My monthly expenses/payments as a family man living in Thailand

HNWI

18 minutes ago, HNWI said:

I'm anonymous. I wanted to see how messed up peoples mindsets are.  Seems alot of hatred or disbelief because other peoples wealth makes people feel uncomfortable with there own situation.  

A lot of hatred because of other peoples' wealth?

Makes people feel uncomfortable with their own situation?

Wealthy people do not come up with such numbers on an anonymous forum, they just spend what they want. Comprente? 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno how you can spend 20k on electric?

Unless you have a 140m2+ condo with the aircon on 24/7?

We pay 48k for a 2 bed in a serviced apartment (long stay - so got a good deal) and pay 5k a month electric last month as it was hot (on 12hours all night every night, plus most of the day if I am about)

Mrs mortgage is 40k a month.

You're spending 129k a month on car repayments? Surely if you're such a financial whizz it would be cheaper and more cost effective to hire a driver and car? Unless, there is a tax deal/lease going on here?

RAZZ

48 minutes ago, HNWI said:

That's a funny sitcom, but I'm posting anonymously, so I'm not doing this post for ego reasons. 

please enlightened us, for what other reason(s) are you posting,

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

Whatever his reason, it certainly backfired on him. ????

And of course...no ego involved with the screen name “HNWI”

My highest electric bin  was the last one when the wife's ma , pa and brother were here , 1,123 B.

Live in a house we built , car , bikes paid for.  Living right now on 21,000B per month thanks to the high B and blasted brexit and Mrs Maybe. Other end of the spectrum .

9 minutes ago, HNWI said:

I have good debt for business and investments.

Lots of people claim wealthy people must be doing something illegal, they dont understand the work, leverage and balls it takes.

Only 3 people in real life know my income and net worth.  They are far up the ladder to me. I don't talk about it due to jealousy and making people feel bad.

Also, I said 200-300k a month in investments, but you said no apparent wealth in my post? It was a list of expenses, not bragging about assets or net worth.

Well often people in Thailand are doing something illegal, not everywhere, but here if you are throwing around big money and driving whatever kind of car you are driving ....boiler room or something would be quite possible.  However your piddly investments is nothing compared to your debt, your ridiculous car payment and the fact that you seem to own nothing yet consider yourself wealthy.  You should at least pay cash for your car...do you have a loan for your Rolex too???

29 minutes ago, HNWI said:

I'm anonymous. I wanted to see how messed up peoples mindsets are.  Seems alot of hatred or disbelief because other peoples wealth makes people feel uncomfortable with there own situation.  

No.

You are posting ridiculous figures which do not impress anybody.

I know a couple of self made millionaires in GBP.

They are not show offs, keep themselves below the radar, are very generous with friends and family, yet do NOT fly First Class, Economy is fine, and do NOT like to waste money ie on ridiculous expenses ie your rent and vehicle finance figures.

Yeah they have a nice motor and a nice gaff (home), but they sure don't advertise it on a forum.

Jeez...

Would you tell us what you make every month?  

Are your "investments" at 200,000 - 300,000 baht per month what you are bringing in? 

Even so - you are spending more than 250,000 baht a month as a rough estimate. 

No health insurance is russian roulette unless you have 1-2 million baht in the bank

22 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

My highest electric bin  was the last one when the wife's ma , pa and brother were here , 1,123 B.

Live in a house we built , car , bikes paid for.  Living right now on 21,000B per month thanks to the high B and blasted brexit and Mrs Maybe. Other end of the spectrum .

Wow, my fish pond and swimming pool use more than that for lecky.

7 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Are your "investments" at 200,000 - 300,000 baht per month what you are bringing in? 

No health insurance is russian roulette unless you have 1-2 million baht in the bank

Let me help you, he is at at least 800k baht a month with his list but has many other expenses which makes sense since most living costs are not even on this list.

OK, here goes .......

