazed in the field behind their house.

I had witnessed a bullfight in Spain many years ago and was appalled by the goings on, and I’m happy to report that Thai bullfighting is a little different. There’s no human involvement, merely beast versus beast, and in the large circular ring, there is an exit for the losing animal, which decides the contest.

By this time I could understand most of what the locals said, and this champion bull was about to take on another local champ from a 100km away, and the build-up was quite intense. Every evening, the bull owners would gather together and discuss their animals in great detail, while drinking rice whisky, and on occasions I would join them.

One particular evening, they all seemed to be quite keen about the up and coming big event, and I was told that their bull couldn’t lose. Of course, it is perfectly normal for the trainer to be eternally optimistic about his charge, yet they revealed to me that they had a secret weapon, a bottle of tiger piss.

Apparently, once they sprinkled some of this feline urine on their bull, this would totally freak out the challenger, who, according to these guys, would make for the exit within a few minutes of the contest starting.

I decided to go and watch the fight and when we arrived, there were already a few hundred men gathered, and money was changing hands as they bet on the chicken fighting, which was the undercard of the meeting, prior to the main event.

Both animals arrived and each occupied an opposite end of the big dirt arena, while the teams frantically washed and groomed their fighters, whispering words of encouragement as they prepared for battle.

There were no rounds as such, rather both animals were led into the circle and the battle commenced, only to end when one made an exit.

Both animals were being sprayed with water, only our beast’s water contained that special ingredient, and we all waited with baited breath to see the outcome.

The trainers led their charges to the edge of the ring and then left, leaving the bulls about 25 metres apart, ours began to dig his front hoof into the ground, the way that bulls do when they’re upset. They sized each other up for a few minutes before gradually getting closer and closer, then, all of a sudden they clashed. The ground shook as these two muscular beasts pushed against each other, and sure enough, for reasons known only to the bull, the challenger took off for the exit, with our charge in hot pursuit.

The team were overjoyed of course, and the bulls were quickly rounded up and taken off to graze while the men exchanged money and the rice whisky flowed. I won 500 baht on the outcome of that one, and we all listened intently while the challenger’s owner confessed that he had never seen his bull back down like that.

After 18 months at the temple, I decided to venture back to Bangkok and look for a teaching job, which I figured wouldn’t be too hard for a westerner to find. I am now on the train to Bangkok and met a few young backpackers and for the first time on over a year I spoke my native language!

When asked where I’m going, the words just came out,

“I go Bangkok, work as English teacher” in my worst pigeon English

They soon disappeared and I realized that my English left a lot to be desired.

By the time we had reached Hua Lampong Station in Bangkok, I had already discovered that the Thai language I had become so proficient at, would be absolutely no use to me in Bangkok. I had mastered the southern dialect, so as far as language was concerned, I had to start again from scratch.

How weird, lost my mother tongue and learned a language that was to prove useless!

My Good Freind Raj

I was lucky enough to be recommended a really quaint and out of the way guest house that was tucked away in a tiny alley off Radjamnuen Avenue. A teak Thai house with cushions everywhere and the sweet smell of incense filled the air, there was a feeling of tranquility about the place, and I settled in, quite happy to have found such a serene place! The manager was a likeable fellow by the name of Raj, a Nepalese guy who was fluent in English and happened to have a terrific sense of humour.

We had many laughs at the other guests’ expense, some of which I can recall.

The door to the guest house has a small slot that was opened whenever the bell rang, and one sunny morning, Raj and I are chatting at the reception desk, when the doorbell chimed,

“Pretend you can’t speak English Raj”

He opened the slot and a couple of English backpacking girls asked,

“Do you have any vacancies?”

“Room, yes, have room” Raj replied in his worst English.

“Come, come” he added, opening the door and beckoned them to the reception counter.

He then proceeded to open the guest ledger book and pointed to a spot,

“Signaytor” he said, handing them a pen.

“Nights, how many you want”? He added.

They wanted to stay one week, so Raj put them in the one double room on the top floor,

“Come, come, show room, show room” he beckoned in just about the worst English pronounciation I’d ever heard.

Upon his return, I filled him in on the plan.

About an hour later, we hear their footsteps coming down the stairs and I quickly pulled out this English grammar book,

“OK Raj, say after me,

Good morning, how are you today?”

Before he could reply, the girls were there and as they handed Raj the key, one of them glanced at the book we were reading,

“Ahh, you’re teaching him some English” she commented.

“Er yes, we started yesterday and already he has made amazing progress”

Raj looked at the girl,

“Going, where, you?”

She giggled a little, as silly uni girls do when they’re on their gap year, and they were gone.

I filled Raj in with the next step of my plan, and at around 8pm that night, the girls arrived.

Raj launched into speech in an instant, and in his best Oxford English,

“Now that is indeed a very good question, so good, in fact, that I would need a considerable amount of time to come up with an answer, but with some study, I do believe I can discover the meaning of life.”

