Correcting half-fake news: immigration

16 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

If Dr. Jack54 really knew Thailand, he would have no trouble finding these kind of vistas.

What the .... I'm with several Thai having dinner right now! None knew where this particular pic is. I travel a LOT in los. It was simple q about this particular snap....geezus.

Next week up to Phu Thap Boek. You been there Mr Thai. Do you know where this pic was taken? 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

More a result of China and India being encouraged to visit IMHO.

Not many white folk at immigration any more.

Every post you make has a left-wing anti-white agenda.

You must really hate yourself.

Actually noticed that today at samut prakan office, the place was packed out as usual but I only noticed about 5 whites. Mostly other Asians including Chinese and Indians.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

Actually noticed that today at samut prakan office, the place was packed out as usual but I only noticed about 5 whites. Mostly other Asians including Chinese and Indians.

Lots of Filipinos around.

Wages in Thailand are about 3x that of the surrounding countries.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Lots of Filipinos around.

Wages in Thailand are about 3x that of the surrounding countries.

True..... Even though I live central bkk. Many cafes etc I go with the gf in tow, she often states..." Not from Thai" . How many Thai are on construction sites etc. Many more from neighbouring Asian countries where pay is less than Thai min.

• Like 1

Compared to the impenetrable fortresses of EU, UK and of course USA. Even a little upstart country like Australia has much more heinous visa restrictions and costs.

Applied yesterday 90-day Schengen visa for my wife.
Application took 2 minutes, picked up her visa today.

Costs: 0.-
Financial proof: none
Healthcare proof: none
Confirmed flights: none
Validity: 4 years

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CLS said:

Applied yesterday 90-day Schengen visa for my wife.
Application took 2 minutes, picked up her visa today.

Costs: 0.-
Financial proof: none
Healthcare proof: none
Confirmed flights: none
Validity: 4 years

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm guessing you hold an EU passport. To add..."your wife".

I'm AU how easy for me to bring Thai gf (living together 7 yr +) to visit Europe. 

So we visit Japan few times a year as Thai get 15 visa exempt. 

My first trip to CM immigration was about 10 years ago, walked in presented the paper work took a seat called up to the front paid the money, take seat 30 min later out the door. went back a year later and the world had changed, get there early, get in line 0600 and this was at the airport office, at 0830 get a number come back 1pm. Go back do the paper work wait for the passport 3pm finished. There has been a huge increase in people applying for extensions, you have people from the middleeast, china, Taiwan, Japan, and the Philippines. They may not all be getting retirement extensions but they take up space and resources. Then add all of the westerns getting retirement extensions with their wives and you have a real interesting hoge poge of people trying to do immigration business. Defiantly more people using the immigration office.

• Like 2

My take on the OP

Not complaining about increasing "costs" at immigration.  They are certainly not decreasing so I don't agree with you saying it's quite the opposite and you even mention they have not changed, so not sure I get the recrimination comment.  Let's read on.

The 800k has in fact changed.  Can't use it for a total of 5-6 months depending and can't ever use 400k. Correct me if I'm wrong.  This is def a not so good change.  Yep, 1900 baht fee the same.

The "official" administrative costs are not constantly rising, but some might say the other costs are.

A mandatory medical insurance for people that don't need it regardless of who it's targeted at is reason for some to push against or whining as you call it.  What is your benefit to complaining about those that speak out against it?  

Let us know what your source at immigration says why they targeted OA visa holders.  

For me I am already insured, medical and dental and get reimbursed and also pay as I go for the small stuff.  My reluctance is it's dumb to pay for something I already have and don't need and def don't want to be forced into their proposed insurance schemes, er scams.  

You're right, it's dangerous here, some people would benefit from some affordable insurance.

40k?  That's quite a few retirement extensions per day.  Good for the economy, maybe why they want 800k tied up in banks with no yield and bloated insurance policies.  

Seems like you're talking about inefficiency in some of these places.  I'd agree with you when you see the mindless paperwork they want to generate.  Even the thai consulate in the US wants 4 copies of everything.  It's a shame they don't have all this on computers.

Not sure why the few members are leaving for better shores.  I know why the ones I've talked to are and it goes beyond immigration costs.  
Good to know thousands more will be replacing us, even more reason to leave.

What thailand could do about that is come up to speed/date and make the system work more efficient???  Carbon paper?  Really?

Immigration/Border Patrol seem to have their hands full for sure with thousands coming across the borders legally and thousands illegally.   But they are not difficult to deal with as long as you are in compliance and aren't trying to bs them.  

We breezed through LAX this year without a problem, lots of smiles and welcome to the US to my gf. 

Took my gf about 4 hours to fill out the online form, I did help explain some of the questions.  Not sure how much time she spent getting the other stuff.  I think it was $65?  The trip to the US Consulate was about a 1-2 hour deal.  10 year B2 visa approved for multiple entries up to 6 months each.  

