44 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

They really must be desperate and devoid of any morals,

to scam an invalid ,could they get any lower,there are

people like this every where in the World,Colin you were

just unfortunate to come across one,if karma is real they

have pay back coming to them.

regards Worgeordie

Thats one way to think of it.

The other is to feel a bit sorry that these people are bought up in this kind of system that they must resort to such low practices.

In my own country i could not even be bothered to, and it is not even worth my energy to scam someone of $3..

because....err...its only $3!!!

But some places have no usable form of welfare, and the rich do not want to help the poor at all..really not even to give them some crumbs! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The agents at AIS and DTAC shops can do all sorts of wonderful things on your phone or rather the SIM card that's in it, all of them legal and most with your agreement. I wanted to try out DTAC data service and when I signed up, I told them I didn't want to get the SIM expiration prompts and need to 'top-up' that AIS gives you when your usage drops off. The sales guy said no problem and back-filled the new SIM with a 'history' of several pre-payments that made it look like I had been a heavy user for the previous 6 months. All this on a new SIM and only the initial 500 baht preload to get my first 30-day unlimited internet package going.

Pretty sad that a staff member would steal from seriously invalided customer. In lieu of having any ill-wishes towards that employee that AIS could possibly identify by their need for each employees to logged in to make third-party account transactions, let's just say I hope that karma prevails.

Yes, all of that on one SIM. But paying on one SIM for usage on another? I really had no idea that was possible. Like the idea, would keep a tab on the kids.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Always been scams in LOS ( Land of scams ). I fell for so many, but a learning curve.

My first scam was a "photographer" on Carnaby Street that promised to send me a photo if I would only gave him a few quid. Probably didn't even have film in the camera. Had a notebook full of suckers like me he wrote down our addresses in.

Rule #1, 2, 3, ad infinitum, never trust anyone that you don't know with money and things like phones. Sadly, the worst scammers in my life were the ones I loved, or had been friends with for many years.

you dont think it is just here right? 

I find it much more so in usa and insidiously as my parents aged and slipped slowly into dementia it became much worse...

for people who purchase lists for solicitations the most expensive one to buy is elderly. 

from indian tribes to children foundations their phone never stopped ringing.  

• Like 1

Pretty low to scam someone on a mobility scooter. Just hope she was eye candy to compensate.

Somehow some horoscope provider got my number, and was sending me my horoscopes daily in Thai. Billing me a couple of baht a day. My GF told me one of them said I was going to meet the girl of my dreams. I had to re-assure her I already had. Got it stopped by someone more tech-savvy than me.

Walking past a bus stop on my way to a shopping mall a few days ago, I was stopped by a diminutive gray-haired Thai lady who spoke quite good English. She asked me for 100 baht so she could get back to her village, and said she had no money. Etc. etc.

Was I scammed? Possibly so. However, I was so entertained by her approach I thought her spiel was worth 100 baht.

• Like 1

For it sure about Colin's top up but I use a machine like an ATM with true move. punch in the phone number and feed in the notes. I can understand if that is awkward to use from a scooter but surely a helper could do the same thing in front of you..... no need to wander off with phone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I have stopped putting credit on my phone so no one can steal it. Only use it with wi-fi.

I use my SCB online phone account to top up my AIS and pay all my bills.  I only keep 50k in that account and top it up at an ATM or by transfer at the bank.  My phone is secured with my fingerprint.  I have to transfer from my direct deposit account to my regular Bangkok Bank savings account every month so I'm at the bank anyway.  I never use an ATM outside of the bank.  

Today is more secure than ever before and less scams.  What we have is more cases of operator error.  Pretty simple to avoid.  1.  Never use an ATM outside of a bank.  2.  Buy a mobile phone that is secure with a finger print and pin number.  3.  Never give anyone your phone.  It is now like giving someone your credit card.  

Simple facts of modern life.  I'm close to 80 and if I can grasp this kids play technology anyone can.  I only keep little money in the accounts that are accessible with my phone.   

Colin's problem is simple to avoid.  Go to the bank and transfer (with the teller) money to an account accessible with a mobile phone and top up on that app.   

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

I experienced a brilliant scam here. My wife needed her wedding ring expanded as it had become too tight (like many of my clothes ????), and we left it with a shop in Central, Bang Na. Weeks or months later we were in a place with UV lighting and noticed that some of the stones in the ring were a different colour. We discovered that many of the diamonds had been replaced with glass while the ring was being serviced. Normally, how would you ever know? And how could you prove it?

2 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i am not sure about that. no one ever met me and i routinely tell people here I have five girlfriends.  

I thought you were leaving? Er, hang on.........

• Haha 2