Peanut Butter Thread

a3tsw

3 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

All right, been following this thread since it started a couple of days ago.

Never thought there could be so many nuances to making your own peanut butter.

Here is what I'd like you all to comment on - what are you eating that you have to make peanut butter by the KG?

As a kid I ate plenty of it, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, peanut butter slathered on hot

toast, and my mothers favorite, peanut butted with banana.

I will admit I don't know why I abandoned ratting peanut butter, but I have been abroad

for the last 40 years in obscure places where you would not find peanut butter

on the "supermarket shelf".  So, I also get it - you're making something at home that is not

necessarily readily available and you like.

But what are you eating?

I make 2 kg of almond butter .. and it keeps almost forever. Not hard to make. 

I make it because its cheaper to make yourself than to buy it in a shop. 

Sometimes I make peanut butter too but prefer almond butter. 

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The contraption you linked above, according to the video, takes an hour or more....and shows them using/needing a fan to keep the device from overheating.... Not to mention being pretty noisy....

My food processor takes 3-4 minutes in total, and doesn't get hot or require any fan..

I have the device and use it here, no fan needed. Yes it takes an hour for 1,5 kg of the stuff.

But maybe the difference is that I make almond butter, peanuts are softer then almonds. I tried almond butter with the blender with knives (food processor) and I burned through a few of them. Does not happen with the machine. 

Food processor was just not up to the job (for almonds) i assumed the same would go for peanuts. If you say you can make it without breaking your food processor then peanuts are probably softer.

54 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have the device and use it here, no fan needed. Yes it takes an hour for 1,5 kg of the stuff.

But maybe the difference is that I make almond butter, peanuts are softer then almonds. I tried almond butter with the blender with knives (food processor) and I burned through a few of them. Does not happen with the machine. 

Food processor was just not up to the job (for almonds) i assumed the same would go for peanuts. If you say you can make it without breaking your food processor then peanuts are probably softer.

I've never tried almonds in my FP, that I can recall...

But I have used both cashews and peanuts many times with no problem... I'm just guessing that cashews are probably softer than peanuts....and certainly softer than almonds.

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never tried almonds in my FP, that I can recall...

But I have used both cashews and peanuts many times with no problem... I'm just guessing that cashews are probably softer than peanuts....and certainly softer than almonds.

I destroyed a few food processors with the almonds, so then I came up with this contraption. It works like a charm. I make big batches once in a while and done. My food processors were of good quality but just did not survive.

3 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

If you're in BKK, Bangkok Christian Guest House behind Central Silom sellsa homemade PB

Do you know, is their PB 100% peanuts and nothing else?  Or they're mixing in some kind of additives/sweeteners?

That's one reason I like making our own at home -- I know exactly what we're getting and eating.

With a lot of non-mass merchandise food products sold in Thailand, they often have no nutrition labeling at all, and sometimes not even ingredient lists. The Thai FDA must have some kind of exemption for small seller products.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

This topic is right up my alley...

I have a Phillips blender with a small, about 8-10 ounce blending container. I fill it to 1/2 with peanuts and sometimes cashews too, pour a couple of tablesspoons of honey then 2 tablespoons of peanut oil (NOTE: The only place I have been able to find peanut oil is Villa MKT) blend until smooth scoop out into a jar or whatever and enjoy...You'll need to do this a couple of times to get it down but easy and not messy..Hope this works for you...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 2:37 PM, BritManToo said:

peanuts.jpg

Just made my first batch using raw peanuts you recommended. I used Lotus house brand but probably comes from same source. Have to really keep a close eye on them to make sure they don't burn. Definitely better than the already roasted peanuts I had been using, which sometimes had a slight rancid or bitter flavor after being reheated. The taste is milder like you would expect from a commercial peanut butter. Thanks for the tip!

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

420789461_2019-06-2219_10_30.jpg.a9f7d426d85c2b07ca0c26ad767319ea.jpg

Thanks but it's not that simple. Nuts are often packed using the same packaging / processing machinery as grains. Cross contamination of only 20 parts / million is enough to make your Celiac very ill.

Thai nuts usually offer no advice on the pack as to if they are safe or not. Even some so called Gluten Free foods are not what they claim as many contain Cornflour or Maize starch or other harmful ingredients.

Animals that are fed on Corn are also a problem. Eat the meat and you get a reaction.

Da Roadrunner lives on fruit n veg (and bird seed of course). Nuts would be nice if I could find safe ones..... Yeah, I know... it is nuts!

9 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Da Roadrunner lives on fruit n veg (and bird seed of course). Nuts would be nice if I could find safe ones..... Yeah, I know... it is nuts!

You might find some useful options here:

https://www.verywellfit.com/are-nuts-and-peanuts-gluten-free-4157889

Just one of the sources mentioned above:

There are two categories of "gluten-free" on Nuts.com: gluten-free and gluten-free certified (from the GFCO). Those products that are GFCO-certified gluten-free have undergone stringent testing that ensures they contain fewer than 10 parts per million of gluten. Meanwhile, products that are labeled "gluten-free" but are not GFCO-certified are considered gluten-free to the legal standard of less than 20 parts per million of gluten. 

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You might find some useful options here:

https://www.verywellfit.com/are-nuts-and-peanuts-gluten-free-4157889

Thanks but most of these are not available in Thailand.

The following are available here but read on...... It's not so easy!

Blue Diamond makes several gluten-free-labeled almond products but then adds.... "Be aware that the gluten-free nut products may be processed in the same facility as the gluten-containing nut products."

