Fixed bank account

Expats are the most unprepared bunch.

Houses

Condos

Cars

Motorbikes

Bank accounts

With absolutely no plan when they expire.

They believe their embassy or home country documents will protect them.

Very naive in the end most if not all will go into the Thai coffers laughing all the way.

Very sad.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Expats are the most unprepared bunch.

Houses

Condos

Cars

Motorbikes

Bank accounts

With absolutely no plan when they expire.

They believe their embassy or home country documents will protect them.

Very naive in the end most if not all will go into the Thai coffers laughing all the way.

Very sad.....

Sense of immortality and it won't happen to me, until it does …… then it's too late!

The banks become the automatic beneficiaries by default.

When I had Bangkok Bank fixed accounts in my name only I added my wife via Power of Attorney (POA) which allows her to withdraw funds.  The account is still in my name only for retirement extension of stay purposes, but it just gives the wife access to the funds also.   The bank has the simple bank-specific POA form...you pay a Bt30 govt stamp fee for the POA...paid to the bank.  A new passbook is created where both of you sign on the last page....on that page where the signature(s) can only be seen under a black light.  It's an easy and fast process.  

And just yesterday at my Krungsri branch I also added my wife via POA to my Krungsri Mee Tae Dai account which is in my name only....I been using for my annual extension of stay large deposit (i.e., Bt800).  Once again, complete the very simple bank-specific POA with the wife, they generate a new passbook where both of you sign on the last page where signature(s) can only be seen under the a blacklight...and the Bt30 govt stamp fee.  

Easy process at Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Bank. 

Now for you Bangkok Bank folks with the special Direct Deposit account for US govt payments, as far as I know you can not do a POA on that kind of account...authorize another person to withdraw funds.  That account is just very unique....not to be confused with a fixed or regular savings account.

27 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

^ Could you not post the template please?

It's a bit scrappy in Word format.

I'll try and tidy it up tomorrow and post.

Edit what is and isn't applicable to your situation and circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I have joint accounts and had to both go to the bank to make changes or transfer funds to our fixed term deposit accounts. We requested that the bank (Kasikorn)  allow for either of us to make changes at the bank, which was then approved at head office level. When we actually went to excersize that option the staff made us both sign in order to transfer funds (just because they felt nervous about letting an individial authorise change).