People might complain because they make the changes difficult to comply with because of lack of consistency/continuity and transparency across the region.  In small part because the applicants are increasing, but more so because they are so inefficient.  Admittedly some people just can't seem to figure out how to come prepared.    
Maybe this is why the legend goes of why they like visa agents or maybe it's the tips from them, I don't know.

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TaoNow said:

If Dr. Jack54 really knew Thailand, he would have no trouble finding these kind of vistas.

So may we safely take this fatuous comment as meaning that you see your main role in life as being chief organiser of Thaivisa's "Spot The Vista" competition?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're right. When I moved to Thailand, you could hardly see any foreigners in Sisaket. There were only a few. 

Now you can see people from all over the world in your province of choice, trying to stay here permanently.  

Edited by Isaanbiker

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm guessing you hold an EU passport. To add..."your wife".

I'm AU how easy for me to bring Thai gf (living together 7 yr +) to visit Europe. 

So we visit Japan few times a year as Thai get 15 visa exempt. 

I can certainly back this up - been married since 2006 (same wife ????) but last time I applied for a Schengen visa I was informed they would not even accept my application if I wanted my wife to accompany me, on a 2 week business visit...

...Australia is much worse for a South African passport holder, though - even with 3 (Aus citizen) kids and 5 grandkids. See my bitching in the 'other country visas' forum if you want details. ????

Paranoia rules in todays right wing world.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What the .... I'm with several Thai having dinner right now! None knew where this particular pic is. I travel a LOT in los. It was simple q about this particular snap....geezus.

Next week up to Phu Thap Boek. You been there Mr Thai. Do you know where this pic was taken? 

Hmm the clue may be in the name. Best to just add sad posers to the ignore list - not worth an answer.

18 hours ago, Thaidream said:

In regards to the 65K each month income method- if one transfers the funds from abroad-there are fees associated with this; there are visits to update the bank book each month and there will be visits to the bank to secure bank letters and get the bank to generate a proper letter.  All in all with transfers and bank visits you can add on another $500 per year.

Transferwise costs me £10.20 a month to send Bht 65,000. Updating the bank book is the Bangkok Bank in Tesco, and the bank letters are Bht 100 once a year.

9 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Immigration is a BUSINESS - the more people arriving - the more money the country makes. This is especially true for those arriving from developed nations often bringing with them large sums of money.

People queuing up at immigration offices has one and only one direct cause - THE COMPLEXITY OF IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES - If Thailand eased up on tourists and allowed 90-day visa exempt entries instead of the current short 30-day exemptions it would literally eliminate the need for the extension section. Of course the extension section is a business too which generates good money - if they grant 500 requests a day at 1900 baht each that's almost a million baht a day.

If immigration eliminated TM30 and 90-day reports - it'd eliminate the need for people to come complete these pointless procedures. Of course that would also limit the cash cow that is charging people fines for failing to complete TM30.

It's quite funny that you compare Thai immigration which largely deals with people who bring money into Thailand with refugees who comes to developed countries because they believe they can take money from the country (either by working illegally or by leeching on welfare). The complete opposite situation...

I agree that there are many unnecessary complexities, starting with the 90 day report. 

Also at the airports things could go much faster if, as is done in other countries, the immigration was pre-checking the passenger lists and spotting targeted foreigners before they were landing... instead of going through all the pages of all the passports of all the passengers. 

More than once, when landing in Paris, we got a message inside the plane saying that the immigration was waiting outside in front of the plane door... where they were expecting a passenger who had been flagged, while the others were able to breeze through. 

Same in Zurich, Singapore and so on. 

My comparison with refugees is just about how it looks like, not about the state of mind of those quite different crowds... 

Having said that, not all foreigners want to stay in Thailand in order to bring money to the country... if only... 

53 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Standard procedure for spouses of Schengen country citizens. Note that the post you quoted didn't say "no required paperwork", you obviously need to present marriage papers. No financials and etc. however, as correctly stated there.

Same question as wgdanson, which consulate? 

I can guarantee it is not the French consulate where requirements, as of today, are:

- proof of income or enough funds on bank book

- proof of address in France (invitation letter from a French resident) 

- health insurance covering specified amounts

- proof of plane ticket booking

- about 100 euros for the visa

- a truckload of paperwork, including ID photos which must be taken in a very specific way (3 pages of examples to show the applicants what is required) 

- an appointment that must be taken weeks in advance, in order to make the application

- no way that you can get the passport with the visa back the next day... the next week if you are lucky... 

• Like 1

Please tell us how you got a Schengen Visa for free with no required paperwork. Please! For which country, where did you go for it, VFS or Embassy.

