Extending Visa Hotel Bill Unpaid

After a recent stay in Southern Thailand my wallet with my debit card was stolen. I called my bank to cancel the card and was told they don't express ship to Thailand so I have to wait on it to be mailed first class which can take up to 30 days from the US. I alerted the hotel I was staying at the next day to get their address so I could have it mailed there. But since I couldn't extent my stay or pay the extra week I had already stayed (was told to settle bill at check out) I was stuck without a card and since I don't have family really have a back up. I had a few travelers checks and was able to send myself a $100 western union using a prepaid card I had left a little money on. I was stuck with a crappy choice. Use my $250 in travelers checks to pay the hotel bill and then starve until my card arrived or hop over to Phuket and stay in a acquaintance's homestay and pay him the $250 for room and meals for a month. I chose the later. I have no intention of stiffing the hotel in Krabi since I do have money and have my card being sent there. The owner has told me he alerted immigration. Which I am fine with seeing as he doesn't know me from a random on the street. But my visa expires in a week and I will need to get it extended with the small amount of cash I have left at my disposal. Will I run into an issue extending while being on this watchlist? I'm not trying to leave the country. Only "buy" myself more time here to clear up this situation. Unfortunately my backup sorce "prepaid card" wasnt sufficient to cover all of this. Next time I know to put away at least $1,000. I had no idea my bank would be able to send me a card via fedex or something. 

Edited by WorldWunder
  • Like 1

You have spoken to your bank, assuming they know you personally, and by sending a copy of your passport, a written request (even without internet banking) they should be able to send some money onwards to you. Alternatively, give them authorization to top up the prepaid card from your account. 

Edited by bigginhill

I have online banking. But not the ability to wire money overseas. To add that you have to go into a branch. None of these responses answer my initial question. I have contacted my bank numerous times and the only option available was to mail the card.

Yes did a police report. The prepaid card can only be topped up via cash at a walmart location or paypass supporting merchant or via a western union in store (US only). I've thought of every other option to no avail.

TV = Thai Visa - The forum you are on now......

not TELEVISION .....

Sorry had no idea thats what you meant how would I go about that. Brand new to posting here.

Edited by WorldWunder
Added information to reduce multiple postings

I have a  prepaid visa card and they will replace in anywhere in the world in 24-48 hours.

I also have some ethererem that can be changed  almost anywhere with https://localethereum.com

Also agonda.com account attached to my bank accounts, so i could at least have somewhere to stay and probably the owner would advance me some cash that way.

As for you situation, don't you have a friend to western union some cash to you?

I don't think immigration cares btw.

Your embassy will probably help you.

13 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

I have a  prepaid visa card and they will replace in anywhere in the world in 24-48 hours.

I also have some ethererem that can be changed  almost anywhere with https://localethereum.com

Also agonda.com account attached to my bank accounts, so i could at least have somewhere to stay and probably the owner would advance me some cash that way.

As for you situation, don't you have a friend to western union some cash to you?

I don't think immigration cares btw.

Your embassy will probably help you.

My netspend card would do that as well. Only issue is thats not my BANK. I use a credit union I've had since my Army days. Didn't see a reason to change until now. They recently changed their policies to exclude expedite shipping international to anywhere other than Europe and North/Central american countries due to increased shipping costs (according to them). I would buy bitcoin or something but you need a physical card for all the verification (provide them with photos and stuff). No I don't have any friends I can call up and ask. Due to the nature of my previous job I was pretty isolated. Hence the no facebook.

What do you mean immigration doesn't care? As in they will let me extend regardless of the hotel alerting them to unpaid bill?

What do you mean by help at the embassy?

2 minutes ago, WorldWunder said:

What do you mean immigration doesn't care? As in they will let me extend regardless of the hotel alerting them to unpaid bill?

Surely if you've absconded to Phuket without paying a previous hotel bill its a police matter if the hotel owner wants to follow it up?

7 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Surely if you've absconded to Phuket without paying a previous hotel bill its a police matter if the hotel owner wants to follow it up?

I've been in constant contact with the hotel owner and police aren't involved. Just his contact at immigration to ensure I don't skip the country. Keeping my hope alive that my actual question gets answered.........

