Spinning Bikes In Bkk Or Chiangmai?

ericjt

Hi -- We're looking for places to buy a spinning bike in Thailand. We live in ChiangMai and would prefer to buy a spinning bike in ChiangMai, but we'll go to Bangkok or other places, too. Does anyone know where we might be able to buy a spinning bike in Thailand? Or anyone looking to sell a spinning bike? Thanks -- ericjt

Hi -- We're looking for places to buy a spinning bike in Thailand. We live in ChiangMai and would prefer to buy a spinning bike in ChiangMai, but we'll go to Bangkok or other places, too. Does anyone know where we might be able to buy a spinning bike in Thailand? Or anyone looking to sell a spinning bike? Thanks -- ericjt

What do you actually mean by spinning bike? Is this a indoor bicycle trainer with a spinning flywheel?

It's a kind of exercise bike that doesn't move and I know that the gym that used to be above Rim Ping on Chang Puak road has a lot of them, but they are now in the old Tantrapan building near the S&P restaurant on the North side of the moat.

It's a kind of exercise bike that doesn't move and I know that the gym that used to be above Rim Ping on Chang Puak road has a lot of them, but they are now in the old Tantrapan building near the S&P restaurant on the North side of the moat.

I have an indoor training bike with front flywheel which I purchased last year from Supersports at Central Chitlom. Cost about 28,000 baht (after discounts) model name EN975 Class SC, but there is no makers name on the machine. It is made in Taiwan or Korea and is very solid and 'rides' like a racing bike. I have seen this model also on sale in a sports equipment suppliers in Pattaya, and also in one shopping mall in BKK.

Probike on Sarasin Road behind Lumphini park used to have a real super-duper model with rear flywheel for about 60,000 baht

I saw yet another model in a gym equipment supplier on Surawong road near Sap Road for about 45,000 baht.

They are not cheap, but in my experience far, far better than other designs.

Dear Ulysses, Rak Sa Ngap, and Pampal (and All) --

Thanks very much for the information on spinning bikes and where to get them in Thailand. We're traveling now, but we'll be back in a few months, and your leads will be a big help.

In the meantime, if you hear of anyone who has a good spinning bike and wants to sell it and can wait a few months for a buyer, please give them this email address: [email protected].

BTW, for the people who didn't know what a spinning bike was, Ulysses was right. It's a stationary bike that you pedal like crazy for an hour or more, going fast and slow and fast and slow.

To me, it looks like it's painful and sweaty and hard work, and I don't understand why it's become so popular, but it has, and my wife wants one. She loves to spin. Maybe if I try it I'll get hooked too. Who knows? But that's what it is.

Anyhow, thanks again --

ericjt :o

I enjoy the best of both worlds with the TACX I-Magic, in door on the I-Magic and take the bike out for road work.

Personally I could never get into training on one of these bicycle 'stands' where one mounts one's own bike frame. It is uncomfortable because of no/limited suspension and also the 'wobbly' feel of the whole system. Also requires setting up, and dismantling everytime you go out on the road.

A flywheel trainer is much firmer and should have better suspenion so much more comfortable to use on a regular basis.

If you have the money this I think is the best wasy to go.

I enjoy the best of both worlds with the TACX I-Magic, in door on the I-Magic and take the bike out for road work.

Personally I could never get into training on one of these bicycle 'stands' where one mounts one's own bike frame. It is uncomfortable because of no/limited suspension and also the 'wobbly' feel of the whole system. Also requires setting up, and dismantling everytime you go out on the road.

A flywheel trainer is much firmer and should have better suspenion so much more comfortable to use on a regular basis.

If you have the money this I think is the best wasy to go.

No idea about suspension, I ride a triathalon bike with tires at about 150PSI on race day, and the last thing you have/want is any suspension in the system. For spin training, like almost every triathalete I knew when I was racing, we use our own bikes, with a quality stand, costing about 8000b back in NZ; it is a solid cast iron thing and the wheel runs against it's own fly wheel and simulates road riding in position. My one clamps on the to back wheel axel, the front wheel is stationary and there is no wiggling or movement in the system at all. The only thing I do is to rest the front wheel on something to ensure the frame is level, otherwise it feels like I a riding down a hill. Body position is as per riding on the road. Use gears to change workload exactly as per riding outside; can change the workload by tire pressure on the back wheel and controlling the amount of pressure of the flywheel against the bike tire, but I don't bother doing that.

To set up and dismantle, takes about 15 seconds to release tension of the back axel support, and then wheel the bike out, I have a pick up so just load the whole bike into the back on the about 3 times I ride every 3 years.

I've seen the Klein flywheel trainers at the gym, and the body position and handlebars aren't so useful for tri training. Might be ok for mountain biking?