Exclusive: Facebook suspends app pre-installs on Huawei phones

snoop1130

Exclusive: Facebook suspends app pre-installs on Huawei phones

By Katie Paul

800x800.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Huawei P30 handset is displayed in a phone shop at a shopping centre in Bangkok, Thailand May 22, 2019. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun/File Photo

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Facebook Inc is no longer allowing pre-installation of its apps on Huawei phones, the latest blow for the Chinese tech giant as it struggles to keep its business afloat in the face of a U.S. ban on its purchase of American parts and software.

Customers who already have Huawei phones will still be able to use its apps and receive updates, Facebook told Reuters. But new Huawei phones will no longer be able to have Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram apps pre-installed.

Smartphone vendors often enter business deals to pre-install popular apps such as Facebook. Apps including Twitter and Booking.com also come pre-installed on Huawei phones in many markets. Twitter Inc declined to comment and Booking Holdings did not respond to a request.

The move by Facebook dampens the sales outlook for Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, whose smartphone business became its biggest revenue generator last year, powered by strong growth in Europe and Asia.

Huawei declined to comment.

Alphabet Inc's Google said earlier that it would no longer provide Android software for Huawei phones after a 90-day reprieve granted by the U.S. government expires in August. But Google's Playstore and all Google apps will still be available for current models of Huawei phones including those which have not yet shipped or even been built.

The Facebook ban, by contrast, applies to any Huawei phone that has not yet left the factory, according to a person familiar with the matter. Facebook declined to comment on when the suspension took place.

In May, Washington banned U.S. companies from supplying technology to Huawei, part of a long-running campaign against the company. The United States alleges that Huawei is too close to the Chinese government and that its telecom network gear and other products could be a conduit for espionage, which Huawei denies.

Buyers of current Huawei phone models that do not have Facebook pre-installed would still be able to download it from the Google Playstore. Future versions of Huawei phones, however, will not have access to the Google Playstore and its apps unless the U.S. government changes course.

Huawei has said it was prepared for the U.S. action and vowed to work around any disruptions. But some customers at stores in Europe and Asia have told Reuters that they are reluctant to buy Huawei phones in the face of uncertainties, and analysts expect a dramatic drop in Huawei smartphone sales.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-07

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You think Thai people can't install the facebook themselves?  Not really complicated.  Or maybe you didn't read, Preinstall.

Adding sarcasm alert to my post...surprised I have to, but there you go. 

Though the article does go onto say

Buyers of current Huawei phone models that do not have Facebook pre-installed would still be able to download it from the Google Playstore. Future versions of Huawei phones, however, will not have access to the Google Playstore and its apps unless the U.S. government changes course.

So it might well be a game changer...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Adding sarcasm alert to my post...surprised I have to, but there you go. 

Though the article does go onto say

Buyers of current Huawei phone models that do not have Facebook pre-installed would still be able to download it from the Google Playstore. Future versions of Huawei phones, however, will not have access to the Google Playstore and its apps unless the U.S. government changes course.

So it might well be a game changer...

Downloading with an apk is certainly not difficult and would not make anything a game changer. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Downloading with an apk is certainly not difficult and would not make anything a game changer. 

As long as it remains possible to do so. 

Could well cause many to ponder other options...

For me, it’s a plus, can’t stand zuckerberg’s monster. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

As long as it remains possible to do so. 

Could well cause many to ponder other options...

For me, it’s a plus, can’t stand zuckerberg’s monster. 

I have had to download apps because google Playstore did not have them on both my android phone and my Sony TV which will use many apps not available on Google play store.  It does not seem to hurt Sony and I fail to see why it would be a game changer for Huawei.  I think it would be good for the world of smart phones and TV's to have a choice.  I realize you probably have never done this but really it's not difficult.  I like Facebook Messenger and use it to video call friends and family all over the world daily as do a billion other people.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have had to download apps because google Playstore did not have them on both my android phone and my Sony TV which will use many apps not available on Google play store.  It does not seem to hurt Sony and I fail to see why it would be a game changer for Huawei.  I think it would be good for the world of smart phones and TV's to have a choice.  I realize you probably have never done this but really it's not difficult.  I like Facebook Messenger and use it to video call friends and family all over the world daily as do a billion other people.  

