Money in bank how long before and after

False info. Just another rumor.

There have been no changes to clause 2.18 of the police orders. Only a extension of stay based upon retirement requires the before and after and it was changed from 3 months before to 2 months.

The only change is that some offices want to see that the 400k baht is still in the bank at the end of the under consideration period.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

False info. Just another rumor.

There have been no changes to clause 2.18 of the police orders. Only a extension of stay based upon retirement requires the before and after and it was changed from 3 months before to 2 months.

The only change is that some offices want to see that the 400k baht is still in the bank at the end of the under consideration period.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, naidraw66 said:

Hi Please confirm for retirement extension 800k needs to be in your account 2 months b4, and not 3 months as before . .

Thank you in advance ????

Order 35/2561 states:

(4). At least 2 months prior to the filing date and at least 3 months after being granted permission, the alien must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than THB 800,000. The alien can withdraw the fund 3 months after being granted permission and the remaining balance must be no less than THB 400,000, 

However some IO have interpreted that as 2 months before for the very first application only, thereafter 3 months before as per the old order. They are wrong in my opinion.

If in doubt and you don't know what your own IO is enforcing, take the safe route of 3 months before.

Naming the office you report to may help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

Heard from several sources 400k for extension based on marriage. Now entails 400k to be in 3 months before and 3 months after.

True or yet another miss information rumor

Thanks

2 months before, no change.

It's advisable though to not withdraw any funds whilst your application is under consideration.

Once the extension is granted you can withdraw the lot if required.

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

2 months before, no change.

It's advisable though to not withdraw any funds whilst your application is under consideration.

Once the extension is granted you can withdraw the lot if required.

So if I am single, I have to keep at least 400K baht in the bank for the duration. Then top up to 800K 2 months before my next extension. If I am married, I can draw it all out? Would some kind person explain the logic to me?

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

So if I am single, I have to keep at least 400K baht in the bank for the duration. Then top up to 800K 2 months before my next extension. If I am married, I can draw it all out? Would some kind person explain the logic to me?

Not the same since they are issued for different reasons.

An extension based upon marriage is issued for humanitarian reasons not convenience like retirement is.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Wife's are expensive to keep.  :sorry:

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not the same since they are issued for different reasons.

An extension based upon marriage is issued for humanitarian reasons not convenience like retirement is.

Thanks for the explanation.

Actually, the juxtaposition of marriage and humanitarianism has given me my laugh for the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The financial requirement for ‘retirees’ is tougher/higher to control numbers.

The two reasons for stay are not comparable. Spouses are granted permission to stay to with their wife and only have to provide — what immigration consider — the minimum required to cover their stay.

I have just renewed my extension for marriage. The immigration officer asked me where I got the money for my deposit (I have kept Thb 400000 in my account for 2 years+). She informed me that I may have to prove that it came from outside Thailand. 

I suspect that she was making up an additional rule of her own. I have come across civil servants in various countries, including UK, doing this. The British Embassy in Bangkok tried this on with me away back in 1986 when my wife applied for a marriage visa.

11 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I have just renewed my extension for marriage. The immigration officer asked me where I got the money for my deposit (I have kept Thb 400000 in my account for 2 years+). She informed me that I may have to prove that it came from outside Thailand. 

They are just looking for a way to avoid processing your application "for free" - i.e. "for 1900 baht to the govt, without personal-payment to them via their agent-partners." 

Sometimes it's landlord-docs, other times the source of your income, now the source of the money-in-the-bank.  Whatever it takes to get that extra-money out of us.

14 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I suspect that she was making up an additional rule of her own. I have come across civil servants in various countries, including UK, doing this. The British Embassy in Bangkok tried this on with me away back in 1986 when my wife applied for a marriage visa.

It’s not something immigration generally ask proof of; however, unless the money was obtained from work in Thailand it should originate from abroad and they are within the rights to ask for proof.

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

They are just looking for a way to avoid processing your application "for free" - i.e. "for 1900 baht to the govt, without personal-payment to them via their agent-partners." 

Sometimes it's landlord-docs, other times the source of your income, now the source of the money-in-the-bank.  Whatever it takes to get that extra-money out of us.

Wouldn’t it be best to ask the member if they were asked for “extra-money” or referred to an “agent-partner” before jumping to your usual conclusion!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Wouldn’t it be best to ask the member if they were asked for “extra-money” or referred to an “agent-partner” before jumping to your usual conclusion!

