Chiang Mai Immigration

The trouble with the combo method at least this year with the big changes is that even if accepted at a particular office, the specific mechanics of enforcement are complicated for both the expat and the officer. Especially for those without embassy letters. Add to that the new seasoning rules for the full bank method now apply to the combo method but again the specific mechanics of that while clear for the full bank method are confusing for the combo method.

This is why I have been strongly advising people to try to NOT rely on the combo method at least this year, in CM or anywhere. Presumably potential combo method people don't have the full 65K income for a full income method, so the most realistic and reliable option is the full 800K method. (Or elite card.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

The trouble with the combo method at least this year with the big changes is that even if accepted at a particular office, the specific mechanics of enforcement are complicated for both the expat and the officer. Especially for those without embassy letters. Add to that the new seasoning rules for the full bank method now apply to the combo method but again the specific mechanics of that while clear for the full bank method are confusing for the combo method.

This is why I have been strongly advising people to try to NOT rely on the combo method at least this year, in CM or anywhere. Presumably potential combo method people don't have the full 65K income for a full income method, so the most realistic and reliable option is the full 800K method. (Or elite card.)

Makes sense, otherwise (extreme example) you could use 799k in the bank and 1k spread out over twelve months if the seasoning didn't apply to the combo method.

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Or someone who has done a combo at ChiangMai immigration. ????

Ah.. The elusive or extinct Chiang Mai Combo... :coffee1:

As to impugning the integrity of AssistThai Visa...

They have been in business for years providing basic visa & legal services (They don’t deal in scam visas like in Pattaya)... I don’t know why they would make this up and say they couldn’t provide a service that they normally in the past would charge a fee for?... 

Edited by sfokevin

3 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Ah.. The elusive or extinct Chiang Mai Combo... :coffee1:

As to impugning the integrity of AssistThai Visa...

They have been in business for years providing basic visa & legal services (They don’t deal in scam visas like in Pattaya)... I don’t know why they would make this up and say they couldn’t provide a service that they normally in the past would charge a fee for?... 

I haven't heard of AssistThai before. Are they an agency?  Maybe they have been around for a long time, but are they just adding to the confusion and scare mongering to drum up business?

I visited my District IM Off today ( in CM Province ) for my 90 day report and asked the question there. As far as the IO's at my local Imm Office know combo method still applies. They have not yet seen/received any written directives from the head of CM Immigration saying otherwise. Also CM Immigration are yet to publish/announce publicly that this is their position now, even though it is in direct contravention of the Police Orders.

Edited by TigerandDog
add extra details
  • Like 1

There are different possibilities, which may vary by office.  Those I see as most likely:

• No combos at all
  • Combos, but with 400K minimum in the bank permanently
  • Combos as they always worked, but with 1/2 of the bank-portion permanently

The last would be what the new rules would imply, but are not clear on.  "No Combos" is definitely not implied by the new-rules - but since when do offices let rules/laws get in their way?

Like i said in an other post.

"It is only a thought, but it may be that here only the countries are meant whose embassy no longer provides Affidavit (US, England, Australia). It is indeed impossible to use the combination method if your embassy no longer delivers Affidavit or other proof of income. But that has been around since the beginning of this year and in all immigration offices. For countries where the embassy is still delivering an Affidavit or other proof of income, the combination may still be possible."

19 hours ago, Thailand said:

A quite reliable source and it is Chiangmai Immigration after all.

Topic already being discussed here:

Now this would be helpful - if it is true and applicable nationally!

14 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I haven't heard of AssistThai before. Are they an agency?

They are a new company that has been around since 2008! Their website needs a slight update and claims a retirement visa can be obtained with A combination of funds in a bank account and a pension. 

Edited by jacko45k

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Some have been left with no choice other than the combo method.

They don't have the required 800K in a Thai bank.

The exchange rate has decreased so much in the last year that whilst they qualified last year, this year their income has dropped below the 65K per month requirement.

• Like 2

Some have been left with no choice other than the combo method.
They don't have the required 800K in a Thai bank.
The exchange rate has decreased so much in the last year that whilst they qualified last year, this year their income has dropped below the 65K per month requirement.
Yes I understand that which means more people being culled for no good reason.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I understand that which means more people being culled for no good reason.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

'Culled' is harsh.

They have to find alternatives and have 3 options. (4 if they get married)

The funds method is pretty clearly stated, as is the income method, but the combo method is ambiguously written and interpreted differently by various offices.

Anyone considering or having no other option than to use the combo method in the future should run through the requirements their individual office applies.

I fail to see how CM can refuse a combination method that's written into their orders, but no doubt they have a criteria to meet. Perhaps the agent mentioned in this thread just doesn't want to submit combo methods due to the complexity of the requirements at CM.