Peanut Butter Thread

a3tsw

Anyone out there make their own peanut butter?

i have been using Skippy , but find it too oily and expensive also.

I would like to make my own , have tried to do so using my Nutri Ninja machine , but the bowl is the wrong shape , I think , OK for making smoothies , but useless for peanuts.

I have searched YouTube for ideas , but cannot find out any info , regarding what type of machine to use , have also been to the big electric stores , powerbuy , HomePro , but don’t see anything similar to the one in the YouTube demo videos that I have watched. Have tried using the mortar & pestle , which was OK for small amounts , but would rather have something that can knock out 1kg batch at a time.

any tips would be most welcome.

Yes, Skippy sucks.

I understand you want to make your own, but there are a few natural Peanut butters here.  No added oil or sugar.

Brand: Tida Bear comes to mind. There are a few others in the higher end supermarkets.

10 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Makro has food processors....I'm sure Robinson's & others do too.....

Screenshot_2019-05-28-13-56-58-20.png

Thanks , never thought to look in macro and there is a branch close by where I live , will check it out later today ...cheers!

Thanks , but would prefer to make it myself , as it gives me options to vary what I can add , ie. some cashews ,  chia seeds etc , also with peanuts only about 70baht/kg , means there are substantial savings to be made in doing so .......main reason ????????

OP, you want a good power electric food processor with a wide bowl and large blade.

I use a 10-cup Black & Decker model from the U.S. that works very well, and I use for make fresh peanut butter about once a week using only 500g bags of skinned regular peanuts that are sold at Foodland, Villa and elsewhere, including Makro.

Obviously, before processing, you want to roast the raw peanuts... and from everything I've read, it suggests to do that on relatively low oven temperatures of about 115-120C, which usually seems to take about a half hour in my small electric oven to turn them a nice light shade of brown. You don't want them too dark, or it will give the PB a bitter taste. Light brown is good.

From what I've seen here, Philips seems to have a similar model electric food processor that runs around 2500 to 3500b... and can be hard to find in stock, but it's out there... For the Thais, electric drink blenders seem to be much more common, and true electric food processors much more rare.

This model below from Philips is the kind I'm talking about.... The price from this particular seller on Lazada TH strikes me as too high, but it's at least one example of the kind of model that's available here.\

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/philips-multi-purpose-food-processor-model-hr7627-electrical-appliances-for-professional-housewives-i283702144-s461378753.html

Here's a much better price for the same model from the Tesco Lotus store on Lazada, under 3000b, but showing out of stock at the moment.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/philips-hr7627-i803205-s924858.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

I really like Tong Garden's peanut butter. Not oily at all and the sugar levels are reasonable. It's also the cheapest I've seen. 99 baht for a 340g jar, but can be found for 79 baht at times. Best ever was a promotion back when they changed the packaging - 58 baht. I bought 15 jars that week.

Edited by moana
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, a3tsw said:

Thanks , but would prefer to make it myself , as it gives me options to vary what I can add , ie. some cashews ,  chia seeds etc , also with peanuts only about 70baht/kg , means there are substantial savings to be made in doing so .......main reason ????????

My skinned 500g peanut bags from Tesco, Big C, Foodland, etc run about 40-45b....

Two main brands, though Raitip is the one I usually buy, labeled as "peeled peanuts" in a medium blue colored bag. 

BTW, the same kind of electric food processor works great for making hummus with chickpeas and frijoles with pinto beans.

OP:

I had a similar experience as you. Bought a smoothie blender which seemed worthless for making peanut butter. But before you run out and buy a new blender, you might try adding the oil (and maybe a little more than you normally would) to the peanuts to help with the blending. If you periodically stop the blender and mix the chopped nuts around with a spoon, you can coax the peanuts into a smooth blend with a little patience. I'd use regular sugar or honey, but would stay away from palm sugar. Although delicious, it makes the peanut butter rock hard when refrigerated.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

OP, you want a good power electric food processor with a wide bowl and large blade.

I use a 10-cup Black & Decker model from the U.S. that works very well, and I use for make fresh peanut butter about once a week using only 500g bags of skinned regular peanuts that are sold at Foodland, Villa and elsewhere, including Makro.

Obviously, before processing, you want to roast the raw peanuts... and from everything I've read, it suggests to do that on relatively low oven temperatures of about 115-120C, which usually seems to take about a half hour in my small electric oven to turn them a nice light shade of brown. You don't want them too dark, or it will give the PB a bitter taste. Light brown is good.

From what I've seen here, Philips seems to have a similar model electric food processor that runs around 2500 to 3500b... and can be hard to find in stock, but it's out there... For the Thais, electric drink blenders seem to be much more common, and true electric food processors much more rare.