Thank you for the condescending attitude in your penultimate sentence. Much appreciated. 

The article below explains in simple simple terms why this could be a game changer if Huawei loses access to google play store as is possible (is aimed at South Africa users but principle is the same). All these moves forced by trump’s trade war can definitely hurt Huawei. They may find solutions in the long term but right now, it is not looking good for Huawei in the short term. 

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/facebook-huawei-phone-ban-preinstall-what-it-means-for-your-phone-2019-6

plus

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1T80D7

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

It is a game changer because most people are stupid and lazy. Yes, you and I can easily side load an app, but majority of the world isn't that capable. Huawei can certainly do things to make the process easier still, but any kind of inconvenience is going to have a huge impact on sales. Average consumer is just going to say, "screw it, I'll just buy a Samsung instead."

Edited by usviphotography
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

models that do not have Facebook pre-installed would still be able to download it from the Google Playstore.

Can't one also download directly from Facebook website and various search engine websites?

Playstore is just a convenience and allegedly provides security in apps it offers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Can't one also download directly from Facebook website and various search engine websites?

Playstore is just a convenience and allegedly provides security in apps it offers.

One of the articles I posted earlier highlights some of the problems around doing so.

Nothing impossible but probably enough to put people off and make huawei less attractive an option. 

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/facebook-huawei-phone-ban-preinstall-what-it-means-for-your-phone-2019-6

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

huawei less attractive an option

Therein part of the basis for Huawei's lawsuit against the U.S. government - preventing Huawei from operating in an open market. https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/06/tech/huawei-suing-united-states/index.html

Maybe ask for $100 million in compensation and $1 trillion in punitive damages?

Also request a restraining order to either prevent the ban or limit it to federal purchase only. Huawei has been installing 5g networks in rural areas for small carriers. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/technology/huawei-rural-wireless-service.html

My Huawei phone is the best phone I've ever had.  It's fast, reliable, has a great battery life, good camera, etc.. 

Given Huawei's technical expertise, it would fairly easy for them to produce a good new OS, possibly Linux based, and go head-to-head with Google.  Any browser can give them access to Facebook, gmail, Google Drive, etc., and they could create a new APstore by giving incentives to third-party developers.

This whole mess could really backfire on Google and Facebook, by creating a real rival and opening the market up to a new OS.

Edited by otherstuff1957
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Therein part of the basis for Huawei's lawsuit against the U.S. government - preventing Huawei from operating in an open market. https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/06/tech/huawei-suing-united-states/index.html

Maybe ask for $100 million in compensation and $1 trillion in punitive damages?

Also request a restraining order to either prevent the ban or limit it to federal purchase only. Huawei has been installing 5g networks in rural areas for small carriers. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/technology/huawei-rural-wireless-service.html

Never said I agreed with the move by google or zuckerberg’s monster. 

20 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nothing impossible but probably enough to put people off and make huawei less attractive an option

I'm not a techie but understand that one might be able to "sideload" latest versions of apps, thus avoiding any app block. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/398923/how-to-download-apps-that-are-no-longer-in-your-phones-app-store/

https://www.howtogeek.com/313433/how-to-sideload-apps-on-android/

5 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I'm not a techie but understand that one might be able to "sideload" latest versions of apps, thus avoiding any app block. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/398923/how-to-download-apps-that-are-no-longer-in-your-phones-app-store/

https://www.howtogeek.com/313433/how-to-sideload-apps-on-android/

The article I posted pointed out this was possible and just required a little effort.