Rent : 0 (built the house, so paid for)

Electric : 900 baht (hot season 1,600 aircon)

Part-time maid : 0 (wife and I clean our own home, ye lazy sod ???? )

Uni, 1 son :  3,000 school fees (9.000 per semester (so that's 3000 a month) rent : 1,500, Leccy and food etc 6,000 a month)

Total per month : 10,000

Mortgage : 0

Car payments : truck and car paid for. Ins about 500 a month

Loans : none

Investments : property in UK paid for.

Eating out : 500 a month

Internet : 600 a month

Total about 12,000 give or take. Once son graduates, take 10,000 off. Monthly food, beer etc bout 8,000 a month.

Forgot health : pay into the gov scheme, here so 500 a month, so covered. 1,000 baht od dental care annually included in that)

So wen son gets a job, total outgoings will be around : 10 - 12,000 and we don't scrimp. Buy what we want, when we want it. Country life. ????

A good "expat live in" Bangkok work package, allowance for rent is B150k a month, electric paid, average for company I worked for was B28k a month, so figures are quite believable, school is same as what a friend pays. I would guess that the OP is not a money manager as paying B129k a month for a car makes no sense at all!

53 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

A lot of hatred because of other peoples' wealth?

Makes people feel uncomfortable with their own situation?

Wealthy people do not come up with such numbers on an anonymous forum, they just spend what they want. Comprente? 

I do spend what I want and I do keep it private.

51 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Dunno how you can spend 20k on electric?

Unless you have a 140m2+ condo with the aircon on 24/7?

We pay 48k for a 2 bed in a serviced apartment (long stay - so got a good deal) and pay 5k a month electric last month as it was hot (on 12hours all night every night, plus most of the day if I am about)

Mrs mortgage is 40k a month.

You're spending 129k a month on car repayments? Surely if you're such a financial whizz it would be cheaper and more cost effective to hire a driver and car? Unless, there is a tax deal/lease going on here?

RAZZ

My house has over 200 internal lights, 30 external lights and normally 3-4 aircon running all day.

I love cars,  I have always loved them. I can invest that money of course, financially it was a bad decision buying it but we only live once. I only need a nice car, I don't have much else I spend money on.

52 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I'm not sure why I bothered but it's 

exposed a few peoples mindsets.

51 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Whatever his reason, it certainly backfired on him. ????

And of course...no ego involved with the screen name “HNWI”

Nothing has backfired.

50 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Thanks for sharing.  Despite it looking like I spent alot,  I try to save as much as I can.

50 minutes ago, amykat said:

Well often people in Thailand are doing something illegal, not everywhere, but here if you are throwing around big money and driving whatever kind of car you are driving ....boiler room or something would be quite possible.  However your piddly investments is nothing compared to your debt, your ridiculous car payment and the fact that you seem to own nothing yet consider yourself wealthy.  You should at least pay cash for your car...do you have a loan for your Rolex too???

What total nonsense.  I'm not talking about my assets or investments here. 

Do you not understand good debts?

49 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

poor taste

talking about your wealth

I am talking about personal expenses. The rest of the guys are making assumptions.

40 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

The 200k plus in investments go into stocks. I do not withdraw dividends.

Income is just shy of 1m a month with expected increases of 20% per year.

36 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Lots of jealous people here. Thanks for sharing. 

What kind of car is it? I looked at a new BMW X5 yesterday and the finance was only 35k per month.

I dont want to say here because I want to remain anonymous. I can message you if you need to know.

16 minutes ago, CGW said:

A good "expat live in" Bangkok work package, allowance for rent is B150k a month, electric paid, average for company I worked for was B28k a month, so figures are quite believable, school is same as what a friend pays. I would guess that the OP is not a money manager as paying B129k a month for a car makes no sense at all!

There is no point making money and not spending it. I dont have any vices. My only crazy expense is my car but I have reasons for it. I've loved cars since I was a child. The house I can justify due to family coming to visit and office space.

7 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So, you are spending about a round figure of half million baht per month in pure cost of living. At the same time you are investing 200-300K baht per month.

If I were about to believe all this, which is very hard to do out of so many reasons. However, I choose to believe you, and now you are my hero forever.