Schengen Spouse visa are free for all Schengen countries citizens. Applied directly at the embassy.

Needed documents: proof of marriage registration in your home country, 2 copies of passport photo page, 2 passport size photos, Visa Application form

Visa Fee: 0.-
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Immigration has always been fair and square to me, no remarks on my part, yet having a day or two out in a National Park with your spouse and our kids, paying multiple entry fees just because we look different is ridiculous, as paying for treatment where a special foreigners bill is awaiting us. Besides that issue i wouldn't change this place for anything in the world!

I've only been here 2.5 years so I can't comment on historical trends. But here are a few observations

The insurance requirement has yet to be implemented and when it does it will apply to people applying for an O-A visa in their home country. It does not apply to people staying in Thailand on yearly extensions. People can speculate about the future requirements all they want.

From what I understand, many immigration laws have not changed but enforcement has definitely changed. That has had a real impact on the immigration process whether at the airports or the immigration offices. Also, with the enhanced enforcement there is inconsistency from office to office.

The financial requirements for yearly extensions is an actual change and is an increased financial burden either directly or indirectly. People are reluctant to bank 800,000 baht because it represents a real lost of investment income from accounts outside of Thailand and to some people who just don't have confidence in the Thai banking system. The new monthly income requirements are complicated, more expensive (transfer fees), and inconsistently interpreted from office to office. Plus for many people living outside of Bangkok and/or own their condo/house the amounts are excessive.

Some reporting requirements would be better if they could be done online. 90-day reporting and TM30's. The existing online apps seem to not be well designed. Thailand as a whole seems to be behind the west in the quality and pervasiveness of online apps. I see improvements but there is a long ways to go.

Personally, I keep 800,000 baht in the bank year round. The only change in the yearly extension process that I see for myself is the TM30 requirement and I already have that. I did a 90-day report a couple of days ago in Bangkok. It took me 2 hours. The time before that it took 20 minutes. It varys a little up and down in my experience. In any case, every time I've interacted with immigration in BKK the officers have been working very hard, were competent, and helped me when I need help. I guess I've been lucky in that regard. As a retiree it is not much of a burden to go to CW a few time a year. Also, I see small improvements in the process each time I go to CW so somebody is thinking about making some things better.

I realize others have different experiences, time availability, and standards. The first time I am severely inconvenienced by the system I suppose I will have a less positive view.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Same question as wgdanson, which consulate? 

I can guarantee it is not the French consulate where requirements, as of today, are:

- proof of income or enough funds on bank book

- proof of address in France (invitation letter from a French resident) 

- health insurance covering specified amounts

- proof of plane ticket booking

- about 100 euros for the visa

- a truckload of paperwork, including ID photos which must be taken in a very specific way (3 pages of examples to show the applicants what is required) 

- an appointment that must be taken weeks in advance, in order to make the application

- no way that you can get the passport with the visa back the next day... the next week if you are lucky... 

Your list cannot be correct for the reason alone that you mentioned a fee. Spouses of Schengen country citizens DO NOT pay a fee for a Schengen visa. Your list looks like the list of requirements for a Thai girlfriend (i.e. someone not, or not yet, married to a citizen), especially the invitation letter.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Your list cannot be correct for the reason alone that you mentioned a fee. Spouses of Schengen country citizens DO NOT pay a fee for a Schengen visa. Your list looks like the list of requirements for a Thai girlfriend (i.e. someone not, or not yet, married to a citizen), especially the invitation letter.

The French consulate doesn't make a difference according to the personal situation of each applicant. 

In the form, which I have completed, this situation (married, not married or else) is not mentioned. 

Having said that, you are not saying where your "no questions, no hassles" application was made... which Schengen country???

On 6/6/2019 at 9:24 AM, BritManToo said:

Because we're not American, so haven't been ripped off by our government all our lives, and Thai government hospital charges are very reasonable. I'm OK with accident insurance, but not forced health insurance with bogus outpatient charges.

I would say there's way less white men here than there were 10 years back when you could buy a 1 year VISA from your home country for 120 pounds, then continue to stay here on monthly VISA hops, forever. In those days I had a big crowd of drinking buddies in CM, now they've all gone.

You're not correcting anything, you're just advancing your 'Thailand is a wonderful place' agenda. I have no reason why you have such an agenda as it clearly isn't honest or truthful.

I live in Pathumthani. Considerably more "white" foreigners here now than 10 years ago, noticeably so.

No one is forcing you to take out insurance, yet. It's aimed at those using OA visas obtained outside Thailand. 

Does the UK allow people to obtain a 1 year visa and then nip out monthly and come back for ever? Or any other developed country?

Thailand is a wonderful place. The positives far outweigh the negatives. Which is why I stay here, with my family and plan for their future. If you don't like it here the door's open..................................... or continue to stay and moan.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2