Trump to impose 5% tariff on Mexican imports over illegal immigration

webfact

2 hours ago, Bucknaway said:

So far I haven't noticed any price increases here in the USA related to The tariffs levied against China. But even if the prices do go up it's better we endure it now to secure our future.

America has kicked this can down the road for too long.

11 minutes ago, neeray said:

Hello newbie Bucknaway. "So far I haven't noticed any price increases here in the USA related to The tariffs" .

You will. It's inevitable. Importers can not just absorb the increase to their landed cost. Some may still be shipping pre-tariff stock to their dealers/retailers. The Trump tariffs will affect your wallet without doubt. They have to. Inflation is as sure as death. And after the tariffs are gone (yes, that day will come), you won't see prices go back down either.

On the one hand there's the rigorously correct report from Bucknaway and on the other there are these highly suspect authorities:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/26/ny-fed-trump-tariffs-costing-us-consumers-1point4-billion-per-month.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/13/this-chart-from-goldman-sachs-shows-tariffs-are-raising-prices-for-consumers-and-it-could-get-worse.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I think that it is distinctly possible that poster "bucknaway" just may not have noticed or realized that he is paying more. Some shoppers are conscious of what they pay (me), some are not.

As a "marketer", I observe people's routines when I am shopping.

Neither importers, distributors or retailers eat additional inventory costs.

• Thanks 1

Removed a post and the replies that claimed others were paid to post. If you have any actual evidence please forward it to support. If it's just a lame debating tactic, further references like that may find you without posting rights. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

This should help to keep Texas and Arizona red. Perhaps even New Mexico will flip. The people at the border aren't too amused by all of this and the dems own this one. Suddenly the sanctuary cities don't want to take these immigrants and some of the most poverty ridden counties in the entire USA are asked to foot the bill.

This will hurt the economies of the border states first.  Why do you think it will keep them red?

13 hours ago, ToS2014 said:
On 5/31/2019 at 7:44 AM, Tug said:

Oh boy we get to pay an extra 5% tax and get nothing in return thanks Donald tired of winning yet?and Donald’s boy pence is out touting the new trade deal lol what a dumpster fire of a presidency

Oh boy....and how much 'we' pay for illegals entering the country and get ABSOLUTELY NOTING in return?  It would be interesting to research how much the open EU borders, has cost the average EU national.  I'd wager its more than 5%.  I also wonder how much greenback is transferred OUT of the US to families back 'home'?  It baffles me that 'normal' citizens pay their due diligence in taxes while the government spends an insane amount for their (illegal) welfare.  I always thought the government one paid taxes to took care of....well never mind, silly of me for thinking

You have a curious understanding of how percentages work. Or how the welfare and tax system work. If only some actual thinking were involved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tug said:

Tired of winning yet?how about that stock market and guess what how much for a new car???oh it’s going to go up boys and girls why you ask why just ask Donald why he is a very stable genius you know

Oh, no! All my stawks money. Oh, lordy, I got greedy and thought it was Dow 50,000 for sure. And I wants is my stawks money! I don't care if the rest of the country works for slave wages and the Chinese take over the world. I don't care if China harvests organs and puts millions in concentration camps. And I don't care if the Chamber of Commerce is outsourcing everything movable to Mexico. I just wants my stawks money.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Oh, no! All my stawks money. Oh, lordy, I got greedy and thought it was Dow 50,000 for sure. And I wants is my stawks money! I don't care if the rest of the country works for slave wages and the Chinese take over the world. I don't care if China harvests organs and puts millions in concentration camps. And I don't care if the Chamber of Commerce is outsourcing everything movable to Mexico. I just wants my stawks money.

Actually, it's Trump 

4 hours ago, howbri said:

Tariffs on Mexico is the only way to stop the invasion of illegals. Go Donald and build the wall also. It's not the "world's choice" who comes in, it's ours.

You may have a point. If Trump manages to crash the US economy, there will definitely be less jobs for everyone, including illegals

2 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

This why Trump was put into place.....he's not the usual slime ball politician who will sell out the country

for short term gain. I find it laughable that people here don't understand that all these risks have been calculated.

If you're a Mexican auto parts company, what are you going to do? Close your plant and walk away? Or start shipping

your parts to Europe?

LOL....cmon anti trumpers, show some intelligence dont just parrot CNN.

