Iranian arrested for exchanging a fake 500 Euro banknote in Pattaya

webfact

Iranian arrested for exchanging a fake 500 Euro banknote in Pattaya

6pm.jpg
Caption: Using a fake banknote

Pattaya police announced the arrest on Sunday of a 39 year old Iranian national on a charge of exchanging a banknote that he knew to be a fake. 

On Friday Ali Ismaili Hossanabadi (name transliterated from Thai) had gone to an exchange booth at the end of Soi Diamond Hotel and got 17,540 baht for a 500 Euro note. 

Only when Saichon Punkor, 40, checked again was the fake discovered. 

CCTV soon led police to Ali who said that he had got the note through a business in his homeland. 

They didn't believe this, said 77Jowo, and he was charged and detained.

Source: 77JOWO

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-10

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I wonder if the cops have any actual evidence that he was lying. A single note can be picked up by anyone. I have had a couple of fake 1,000's come out of an ATM here over the years. If they had found him with more dodgy notes, (which they would definitely have announced), it would be evidence he knew what he was doing. Right now his guilt to me seems at least a little questionable.

No police have no evidence but I wonder why over the past few years have been meny Iranian men there try exchange fake money so probably police wondering too 

Well, news to evil foreigners:

Should you obtain a fake banknote, you will be incarcerated and accused of "knowing" the bill was fake.

Hummm, who is going to risk jail for 500 THB?  Evil foreigners of course.  Bad people.  
I wonder how this would read if the guy was Thai?

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, connda said:

Should you obtain a fake banknote, you will be incarcerated and accused of "knowing" the bill was fake.

Hummm, who is going to risk jail for 500 THB?  Evil foreigners of course.  Bad people.  

16,000 baht   500 Euro

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, connda said:

Not certain but the crime is passing a counterfeit note, as opposed to knowingly doing it. 

500 Euro notes are pretty useless in Europe, nobody wants to change that much. They are however very popular with mafia and criminals, because they take 5X less volume than 100 Euro notes. Basically everyone with a 500 Euro note is suspect ????

• Like 2

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Ali who said that he had got the note through a business in his homeland

What business in his homeland?  Sometimes details can be important.  Are there any legitimate Euro note changers in Iran?  Iran does not use the Euro as its currency.  If the guy did get a bad Euro bill from some business in Iran, I would not be surprised if he is afraid to rat that business out.