Change from retirement to marriage visa, question re the 400K

I've decided to get the 60-day family visa when my retirement extension is up on 10 July rather than take the chance of being denied the retirement extension. At the same time (or just before) I will begin to prepare for the marriage visa to follow the 60-day family visa. I understand I have to deposit 400K Baht in my bank account for 60 days. But the one thing I am not clear on is - does there have to be a trail of the money coming in from abroad? My wife keeps telling me that a visa agent told her that the money has to be transferred from out of the country. Is that true? If so, that presents a whole other can of worms for me.

Thanks for your continued advice.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not need financial proof to apply for a 60 day extension of stay (it is not a visa) to visit your wife.

The 400k baht in the bank for 2 months is only needed to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. There is no requirement to prove the funds came from abroad.

Yes, ubonjoe I understand about the 60-day interim extension of stay.  After the 60 days is up, I plan on getting the extension based on marriage. So I will deposit the 400K before 10 July so I am ready to go once the end of the 60-day extension approaches.

Thanks for confirming the 400K does not have to come from abroad.

I already know what I need for the extension of stay based on marriage, but could ubonjoe or someone advise me on what I need to have ready for the interim 60-day extension of stay for visiting family? The C.M. Immigration website is useless. Thanks in advance.

If you now have an OA Long-stay visa and have been extending your stay based on the retirement criteria, you can just switch to an extension based on marriage at your usual extension time. I've switched back and forth several times. And although I don't claim to be an expert on the new rules, I do think you have to be able to show proof from your bank that you have of the money (800K or 400K) on deposit for at least two months prior to applying for your extension. I've never heard there is a requirement that these funds have to had been transferred in from overseas, but I could understand why that might indeed be a requirement to prevent you from just borrowing the money temporarily from someone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

I already know what I need for the extension of stay based on marriage, but could ubonjoe or someone advise me on what I need to have ready for the interim 60-day extension of stay for visiting family?

Your wife needs to be with you. Copies of  marriage certificate, wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

For the marriage, visa is it strictly 400K or is there an ability to show that you have x amount coming in. 

It is 400k baht in the bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife needs to be with you. Copies of  marriage certificate, wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her.

Have to get your marriage certificate updated to the present. And make a small deposit at your bank on the day you go for extension. Just did mine two days ago.

23 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Have to get your marriage certificate updated to the present. And make a small deposit at your bank on the day you go for extension.

I was writing about he requirements for a 60 day extension to visit his wife not the one year extension.

• Like 1

The new law for marriage visas requires 3 months from what I was told at immigrations a week ago. I had 2 months and was turned down they gave me a 60 day visiting visa until I had my 3 months.

11 minutes ago, hlj said:

The new law for marriage visas requires 3 months from what I was told at immigrations a week ago. I had 2 months and was turned down they gave me a 60 day visiting visa until I had my 3 months.

There is no new police order that changes the requirement to 3 months from 2 months.

Perhaps a local policy for the 3 month requirement. 

9 hours ago, billsmart said:

If you now have an OA Long-stay visa and have been extending your stay based on the retirement criteria

If he's been getting extensions of stay based on retirement, he wouldn't "now" have a valid O-A visa. It would have expired. Extending one's permission to stay doesn't revive an expired visa.

That's why someone on an extension needs a re-entry permit if leaving and returning. It's needed because you don't have a visa, just an extended permission to stay.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Thanks 1

Ubon Joe,
I am thinking of changing if from O-A retirement extension to Marriage.
Is there any other paper work needed as well?
Does my wife need to go to immigration too?
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Does my UK passport need translating/authorising at Chang Wattana as well as my UK Marriage certificate before I can have my Thai marriage certified at the Amphur office? CW hasn't mentioned this but local Amphur state it is a requirement,

9 hours ago, Deerculler said:

I am thinking of changing if from O-A retirement extension to Marriage.
Is there any other paper work needed as well?
Does my wife need to go to immigration too?

Here is my general list of the required documents for an extension based upon marriage. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

Your wife must be with you and she will have to complete a statement that you both sign.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wilai said:

Does my UK passport need translating/authorising at Chang Wattana as well as my UK Marriage certificate before I can have my Thai marriage certified at the Amphur office? CW hasn't mentioned this but local Amphur state it is a requirement,

If you registered your marriage at a Amphoe all you need is your marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3) and a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry.

Only a foreign marriage requires what you mentioned.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you registered your marriage at a Amphoe all you need is your marriage certificate (Kor Ror 3) and a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry.

Cheers Joe. I am trying to register it at the Amphoe at this stage. Better get a translation done I guess. Have to go CW again anyway as the bloody translator put an incorrect year on her version of the certificate!

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I’m reverting to a marriage visa (January) after 3 years retirement and have Thai marriage certificate (was married here). I recall a document from Amphoe  when initially I did marriage extensions. Would that be a Kor Ror 2 and do I have to obtain this again (refresh) when I revert to marriage visa ?

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Would that be a Kor Ror 2 and do I have to obtain this again (refresh) when I revert to marriage visa ?

it would be a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry. You will need a fresh printout of it from any Amphoe. They will sign it, and stamp with the date was done. Your wife can easily get one by showing here ID card and completing a form requesting it for a fee of 20 baht.

It is needed to prove you are still married. If you got divorced there would not be one to printout.

• 2 weeks later...

For marriage I will have a letter from my embassy stating my income from my own country.
It will be well in excess of 40000 baht per month or 400,000 per year.
This is for changing from Retirement extension.
Am I still okay for to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

For marriage I will have a letter from my embassy stating my income from my own country.
It will be well in excess of 40000 baht per month or 400,000 per year.
This is for changing from Retirement extension.
Am
Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hi Joe,
Questions please.
( 1 )

If I decide go from Retirement extension to the marriage extension.
Can that be done anytime of the year?

( 2 )

If I decide to go to Savannakhet for a multiple entry non-o visa.
What documentation do I need to take?

Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/30/2019 at 4:18 PM, hlj said:

What Immigration Office gave you that ruling?

• Like 1