What do you mean by help at the embassy?

------------

As far as i know the issue with your hotel is a civil matter. Most hotels i know in Thailand ask for everyday upfront, is probably the reason.

--------

If you contact your embassy and tell them you situ, that you have no cash they will probably loan you $500 or so.

----------

Edited by Don Chance

12 minutes ago, WorldWunder said:

I've been in constant contact with the hotel owner and police aren't involved. Just his contact at immigration to ensure I don't skip the country. Keeping my hope alive that my actual question gets answered.........

"Will I run into an issue extending while being on this watchlist"

maybe no-one knows. Seems your ok with it. Others were suggesting that you could have been taken off the watchlist by suggesting ways of paying, which by the way is a solution. 

Your online banking does not let you do international bank drafts? With a swift code or iban? The person who your renting from has no account to which you can send the money?

Edited by bigginhill

4 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

As far as i know the issue with your hotel is a civil matter. Most hotels i know in Thailand ask for everyday upfront, is probably the reason.

From what i've been told this would effect me leaving from the airport so I assumed that since its the same agency that handles extentions that it would effect those too.

5 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

If you contact your embassy and tell them you situ, that you have no cash they will probably loan you $500 or so.

I know the US embassy helps with facilitating transfers. Like if a family member wants to send money. They charge $30 to set up and account and then they give you the cash in local currency. like a government western union only more expensive for smaller amounts. Not sure about an emergency loan though...

Just to clarify one of the comments above, for some hotels at least, Agoda lets you pay in advance by Paypal, which gives you the option of direct debit from your bank account. Maybe too late to use this time, but useful knowledge for the future.

4 minutes ago, bigginhill said:

maybe no-one knows. Seems your ok with it. Others were suggesting that you could have been taken off the watchlist by suggesting ways of paying, which by the way is a solution. 

Your online banking does not let you do international bank drafts? With a swift code or iban? The person who your renting from has no account to which you can send the money?

I've discussed alternative payment methods with him. But since my bank wont initial wires over the phone due to arcane fraud protection measures the only alternative was the mailing of my card via standard post. Even that took 7 levels of hell/verification. I have his account info. I will use it to pay the cash once I have it. That way I have a bank slip to show immigration.

1 minute ago, taxout said:

Just to clarify one of the comments above, for some hotels at least, Agoda lets you pay in advance by Paypal, which gives you the option of direct debit from your bank account. Maybe too late to use this time, but useful knowledge for the future.

Also you can pay send a friend with a paypal account sums of money. Someone you know where you are now maybe. 

8 minutes ago, taxout said:

If you have a paypal account you can also send money to a friend who has a paypal account, who could then give u the cash. Do you have one? Does anyone with you have or can sign up for one ? A trusted shop maybe that has one? 

Sorry double post

Edited by bigginhill

1 minute ago, bigginhill said:

If you have a paypal account you can also send money to a friend who has a paypal account, who could then give u the cash. Do you have one? Does anyone with you have or can sign up for one ? A trusted shop maybe that has one? 

Sorry double post

Reached out to those I know. And a bank transfer takes a few days. Not like I could do it with a debit card....

1 minute ago, WorldWunder said:

Reached out to those I know. And a bank transfer takes a few days. Not like I could do it with a debit card....

I just did a transfer of 15000aud to Thai bank using OFX. Was in my Thai bank overnight. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Easy solution if indeed this thread is credible. You have family/friends in own country surely. Do a transfer to anyone with bank account Thailand. Use OFX or transfer wise. 

As has been mentioned earlier, if I had family or friends who I knew that could do that I would have used them. I offered transferwise or WU via bank account but he said no. Only cash payments like a wire or branch cash deposit.

7 minutes ago, WorldWunder said:

So do you have paypal???

Find someone else who has it, get their email and logon online to paypal, put in the email of other person who has paypal and the money is transferred. And get them to give u the cash. 

Good luck, hope all goes well. 

Edited by bigginhill

I've gotten enough unsolicited money movement advice. The bill  will be paid. That's not the issue. My question is ONLY about extending my visa at immigration BEFORE the hotel owner has lifted the watch. I don't want to have to pay a large overstay fine if my card takes another 2 weeks to arrive.