Exactly who do you think the customers for these Mexican plants are? No, it won't be Mexican auto plants walking away. Us based auto manufacturers will just be charging more for their autos. American consumers will pay. Wait, I got that wrong. I guess since Trump thinks it's the Chinese paying the tariffs, he probably believes it's Mexico who will be paying for that, too. Just like the wall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bristolboy said:

I guess when you've got nothing you have to resort to silly, irrelevant comebacks. So far you've demonstrated that you understand nothing about modern supply chains and how the American automobile industry is structures.

is there any subject you're not a master of?

You should obviously be some kind of heavy hitter in American politics.....you're probably

wasted in Isaan/pattaya/bangkok. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

This why Trump was put into place.....he's not the usual slime ball politician who will sell out the country

for short term gain. I find it laughable that people here don't understand that all these risks have been calculated.

If you're a Mexican auto parts company, what are you going to do? Close your plant and walk away? Or start shipping

your parts to Europe?

LOL....cmon anti trumpers, show some intelligence dont just parrot CNN.

"people here don't understand that all these risks have been calculated."

Really?  What evidence do you have of that?  What is Trump's past history of calculating the consequences of his actions?

"show some intelligence"

You first. 

• Like 1

Garry Kasparov (‪@Kasparov63‬)

1/6/19, 12:17

Tucker Carlson wouldn't recognize a hostile foreign power if it attacked US elections, undermined US allies, and aimed nukes at the US. twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence…

Tucker Carlson: “When the United States is attacked by a hostile foreign power, it must strike back. And make no mistake, Mexico is a hostile foreign power” https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1134611937193578501/video/1

• Like 1

*Removed post edited out*

No you have that wrong the us and world wide consumers just won’t buy cars it’s a great time to invest in used cars and a bad time to be an auto maker your Donald is a disaster 

I also missed the post:

"On top of everything else, we have U.S. Military veterans bad mouthing our Commander and Chief over here in Asia...as far as I'm concerned they are the lowest scum on the earth.  Traitors."

I assume it has been deleted and I suspect it was about me.  I'd like to know who thinks it is unacceptable for veterans to have and express political opinions.  What gives the person the right to call us the lowest scum on the earth and traitors?

• Like 2

I guarantee by the end of next week the Mexican military and police will be all over, both their Southern and Northern borders and everywhere in between. Either stopping people from coming in or gathering illegals up and sending them south.

The largest corporations from all over the world operate in Mexico, and got a good thing going with NAFTA. Everyone of those CEO's from said corps. are on the phone either making threats or making payments to Mexican officials to stop this lunacy, now that their profits are being threatened.

Edited by dcutman
  • Like 1

Tucker Carlson: “When the United States is attacked by a hostile foreign power, it must strike back. And make no mistake, Mexico is a hostile foreign power” https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1134611937193578501/video/1

No doubt hostilities will commence shortly. I volunteer to be deployed to Cancun. Those American lasses on spring break are gonna need protection, man.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dcutman said:

I guarantee by the end of next week the Mexican military and police will be all over, both their Southern and Northern borders and everywhere in between. Either stopping people from coming in or gathering illegals up and sending them south.

The largest corporations from all over the world operate in Mexico, and got a good thing going with NAFTA. Everyone of those CEO's from said corps. are on the phone either making threats or making payments to Mexican officials to stop this lunacy, now that their profits are being threatened.

Because Mexico can do what the USA can't?

It's useful to remember that Trump has set no objective criteria for what would constitute success. So he may well declare victory without their being any substantive change.

36 minutes ago, Credo said:

Mexico has it's hand full with battles against the Cartels and increasing levels of violence.   It has implemented several measures to curtail illegals on its Southern border.   It has increased return of those entering Mexico illegally, it has implemented an asylum/work permit system for those in Mexico.   

It might be a better approach to improve the situation in the home countries and to work with, rather than against, Mexico to try to slow the tide.   

Not just that. Mexico has 2 borders to contend with. The southern border is over 500 miles long and much of it is covered with jungle. And the northern border is, oddly enough, exactly the same length as the southern border of the USA.  And Mexico's resources are far more limited than those of the USA.

Edited by bristolboy

3 hours ago, Credo said:

Mexico has it's hand full with battles against the Cartels and increasing levels of violence.   It has implemented several measures to curtail illegals on its Southern border.   It has increased return of those entering Mexico illegally, it has implemented an asylum/work permit system for those in Mexico.   

It might be a better approach to improve the situation in the home countries and to work with, rather than against, Mexico to try to slow the tide.   

True. But the only people Trump has shown any inclination to work with are Natanyahu, Putin and MBS—all of them criminals of one kind or another.

• Like 2