Planters Nuts. "This is a Kraft Foods company. Kraft has a policy of calling out any gluten-containing ingredients on product labels. However, unless a product is explicitly labeled "gluten-free," it could be subject to gluten cross-contamination, even if it doesn't include any gluten-containing ingredients."

Like I said.... nuts.

9 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Thanks but most of these are not available in Thailand.

One of the things I've learned from living in Thailand is, if a person needs retail items that are out of the ordinary, there's a good chance that they'll have to look outside Thailand to obtain them.

That's one of the reasons why I'm constantly ordering things, especially specialized food items, from Amazon U.S. and having them reshipped here by my reshipping service (Amazon's own intl. shipping is too expensive, and doesn't handle all of their items, so I use a 3rd party service that's cheaper and handles everything!). Because I want or need those items, and they're simply unavailable in Thailand from any source at any price.

That's a price you pay for living in a whatever rank world country this is....despite its other advantages and disadvantages.

PS - No one ever said this kind of stuff is easy in Thailand. But it is achievable, if you're willing to broaden your horizon a bit.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:15 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One of the things I've learned from living in Thailand is, if a person needs retail items that are out of the ordinary, there's a good chance that they'll have to look outside Thailand to obtain them.

That's one of the reasons why I'm constantly ordering things, especially specialized food items, from Amazon U.S. and having them reshipped here by my reshipping service (Amazon's own intl. shipping is too expensive, and doesn't handle all of their items, so I use a 3rd party service that's cheaper and handles everything!). Because I want or need those items, and they're simply unavailable in Thailand from any source at any price.

That's a price you pay for living in a whatever rank world country this is....despite its other advantages and disadvantages.

PS - No one ever said this kind of stuff is easy in Thailand. But it is achievable, if you're willing to broaden your horizon a bit.

Finding, ordering and shipping stuff is easy. Getting Thai Customs Dept's sticky fingers off it is something else. Fortunately your average Somchai does not know what Peanut Butter is!

7 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Finding, ordering and shipping stuff is easy. Getting Thai Customs Dept's sticky fingers off it is something else. Fortunately your average Somchai does not know what Peanut Butter is!

I order food stuffs all the time, mostly with no Customs problem.

The tips for that include:

--having the items sent by national postal service like USPS, instead of private couriers like DHL and FedEx, and thus delivered here by ThaiPost.

--keeping the declared value of individual shipments under the 1500 baht customs "small package" exemption amount.

--trying to avoid things that by their appearance might be mistaken for some kinds of drugs, which can prompt Customs to open them and tear the packaging open, and then leave the contents spilled out loose in your box.

PS - On two different occasions, that's exactly what Thai customs did with two of my packages. They didn't charge me any duty or tax. But in one case, they tore open retail packed plastic bags of gluten free oatmeal. And in another case, similarly tore open some also retail packaged bags of Reece's Pieces chocolate candies. But both of those episodes happened a couple years ago, and haven't had repeats of that since.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I order food stuffs all the time with no Customs problem.

The tips for that include:

--having the items sent by national postal service like USPS, instead of private couriers like DHL and FedEx, and thus delivered here by ThaiPost.

--keeping the declared value of individual shipments under the 1500 baht customs "small package" exemption amount.

--trying to avoid things that by their appearance might be mistaken for some kinds of drugs, which can prompt Customs to open them and tear the packaging open, and then leave the contents spilled out loose in your box.

None of this negates the fact that Thai Customs are totally corrupt.

50 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

None of this negates the fact that Thai Customs are totally corrupt.

If ya want stuff from abroad (vs. going without locally), ya gotta deal with the system as it exists and make it work for you as best as possible. At least, that's the way I approach it.

• 6 months later...

Well! , I have hummed & hawed over which food processor to buy for over 6 Months and finally today , chose this one , made my first batch of peanut butter (500gm). Sure beats pounding away with the mortar & pestle.

Thanks all for your many suggestions and tips.

Happy Festive Greetings.

0ED30086-EB6F-4649-A8A9-8B3946937A87.jpeg

Edited by a3tsw
Forgot to add photo.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:19 PM, a3tsw said:

Well! , I have hummed & hawed over which food processor to buy for over 6 Months and finally today , chose this one , made my first batch of peanut butter (500gm). Sure beats pounding away with the mortar & pestle.

Thanks all for your many suggestions and tips.

Happy Festive Greetings.

0ED30086-EB6F-4649-A8A9-8B3946937A87.jpeg

Where did you buy the KitchenAid model from?

What kind of power/wattage does it have?

I bought from Central Dept. Store in Phuket , not sure about the power/wattage , had a look through the instructions book , but couldn’t find any specifications. However it made short work of the 500gm of peanuts that I threw into it , took longer to wash & clean the thing up after I had finished with it.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of tips for you  , when making peanut butter , always use a food processor, rather than a blender , and when buying peanuts , the one that are partially chopped up are better , as they take less time to process and save on wear on the blades.

will be making a new batch today. Cost 74baht for 1kg.

My comment won't help you to make peanut butter but I think it is worth sharing. My late father lived to the age of 83, most of that in good health. He always claimed that peanut butter was one of the reasons for that good health.

So following in his footsteps, I eat peanut butter every morning, almost every day of the year. Not just because of his belief but because it is my spread of choice with jam or honey on toast.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:01 AM, Aforek said:

I"try to make my own PB  , I have two blenders,  and go to Makro to buy peanuts 

now, I bought 100 % Morissons peanut butter at Big C, 149 bahts for 340 gr ( no salt , everything natural ) 

I buy 500g bags of peeled peanuts from Foodland for about 40-42b, and roast and grind/blend my own... 500g for 40-42b. No salt. Everything natural.