Static voltage stabilizer v Servo motor type.

farmerjo

As most know trying to beef up the power a bit at the end of the line.

Would like some input on which is the better type unit and cost difference and reliability.

Looking at an outdoor unit on the last pole into house on meter side.(after meter.)

Also if the PEA has one after the transfomer(not sure but looks like one) can it still work effectively.

Post a photo of the PEA box, so we can try to identify what it is.

As to a solution for your problem.

Task a. - Identify the problem.

• If the voltage is low but reasonably stable - static type (manually variable)
  • If the voltage varies over a wide range (ours can be 170-230V) then you need the automatic type.

You can see the costs of the auto type in my AVR thread, static units will be rather cheaper of course but I have no idea how much.

Also consider what you want to put on the load side of the AVR. IMHO simple heating loads (water heaters) are just wasting AVR capacity, put them on the unregulated side.

I would do everything practical with fatter feed wires (or doubling up existing) before starting the AVR journey.

Hi Crossy,

Have some local sparkys coming to give quote on running the extra cables.

The pic of box on PEA line.

And a pic of the static IGBT technology which i think is auto without a servo motor?

20190609_110730.jpg

pwm-igbt-static-voltage-stabilizers-500x500.jpg

Hmm, are you sure that box belongs to PEA?

Apart from being a nesting box it looks more comms related. What's on tho pole just out of shot?

The IGBT regulator looks interesting, have to look in to that.

IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) is a modern power device found in large inverters and the like.

Would recommend against an outdoor install for an IGBT based unit; without some impedance you are likely to burn it up with capacitor switching spikes on the utility side.  The IGBTs will also have some energy losses (unless it has a contactor bypass), but only about 2-3%. Heat can also be an issue.

They do work well for isolated loads inside though. 

Transformer based (manual and automatic) regulators are very mature and very robust technology. The transformer itself (but not necessarily the control electronics) is pretty much immune to anything apart from a direct lightning strike.

IGBT regulators are much newer and, using power semiconductors, are rather more susceptible to mains borne nasties (and when they do fail it's with a nice satisfactory bang). At the present time I would suggest that if you need a regulator then you are likely in an area where surges and the like are common.

But I'm a Luddite when it comes to bleeding-edge tech.

Archived