Linksys Access Point

Crossy

OK, before this b00dy thing goes back to the shop (and all the hassle).

I have a Linksys WAP54G access point (new). Set up fine with the wizard and it works.

BUT

I can't access the web configuration page, get to the username/password (should be admin/admin) and get booted. Is it likely something (can't think what) I'm doing or is it buggered?

I've done a factory reset and also changed the password using the wizard, but still no cigar. :o Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thought of reloading the firmware, but you need to get to the web serverr to do that, no telnet access :D

Can you describe your network set-up? ADSL Modem? Router? Makes and model numbers will help.

Presumably yopu've got the Linksys WAP connected to an ethernet port on your router? When you open a browser and enter 192.168.1.245 you should get the user interface for the WAP. It sounds like you're getting that far, but maybe have messed up the username and password?

Maybe press the reset button on the back (hold it for more than 10 seconds), and start again.

This is not much info to go by but the only thing that comes to mind is that your network address is in the wrong subnet somehow.

So maybe your laptop is on IP 192.168.0.3 and the router is on 192.168.1.245. Should not happen with the standard settings but maybe you changed them or you set up your own IP hard-coded rather than using DHCP. In that case, you would be able to access the internet, but not the router.

Here is what to do to see if that was the problem:

- Make sure you know the IP of the router. Since I infer you can telnet in, you should know it. Let's say it's 192.168.1.245.

- Disable wireless on your laptop

- Connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable

- Go to Control Panel ->Network Connections -> Local Area Connection (double click)

- Go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) settings in the resulting control panel (double click)

- Set it to "Use the following IP address" and set it to 192.168.1.2

- Click OK in TCP IP settings

- Click OK in Local Area Connection Properties

Now try. type 192.168.1.245 in the web browser. Should connect.

If that doesn't work, return the router.

You are not using VPN, are you? My cisco VPN sometimes (but not always) makes the local IPs unreachable...

For more debugging, send us the IP address of the router and the output of "ipconfig" on the command line...

Edited by nikster

OK, before this b00dy thing goes back to the shop (and all the hassle).

I have a Linksys WAP54G access point (new). Set up fine with the wizard and it works.

BUT

I can't access the web configuration page, get to the username/password (should be admin/admin) and get booted. Is it likely something (can't think what) I'm doing or is it buggered?

I've done a factory reset and also changed the password using the wizard, but still no cigar. :o Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thought of reloading the firmware, but you need to get to the web serverr to do that, no telnet access :D

Blank username should do the trick. You could use dd-wrt custom firmware for some extra features and better stability. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php...ighlight=wap54g

Blank username should do the trick. You could use dd-wrt custom firmware for some extra features and better stability. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php...ighlight=wap54g

Yep that's it, sussed it last night in a fit of intelligence (San Miguel powered).

Looks like a bug in the firmware, every other piece of Linksys kit defaults to admin/admin (including this one according to the manual), serves me right for reading the book.

Thanks everyone for your input :D

EDIT BTW :o to :D makloey :D:)

Edited by Crossy