This model below from Philips is the kind I'm talking about.... The price from this particular seller on Lazada TH strikes me as too high, but it's at least one example of the kind of model that's available here.\

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/philips-multi-purpose-food-processor-model-hr7627-electrical-appliances-for-professional-housewives-i283702144-s461378753.html

Here's a much better price for the same model from the Tesco Lotus store on Lazada, under 3000b, but showing out of stock at the moment.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/philips-hr7627-i803205-s924858.html

Hi , thanks for this information, this is exactly what I needed to know.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

OP:

I had a similar experience as you. Bought a smoothie blender which seemed worthless for making peanut butter. But before you run out and buy a new blender, you might try adding the oil (and maybe a little more than you normally would) to the peanuts to help with the blending. If you periodically stop the blender and mix the chopped nuts around with a spoon, you can coax the peanuts into a smooth blend with a little patience. I'd use regular sugar or honey, but would stay away from palm sugar. Although delicious, it makes the peanut butter rock hard when refrigerated.

If you can get a regular, strong motor electric food processor with a good sized bowl, like the 10-cup variety I use, it will turn one 500g bag of peeled roasted peanuts into a similar portion of PB without any additives required at all in just a couple of minutes of blending.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yep, that's the Raitip brand I mentioned above.... works quite well for homemade PB.

The other commercial brand I also regularly see having peeled peanuts is Khaothong....

Tesco and Big C also seem to have their own store brands of peeled peanuts, though if memory serves, the Tesco brand for some reason is a slightly smaller package size at the same price as the 500g bags from the commercial brands.

Couple of things:  1st, the Phillips blender attachment can only be run on "pulse" when making peanut butter.  I have a cheapo chopper we bought some years ago on Lazada for about 300B, but have to run that on pulse also - burnt up the motor twice, and repair guy said "PLEASE only use pulse!"  Don't know if that chopper is still available, but I'll look.  2nd, if you make p'nut butter regularly, shop at Makro where you can buy a pack of 6 500g peeled raw peanuts for between 180 and 210 baht (30-35 baht per 500g). 3rd, as far as roasting:  No use heating up the entire kitchen with the oven for 30 minutes.  Just dump a bag of peanuts into a good-sized stoneware bowl & run them in the microwave for a total of about 9 minutes!  Roast them in approx six 90-second stages, though, removing the bowl from the m'wave and stiring the nuts after each 90 second interval.  Like yourself, I truly dislike Skippy and the vast majority of commercial peanut butters b/c of all the additives.  All I add to mine is a touch of salt - no oil needed for either roasting or grinding.  Hope this helps. 

BTW, I brought a machine here from the US when I moved here in '07, called the "Ultimate Chopper," that I'd used both there and here (using a 220-to-110 converter) to do the grinding.  Worked beautifully... that is, until I had an attention lapse and plugged the 110-v machine directly into the 220-v outlet.  Fried the machine instantly, beyond repair by the guys here b/c of unavailable parts.  Also, they no longer make that machine.  Ah, well... too bad.  It worked great.

1 hour ago, BkruaiRetiree said:

BTW, I brought a machine here from the US when I moved here in '07, called the "Ultimate Chopper," that I'd used both there and here (using a 220-to-110 converter) to do the grinding.  Worked beautifully... that is, until I had an attention lapse and plugged the 110-v machine directly into the 220-v outlet.  Fried the machine instantly, beyond repair by the guys here b/c of unavailable parts.  Also, they no longer make that machine.  Ah, well... too bad.  It worked great.

My Black & Decker FP from the U.S. has an 800 watt motor, and I've been running that particular unit probably 4-5 years now via a 1000 watt step-down power transformer, and it's been purring along just fine making peanut butter pretty much weekly.

I had a similar U.S. FP prior that eventually broke after MANY years of use, but that didn't have anything to do with the motor burning out. Usually when making PB, I run mine maybe 2 minutes on full grind, then stop and let it sit a couple minutes, and then run it again for another minute or two to just finalize the PB.... 

But if the Thai Philips model isn't capable of that kind of grinding, I'm glad to hear that to avoid potentially buying one in the future.  The reality is, though, the food processors I buy from Amazon usually run about $30-$40 vs. the typical $100 to $200 prices that a lot of FP run here.

Thanks for "step-down transformer" (couldn't recall the proper name when replying - I'm 75 & a bit fuzzy around the edges).  That's what I have - 2 of them, a 500-watt & a 1,500-watt to run all the stuff I brought from the States.  The Philips FP I own is actually a glorified blender, and while it has sufficient power and the motor isn't likely to burn out, the bearings in the chopper bowl attachment overheated and became very noisy (and loose, I discovered) when I ran it nonstop for about a minute.  Thus, I reverted to my "cheapo" chopper.  The motor on that chopper didn't burn out - I just said that for the sake of brevity.  Actually, it's the pressure-switch contacts that get toasted by nonstop running.  By following the repair guy's (Amorn) advice, the machine has worked flawlessly for 3 years now... although it's low capacity (about 1 cup) and difficult to clean.

