Correcting half-fake news: immigration

26 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I understand that if you have been here for 20 years or more and kept up the requirements since, then the 'grandfathered' deposit is just 200K!

The OP claims that back in the day, the immigration offices were empty and attributes all the problems now to an increase in long term expats.

I've lived here for 20 years and while I accept that there has been an increase in 'longstayers', the reason that immigration offices are so busy now is that 20 years ago, you had just ONE hoop to jump through every year.  Now there are so many hoops that have since been invented that visits to immigration offices have become much more frequent.

When I arrived, I never saw an immigration office for the first year.  90 day reports were almost non-existent as were TM30 and most other 'TM' numbers.

Pretty much turn up at immigration with your passport, say hello, a little 'small talk' and you were good to go!

I seem to remember doing 90 day reports since I got here in 2005.  You didn't? 

15 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I understand that if you have been here for 20 years or more and kept up the requirements since, then the 'grandfathered' deposit is just 200K!

The OP claims that back in the day, the immigration offices were empty and attributes all the problems now to an increase in long term expats.

I've lived here for 20 years and while I accept that there has been an increase in 'longstayers', the reason that immigration offices are so busy now is that 20 years ago, you had just ONE hoop to jump through every year.  Now there are so many hoops that have since been invented that visits to immigration offices have become much more frequent.

When I arrived, I never saw an immigration office for the first year.  90 day reports were almost non-existent as were TM30 and most other 'TM' numbers.

Pretty much turn up at immigration with your passport, say hello, a little 'small talk' and you were good to go!

We obviously don't share the same memories. 

Which kind of visa were you carrying that required to visit the immigration only once a year? 

In the late 90s and early 00s, Pattaya was empty of foreigners from April, post Songkran, to November, when the winter birds were returning. 

There were very few full time residents, and most of those, such as myself, were there all year long for business/work reasons. 

As for the provinces upcountry, Isaan and all, they were empty of foreigners. 

I remember the first day I set foot in my GF's village, in September 1999, the whole population was waiting in order to touch my white skin... 

In Ubon, not exactly a small city, I was often asked by groups of students to pose with them for photos... this lasted until around 2003, give or take a year. 

Today, Ubon has so many foreign residents that a school has been opened to specifically cater to their children. 

Since there is no reason to think that Ubon is a special case, one can imagine that the same goes in most other Thai cities. 

So, obviously the number of foreign residents has grown massively since 2000... why all these international schools and hospitals? They were not there in 2000...I have seen many of them under construction... 

Immigration has not been left aside and has had to deal with a fast increasing number of foreigners. 

They certainly could have done a better job at it, by simplifying the rules, instead of making them more complicated... but have you ever seen Thai electrical wiring, or Thai plumbing? See what I mean... 

Thai immigration deserve all the criticism they get, but again, is all this unfairness towards retirees and tourists not more down to the Thai government, rather than immigration itself?

Who was it that decided to treat us like criminals with all this reporting nonsense which other countries don't do?

I could go on and mention lots of other things, but I think the OP is just one big troll just trying to stir things up with us Thaivisa members.

I am not contributing any more to this topic, except maybe to reply to any sensible posts.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Thai immigration deserve all the criticism they get, but again, is all this unfairness towards retirees and tourists not more down to the Thai government, rather than immigration itself?

Who was it that decided to treat us like criminals with all this reporting nonsense which other countries don't do?

I could go on and mention lots of other things, but I think the OP is just one big troll just trying to stir things up with us Thaivisa members.

I am not contributing any more to this topic, except maybe to reply to any sensible posts.

I don't know anyone who does the reporting nonsense.  They do it online or have our driver do it.  Seems to me you are the one trying to stir things up by griping about all the reporting - I go once a year.  If you want to go more up to you. 

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't know anyone who does the reporting nonsense.  They do it online or have our driver do it.  Seems to me you are the one trying to stir things up by griping about all the reporting - I go once a year.  If you want to go more up to you. 

I said I was only replying to sensible posts, so better you just run along now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1