California governor reverses parole board decision on Manson follower

webfact

I'll never know how come or why those virmins mongols Manson and his followers were allowed to breath air for as long as they did, they should have been condemned to death long time ago and certainly and definitely no parole..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'll never know how come or why those virmins mongols Manson and his followers were allowed to breath air for as long as they did, they should have been condemned to death long time ago and certainly and definitely no parole..

You could look it up? They were given the death penalty, but Supreme Court decision negated death penalties until new laws were passed that met requirements. They weren't executed as that would require new trial, double jeopardy and all that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Keeping someone who's 69 years old locked up for a crime they committed when they were 19 is insane any way you look at it. Either don't pussy around when it comes to the death penalty, or release prisoners after they've served two or three decades max. All other aspects aside, how much has this travesty been costing thus far? Incarceration, appeals, parole board hearings, etc. etc. Insane amounts for sure.

I think you hit the nail on the head. How else can you explain a system that keeps people on the death row for decades, if not for the greater good of the lawyers - at the expense of taxpayers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

No idea, I really don't have enough information to determine if she really would be a threat to society. Because that is apparently the issue here.

How unusual you have admitted to not knowing everything....are you unaware that posters here have special powers that turn their opinions into facts?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Keeping someone who's 69 years old locked up for a crime they committed when they were 19 is insane any way you look at it. Either don't pussy around when it comes to the death penalty, or release prisoners after they've served two or three decades max. All other aspects aside, how much has this travesty been costing thus far? Incarceration, appeals, parole board hearings, etc. etc. Insane amounts for sure.

And what about the people who died, can they be resurrected, they paid with their lives, they should have shot this vermin after being found guilty.

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

I hope she lives to 120 And well done that man.

Whats the point of having a parole board then. Dispense with it and the cost of it. Give all parole applications to the mayor.

50 years for a crime when you are 19 is more than enough. You are in jail as punishment, not for punishment. The whole idea of jail is rehabilitation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Whats the point of having a parole board then. Dispense with it and the cost of it. Give all parole applications to the mayor.

50 years for a crime when you are 19 is more than enough. You are in jail as punishment, not for punishment. The whole idea of jail is rehabilitation.

Ok so you would be happy with her living next to you.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Newsom said in a written decision that he was concerned that Leslie Van Houten, who was 19 at the time of the killings, has the potential for future violence.

BS.

If the reason being given for keeping her locked up, is that she is a danger to society, then the governor is talking through his derrière.

At 69, she is not a threat. 

If she is being locked up because of a desire to punish her due to the abhorrent nature of her crime, then grow a pair and say so. 

I might disagree and argue that 50 years is long enough, but I would respect the honesty of your argument and even concede your point has some merit. However, “potential for future violence”... yeah, right. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Caldera said:

As a 19 year old more probably lead by elder members of the family, I agree probably justice has been served but also understand there maybe good reasons not to release her.

It is a sad situation...

10 hours ago, TheHangingJudge said:

10 hours ago, TheHangingJudge said:

No problem at all.

I enjoy seeing the "do gooders" crying for mercy. I agree it's time to re-publish the pictures of those innocent victims slaughtered while Manson's children ran around killing with glee. Putting off death penalties is nothing more than a lawyers cash cow. Review the case with same judge and limit appeals to 2 times.

7 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

at 19 yo, you are an adult. if you don't know bye then killing is bad and against the law, when are you gonna learn that?

More particularly in this case as they were quite happy to kill unknown strangers for no other reason than their 'leader' told them to do so....

Anyone happy to kill complete strangers for no reason at all, need to be locked up for the rest of their lives.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Well she cost a number of people their lives, and they’re never coming back.

I say let her rot.

Just give her a choice. A frontal lobotomy to reduce the risk to society, and she can go free. Or continue to rot in jail.

Age is irrelevant. I'm 76, and if I was homicidally inclined I could knock off quite a few people. You wouldn't see me coming.

Age does make a difference.   So does gender.   I suspect she is pretty unlikely to harm anyone.   She should be released on a tight, controlled probation with an ankle monitor.