Re the Philips FP you linked:  I don't know whether that one will handle making peanut butter or not.  I'm also very leery about where it's made, having been burned several times by substandard China-built machines (including a Cuisinart FP, btw - did get a refund from Central on that one).

I really like the B&D FP model you have - but, unfortunately, the shipping cost thru Amazon doubles the price.  Still, it's an option if/when my cheapo chopper bites the dust, so thanks for the info.  Also, try the m'wave roasting technique I mentioned.  Works terrifically & takes much less time... but don't try roasting them for 9 straight minutes (i.e., instead of cooking in 90-second intervals & stirring after each interval) or you'll get uneven results, including a bunch of burnt peanuts.  I know - I did it, but only once.  I'm not THAT fuzzy!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BkruaiRetiree said:

Re the Philips FP you linked:  I don't know whether that one will handle making peanut butter or not. 

The Philips FP I own is actually a glorified blender, 

So, the Philips device you have at home here is not the same device/model as the Philips FP I linked to above???

One difference between a "blender" vs. a "food processor", I'd assume, is the blender is aimed at dealing with liquids and presumably not encountering too much resistance, whereas a food processor hopefully is built to deal with heavier/more solid contents like meat, veggies, etc etc....and capable of encountering more resistance without getting fried....

All right, been following this thread since it started a couple of days ago.

Never thought there could be so many nuances to making your own peanut butter.

Here is what I'd like you all to comment on - what are you eating that you have to make peanut butter by the KG?

As a kid I ate plenty of it, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, peanut butter slathered on hot

toast, and my mothers favorite, peanut butted with banana.

I will admit I don't know why I abandoned ratting peanut butter, but I have been abroad

for the last 40 years in obscure places where you would not find peanut butter

on the "supermarket shelf".  So, I also get it - you're making something at home that is not

necessarily readily available and you like.

But what are you eating?

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

This is what i use for making almond butter and peanut butter. Works much better as those bladed things. 

The contraption you linked above, according to the video, takes an hour or more....and shows them using/needing a fan to keep the device from overheating.... Not to mention being pretty noisy....

My food processor takes 3-4 minutes in total, and doesn't get hot or require any fan..

5 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

All right, been following this thread since it started a couple of days ago.

Never thought there could be so many nuances to making your own peanut butter.

Here is what I'd like you all to comment on - what are you eating that you have to make peanut butter by the KG?

As a kid I ate plenty of it, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, peanut butter slathered on hot

toast, and my mothers favorite, peanut butted with banana.

I will admit I don't know why I abandoned ratting peanut butter, but I have been abroad

for the last 40 years in obscure places where you would not find peanut butter

on the "supermarket shelf".  So, I also get it - you're making something at home that is not

necessarily readily available and you like.

But what are you eating?

I don't make PB by 1 kg per time... I use one 500g bag of peeled, home roasted peanuts per time, and that ends up as pretty much a similar amount of peanut butter when done. Needs to be kept in the frig and not kept too long, as there are no preservatives or chemical additives in the homemade stuff... Just 100% roasted peanuts, period.

For me, I mainly use the PB for breakfast in the morning as a topping on either toast or toasted English muffins... And at times, at night if I'm feeling like a snack, I'll eat some rice crackers and use them to scoop up a bit of PB to go with each one....

I'm also planning to use some of my PB as a flavoring in some homemade frozen LF yogurt I've been making lately at home with a newly acquired Cuisinart electric ice cream maker/mixer... But thus far, I've mostly been using decaf coffee and Hersheys cocoa powder as my main frozen yogurt flavor choices.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't make PB by 1 kg per time... I use one 500g bag of peeled, home roasted peanuts per time, and that ends up as pretty much a similar amount of peanut butter when done. Needs to be kept in the frig and not kept too long, as there are no preservatives or chemical additives in the homemade stuff... Just 100% roasted peanuts, period.

For me, I mainly use the PB for breakfast in the morning as a topping on either toast or toasted English muffins... And at times, at night if I'm feeling like a snack, I'll eat some rice crackers and use them to scoop up a bit of PB to go with each one....

I'm also planning to use some of my PB as a flavoring in some homemade frozen LF yogurt I've been making lately at home with a newly acquired Cuisinart electric ice cream maker/mixer... But thus far, I've mostly been using decaf coffee and Hersheys cocoa powder as my main frozen yogurt flavor choices.

Hey thanks, I wasn't trying to be "cheeky" ... just asking.  Seriously curios about what you folks are making

or eating with the peanut butter.  Anyone have some favorite recipes?

Edited by expat_4_life

i just use a regular phillips smoothie maker / blender

half kg of peanuts, bit of olive oil, sugar, salt

once blender is on, use a wooden spoon to move things round a bit until it starts to turn creamy

easy, and delicious

washing up can be a bit messy mind!