There is only one thing that is mysterious with all this. When you can afford such an exklusive and all out of problem lifestyle, why in the world did you choose Thailand?

My money goes alot further here. I am also married to a Thai.

32 minutes ago, thequietman said:

OK, here goes .......

Rent : 0 (built the house, so paid for)

Electric : 900 baht (hot season 1,600 aircon)

Part-time maid : 0 (wife and I clean our own home, ye lazy sod ???? )

Uni, 1 son :  3,000 school fees (9.000 per semester (so that's 3000 a month) rent : 1,500, Leccy and food etc 6,000 a month)

Total per month : 10,000

Car payments : truck and car paid for. Ins about 500 a month

Investments : property in UK paid for.

Eating out : 500 a month

Internet : 600 a month

Total about 12,000 give or take. Once son graduates, take 10,000 off. Monthly food, beer etc bout 8,000 a month.

Forgot health : pay into the gov scheme, here so 500 a month, so covered. 1,000 baht od dental care annually included in that)

So wen son gets a job, total outgoings will be around : 10 - 12,000 and we don't scrimp. Buy what we want, when we want it. Country life. ????

Thank you for sharing. I admire that alot and I've lived on similar amounts.

So, is the truth that you have been living above your means, and now that you are here and cut your overhead, save on taxes,  you can finally save a bit every month???  Now you feel like Mr. High Worth and want to brag about it here because your post serves no other purpose that I can see ???  It is not helpful to others, your budget is mostly anonymous misc loan payments.  We all know how much international school costs, I have paid it also.  Higher than average BKK rent and electric I suppose, you even neglect to say where you live.  No food at home ..wife doesn’t cook?  And the car.  You rent out the home you left behind, underwater a bit there?  Soon you will be underwater with the car too.  Are you new to stock market investing?  Is all of that what you are using leverage and all your BALLS for???

Renting a house in Hua Hin at the moment (switching to condo in August)

Rent : 25.000

Electric : 4.000

Part-time maid : 800 (cleaning service)

Water: 450 (fleecing me as its 80-100 pr month actually)

Total per month : 30.250

Vehicle payments : Motorcycle and car paid cash (500K+450K) so only the insurance

Investments : Been saving about 20K pr month from my budget

Internet : included in rent

Food, phone +++: 30.000

Total about 32.000 pr month incl insurance I figure.

Monthly budget about 90.000 baht +/- with the currency fluctuation

How much we spend, if its 20K a month or 2 million a month is all ok as long as we are spending by our means and not living on debt or eating up savings that cant be replenished.

15 minutes ago, HNWI said:

Thank you for sharing. I admire that alot and I've lived on similar amounts.

A little difficult when I first came here 15 years ago. Quite a bit of money spent at that point. However, once you have the necessaries that make life easier, you pretty much don't need much. I understand that you only live once like you said, but my Ranger gets me from here to there and back again in comfort. I really don't see the point in trying to impress the neighbors.

I could spend my savings on a flash car, but I couldn't forgive myself if I did. There are people living around me, that don't have money to buy food.

You should be leasing if you want a top end car, otherwise the moment you drive it out of the showroom, it has lost 25% of its value already.

Anyway, happy spending and I hope the investment market doesn't crash, as you may well be in a world of <deleted>! ???? 

1 minute ago, amykat said:

So, is the truth that you have been living above your means, and now that you are here and cut your overhead, save on taxes,  you can finally save a bit every month???  Now you feel like Mr. High Worth and want to brag about it here because your post serves no other purpose that I can see ???  It is not helpful to others, your budget is mostly anonymous misc loan payments.  We all know how much international school costs, I have paid it also.  Higher than average BKK rent and electric I suppose, you even neglect to say where you live.  No food at home ..wife doesn’t cook?  And the car.  You rent out the home you left behind, underwater a bit there?  Soon you will be underwater with the car too.  Are you new to stock market investing?  Is all of that what you are using leverage and all your BALLS for???

I couldn't possibly be doing well, could I? You already decided that.

Archived