Or if an agent service was even available in that Province.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Maybole said:

If using the funds in the bank method via a fixed term account, or Embassy Income letters, my IO are requesting a 3 month bank statements showing sufficient funds to support their stay during any seasoning periods. Caught out a couple using Embassy letters and not transferring any funds whatsoever.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

No - IOs often don't come out and demand you use an agent - they know people must, when they make in-person honest applications difficult.  It's a widespread practice.

54 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Or if an agent service was even available in that Province.

Where there is no agent, and you are getting runarounds to spite meeting the official qualifications, you are supposed to pay the "tea money" directly to make the abuse stop.  Reports in those areas often call these payments "grease." 

Local offices have minimal oversight, in order to allow them to carry on this way.  Otherwise, the chain of command would crack down and put an end to it nationwide.  Evidently, they benefit from the practice, as well.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:
2 hours ago, elviajero said:

No - IOs often don't come out and demand you use an agent - they know people must, when they make in-person honest applications difficult.  It's a widespread practice.

So they don't tell you to use an agent or demand money. LOL!!!!

It is not a widespread practice. I could probably find 100 reports (not going to) from people told to get extra/different documents; and not one was extorted or pushed to an agent. They went away, got the document, and had the extension granted. 

To make it in Thailand you have to accept the system they operate under and do whatever they want. If you don't like it, don't stay. Often the way they operate can be a benefit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, elviajero said:

So they don't tell you to use an agent or demand money. LOL!!!!

It is not a widespread practice. I could probably find 100 reports (not going to) from people told to get extra/different documents; and not one was extorted or pushed to an agent. They went away, got the document, and had the extension granted. 

To make it in Thailand you have to accept the system they operate under and do whatever they want. If you don't like it, don't stay. Often the way they operate can be a benefit.

Some refer to agents - most just look at you like you are stupid not to get it.

And it is "whatever they say" - not what the official rules say - this is the problem.  And, yes, if you back and forth enough - fetching things that are not required - you may eventually be granted the extension you qualified for with what you brought on the first visit.

Many will get worn down, and take the easy payoff route.  IOs know this.  They are counting on it.

19 hours ago, elviajero said:

It’s not something immigration generally ask proof of; however, unless the money was obtained from work in Thailand it should originate from abroad and they are within the rights to ask for proof.

Although it is not written into the regulations. She may well just have as much right as to specify which country it came from and insist it was Somalia! I moved money here many years ago and have mostly lived off that as my home currency plummets. It would be difficult to show where it came from 10 years ago! 

On 5/31/2019 at 10:53 AM, Tanoshi said:

Order 35/2561 states:

(4). At least 2 months prior to the filing date and at least 3 months after being granted permission, the alien must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than THB 800,000. The alien can withdraw the fund 3 months after being granted permission and the remaining balance must be no less than THB 400,000, 

However some IO have interpreted that as 2 months before for the very first application only, thereafter 3 months before as per the old order. They are wrong in my opinion.

If in doubt and you don't know what your own IO is enforcing, take the safe route of 3 months before.

Jomtien . . .thank you

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Some refer to agents - most just look at you like you are stupid not to get it.

And it is "whatever they say" - not what the official rules say - this is the problem.  And, yes, if you back and forth enough - fetching things that are not required - you may eventually be granted the extension you qualified for with what you brought on the first visit.

Many will get worn down, and take the easy payoff route.  IOs know this.  They are counting on it.

Most people I know follow the rules and are out of the office in well under an hour.......in Udon

• Like 1

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the fact that JackThompson is convinced that Immigration officers are pushing to use agents.

Of course it is extremely disturbing as he claim it at nauseam,

and therefore highly proba bly, it can have the inversely effect he is hoping to attain. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Where there is no agent, and you are getting runarounds to spite meeting the official qualifications, you are supposed to pay the "tea money" directly to make the abuse stop.  Reports in those areas often call these payments "grease." 

I've never been given the run-around. Two different offices, different Provinces.

Retirement and Marriage extensions.

Never been subjected to the request for 'tea money'.

I have witnessed those being given the 'run-around' as you refer to it, but that was self inflicted because they haven't produced the correct required documents.

A couple I know travel to Pattaya each year to obtain extensions through agents, paying extortionate fees because they don't meet the financial requirements to obtain it legally. They leave themselves open to corruption because the only other alternative would be to leave Thailand, or go on overstay.

If corruption was as widespread as you infer, the above wouldn't have to travel to Pattaya, which is a round trip of over 1,100 Kms, they'd obtain their extensions locally.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 10:53 AM, Tanoshi said:

Order 35/2561 states:

2 months before In Jomtien

• Thanks 1