There are some potential dangers, regarding tracking down safe versions and turning off security features on phones. 

My point is that alone is too much hassle for a lot of people. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Personally this 'trade war' thing is probably a good thing.  It's going to shake up the status quo, and the status quo desperately needs a good shaking.  
Some people believe that the US will be "The Winner" but in the short and medium term that are going to be a lot of pain including in the Exceptional Nation. 
At the end of the road?  You'll find a multipolar world where globalism is a thing of the past and trading is strong within geographical regions that align for mutual benefit as opposed to single super-powers sucking that life out of the world.  And those regional entities who have hard resources as oppose to massive debt will probably fare the best.

Well, that's if there isn't a thermo-nuclear war.  Could happen.  WWIII ain't gonna be troops in trenches or tank warfare - it will go to nukes.  Then all bets are off.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The article I posted pointed out this was possible and just required a little effort.

There are some potential dangers, regarding tracking down safe versions and turning off security features on phones. 

My point is that alone is too much hassle for a lot of people. 

These are really trivial problems. Using a recognized apk-distributing app such as Aptoide or ApkPure is just as easy as using the Google PlayStore. I'm not sure about ApkPure but Aptoide checks the apk files it hosts and marks them with a green shield icon to show that they're virus-free. Don't download any that don't have this icon.

Of course you should always have your own anti-virus software on your device as well, which will provide a second line of defence and check the apk files again before you install, just in case. You also don't have to turn off "security features" (plural) - just one, very easy to find and very simple setting. You can make it either a one-time only change that you never need to do again - or you can toggle it back and forth whenever you need it, if you prefer.

36 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

These are really trivial problems. Using a recognized apk-distributing app such as Aptoide or ApkPure is just as easy as using the Google PlayStore. I'm not sure about ApkPure but Aptoide checks the apk files it hosts and marks them with a green shield icon to show that they're virus-free. Don't download any that don't have this icon.

Of course you should always have your own anti-virus software on your device as well, which will provide a second line of defence and check the apk files again before you install, just in case. You also don't have to turn off "security features" (plural) - just one, very easy to find and very simple setting. You can make it either a one-time only change that you never need to do again - or you can toggle it back and forth whenever you need it, if you prefer.

Give that pitch to the average consumer and they will cut you off and tell you they'll just buy a Samsung instead probably right after you say the words "apk-distrubuting app". There is a reason being denied access to the Play or Itunes Store is so financially  crippling to an app maker. This is the way 99% of users download their apps. You don't properly appreciate the impact even minimal barriers have on sales. This is why "one click purchasing" is so important. Do you realize you incur a 30% reduction in sales simply by requiring users to enter in their own credit card information? Yes it is trivial, but even trivial barriers translate have enormous impacts when it comes to sales. Mobile Phone market is insanely competitive. I'm sure Huawei will probably come up with their own preloaded app that actually makes the process of side loading an app even easier and they might even buy or create their own official apk-distribution store tied to it, but it will still put an enormous stain on their brand with consumers. 

Not to mention if the US is willing to do this, what other measures might they take to screw with Huawei's business in the future? Huawei makes excellent phones (and laptops), I agree. But there are a lot of other companies that make phones that are just as good that don't come with these annoyances and problems related to the US-China Trade War. Consumers take the path of least resistance. Outside China especially, this is going to hurt Huawei's sales tremendously.  

Edited by usviphotography
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I know it’s not difficult. 

I also know it will still be too much hassle for a lot of people who just want it good to go. 

25 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

Give that pitch to the average consumer and they will cut you off and tell you they'll just buy a Samsung instead probably right after you say the words "apk-distrubuting app".

That's why I wouldn't use that terminology with an "average consumer." I'd say something along the lines of:

1. Install Aptoide (and I'd give them a link for it).

2. Go to Settings; Security and click the slider for "Installation from Unknown Sources." At the warning message, click OK.

I think even the so-called "average consumer" could handle that.