One of the girl’s jaw dropped,

“Oh my God! He could hardly say a word this morning!”

I explained that in all my years as an English teacher, I had never encountered such a fast and talented learner.

She look over at Raj, who was reading the English grammar book,

“So, when I was asked for my definition of ecstasy, I gave the right answer” he nodded.

“May I know your definition of ecstasy?” she enquired.

“Well”, he paused for a few seconds,

“Ecstasy is a feeling you feel when you feel you are about to feel a feeling that you feel you’ve never felt before”

“Astounding” one of the girls remarked, shaking her head.

Next morning, Raj was plucking at his guitar, making off key sounds, much like a beginner would, when the girls arrived.

“Wow! You play the guitar too”

Raj smiled,

“Actually, after hearing a beautiful piece by a professional musician, I decided I wanted to be able to do that.”

“That’s amazing! When did u start to learn playing the guitar?”

“About 30 minutes ago” Raj replied, looking at his watch.

What they didn’t know was that Raj was a real master of the 12-string, and late that evening, the girls showed up.

Raj picked up his 12-string and began to play Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits), which stopped them in their tracks. I, too, acted as though a miracle had occurred, as Raj strummed away, never bothering to look at the fret.

“That was quite easy, even if I do say so myself” Raj commented, while carefully placing his guitar.

‘But this in incredible! I mean you learn at such a rate, that you can’t be human!” The smaller of the two girls proclaimed.

Raj shrugged his shoulders, “things just come to me”.

Military Mike

One of the guests was a muscular guy who sat silently reading in a corner, and even though he looked a little menacing, Raj assured me he was harmless. In fact, Raj took the time to fill me in with a little background on Mike.

A few years prior to this, Mike was in the South of France and met a couple of guys who invited him to a private party, which turned out to be a really wild affair. Drink, drugs and wild women were all on the menu and Mike being the kind of guy he was, got stuck in like it was his last few days on this earth (which wasn’t far wrong) and he awoke inside a barracks and was informed that his ass now belonged to the French Foreign Legion for the next 3 years!

The next morning at around 5am, a burly looking sergeant woke Mike by screaming in his ear, and once out of bed, he was ordered to put on his helmet, and make sure it is well attached to his head. The sergeant then took Mike round the neck and proceeded to ram his head against a steel locker door again and again, until the locker door was unrecogniseable! Raj went on to say that ever since that day, Mike has woken up at 4:50 am every morning without fail, and he had only finished his 3-year stint a few months prior to my arrival.

Mike came down the stairs, Raj said “watch this”

“MIKE, GO DOWN THE STREET AND BUY ME A NEWSPAPER” Raj bellowed, much like a sergeant would, and Mike stood to attention,

“Yes Sir” He replied, while saluting, and strode manfully to the main entrance.

Raj mentioned that the only way to get Mike to do anything was to order him in a loud voice!

It seems that 3 years with the FFL had left its mark on this poor chap. I wondered how much damage the head bashing had actually done, and Raj said that as neither of us knew him before that incident, we will never know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geronimo said:

“I go Bangkok, work as English teacher” in my worst pigeon English

Love it.

I think any average guy that turned up in LOS 30 or so years ago would have a large number of stories to tell of life in paradise.

Sadly, as LOS has lost the smile, and succumbed to greed, the stories have become less exotic and more mediocre.

I read stories years ago by a well known farang author ( age has removed his name from my memory banks ) who lived on the beach near Hat Yai, and frequented a local bar populated by real characters. Eventually I went to Hat Yai and took a local bus to said beach looking for said bar. Nowhere to be found. Sometime later I found the author at a book sale and asked him what happened to the bar- a resort had been built on the site, and the bar was gone forever. 

Does life get better as human knowledge advances, or are we just destroying everything in the search for a bigger bank balance?

IMO, LOS has lost that which made it special, and it is descending rapidly into the mediocrity that characterises the west now. Greed and PC take no prisoners.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Love it.

I think any average guy that turned up in LOS 30 or so years ago would have a large number of stories to tell of life in paradise.

Sadly, as LOS has lost the smile, and succumbed to greed, the stories have become less exotic and more mediocre.

I read stories years ago by a well known farang author ( age has removed his name from my memory banks ) who lived on the beach near Hat Yai, and frequented a local bar populated by real characters. Eventually I went to Hat Yai and took a local bus to said beach looking for said bar. Nowhere to be found. Sometime later I found the author at a book sale and asked him what happened to the bar- a resort had been built on the site, and the bar was gone forever. 

Does life get better as human knowledge advances, or are we just destroying everything in the search for a bigger bank balance?

IMO, LOS has lost that which made it special, and it is descending rapidly into the mediocrity that characterises the west now. Greed and PC take no prisoners.

Yes, I agree with you that Thailand has changed so much, and I was lucky enough to experience it before the westerners arrived in force.

• Like 1