Refused Multiple Entry Non Immigrant O in Australia

11 minutes ago, mngmn said:

While I was waiting my turn, I witnessed a stream of people turned away for Single Entry Tourist visas because they had incomplete documentation.

Any idea what the requirements are for a single entry tourist visa?

I thought it was just having a valid passport and the money to pay for the visa, I guess they're doing their best to stop people coming to Thailand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I thought it was just having a valid passport and the money to pay for the visa, I guess they're doing their best to stop people coming to Thailand.

Proof of the equivalent of at least 20k baht and tickets out of the country has been a requirement at many embassies and consulates for a long time now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Any idea what the requirements are for a single entry tourist visa?

Based on the conversations I overheard, most problems seemed to revolve around accommodation and onward flights.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Proof of at least the equivalent of at least 20k baht and tickets out of the country has been a requirement at many embassies and consulates for a long time now.

Does the 20.000 baht required when I just come for 10 days? and of course

I have a return ticket

21 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It would probably take you a half hour of gathering documents to get a 2 year O-A based on retirement visa.  Not such a bad deal.   

From the Thai Embassy's web site.  Note the requirements for 1 original and 2 copies.

Documents Required: (1 original and 2 copies)

• our actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 18 months);
  • Three completed and signed application form;
  • Three passport-size photographs (3.5 x 4.5 cm.) taken within 6 months with a full-face view without hat or glasses. (Photocopy not accepted);
  • A completed PERSONAL DATA FORM;
  • A bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income statement (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year;
  • A police name check certificate issued no longer than 3 months prior to submitting the application;
  • A MEDICAL CERTIFICATE indicating that the applicant has no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535 (1993) issued no longer than 3 months prior to submitting the application with a rubber stamp of the concerned doctor or hospital on the certificate confirming its authenticity.

Instruction:

• When you have prepared all the original documents as required, you must then make 2 copies of each document.
  • Afterward, you must separate the documents into 3 sets. Within these sets, you should arrange the documents in the order given above.  All together you will have 1 set of the original documents and 2 sets of copies.
  • You must take all 3 sets to a Notary Public to bind and notarize each set. The binding and notarization of documents must only be done by a Notary Public or Justice of the Peace. 

For me the above represents 'hoops'.  In any case, no way you will get a Australian Federal Police check in less than a couple of weeks.  Don't want to buy medical insurance in Thailand when I will be spending most of my time in Australia with occasional visits to Thailand.

Edited by mngmn
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Does the 20.000 baht required when I just come for 10 days?

If applying for tourist visa at a many embassies or consulates you would.

For a 30 day visa exempt entry you would it would only be a 10k baht if you were asked to show by immigration.

9 minutes ago, madmen said:

OP what are you not understanding? 20k plus accommodation. Why a new thread just for that?

Requirement is for money in local bank (not Thai) and accommodation is covered since I will stay with my daughter.  Previous years this was implied but this year they wanted specific mention of this in her letter.

In any case my comment about accommodation and onward flights was in regard to conversations I overheard about tourist visas NOT related to my application for a Non Immigrant O.

Read my post properly.

Edited by mngmn

12 minutes ago, mngmn said:

From the Thai Embassy's web site.  Note the requirements for 1 original and 2 copies.

Documents Required: (1 original and 2 copies)

• our actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 18 months);
  • Three completed and signed application form;
  • Three passport-size photographs (3.5 x 4.5 cm.) taken within 6 months with a full-face view without hat or glasses. (Photocopy not accepted);
  • A completed PERSONAL DATA FORM;
  • A bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income statement (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year;
  • A police name check certificate issued no longer than 3 months prior to submitting the application;
  • A MEDICAL CERTIFICATE indicating that the applicant has no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535 (1993) issued no longer than 3 months prior to submitting the application with a rubber stamp of the concerned doctor or hospital on the certificate confirming its authenticity.

No way you will get a Australian Federal Police check in less than a couple of weeks.  Don't want to buy medical insurance in Thailand when I will be spending most of my time in Australia with occasional visits to Thailand.

Federal Police checks generally about 5 working days, some states(Qld),you lodge on line, NSW at local court house

Travel insurance?easy

Edited by RJRS1301

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Federal Police checks generally about 5 working days, some states(Qld),you lodge on line, NSW at local court house

Travel insurance?easy

My last one took more than 2 weeks to arrive.  Not talking about travel insurance, which I always purchase anyway, but the proposed mandatory Thai medical insurance for O-A visas.  Not in force yet but definitely in the pipeline. 

Maybe should clarify - I definitely don't want to live in Thailand but do want to visit my daughter from time to time without the fear of being denied entry on the basis of too many Visa Exempt entries.

Edited by mngmn
  • Like 1

Just now, mngmn said:

My last one took more than 2 weeks to arrive.  Not talking about travel insurance, which I always purchase anyway, but the proposed mandatory Thai medical insurance for O-A visas.  Not in force yet but definitely in the pipeline. 

Maybe should clarify - I definitely don't want to live in Thailand but do want to visit my daughter from time to time without the fear of being denied entry.

Surprised about the police check taking so long, mine have always taken about 5 working days turn around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

It would probably take you a half hour of gathering documents to get a 2 year O-A based on retirement visa.  Not such a bad deal.   

Its up to 4 weeks (15-20 working days) just for police check. All docs need to be bound and notarized. 

Medical form from doctor. Sometimes need to shop around for one that doesn't require blood tests. There are more. Not hard but takes time. Upside is can be done by mail to Canberra. 

Anyway i dont see why OP is all up in arms...he can go to los anytime visa exempt.

Edited by DrJack54

25 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Maybe should clarify - I definitely don't want to live in Thailand but do want to visit my daughter from time to time without the fear of being denied entry on the basis of too many Visa Exempt entries.

Great parent leaving your daughter to rot in that cesspool you speak of.

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Its up to 4 weeks (15-20 working days) just for police check. All docs need to be bound and notarized. 

Medical form from doctor. Sometimes need to shop around for one that doesn't require blood tests. There are more. Not hard but takes time. Upside is can be done by mail to Canberra. 

Anyway i dont see why OP is all up in arms...he can go to los anytime visa exempt.

Actually I have never waited that long, as said usually 5 working days.

The documents , although say bound and notarized, (which I do), have been informed they can be "certified by JP and stapled together , been told twice that is acceptable

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

The documents , although say bound and notarized, (which I do), have been informed they can be "certified by JP and stapled together , been told twice that is acceptable

If I desperately wanted to live in Thailand, all of this would not seem too much trouble but I don't.  I live in Australia and want to visit my daughter from time to time without fear of being denied entry for too many visa exempt entries.

The cynic in me idly wonders if they are pushing people towards O-A to ensure that the new medical insurance requirements are seen as a success.  Surely not?

5 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I read those reports also. So yes possible. My O-A was rejected because were signed by JP. I rang Canberra eventually got put up the food chain and helpful Thai lady explained " some officer no like use JP". TIT

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I read those reports also. So yes possible. My O-A was rejected because were signed by JP. I rang Canberra eventually got put up the food chain and helpful Thai lady explained " some officer no like use JP". TIT

Wow, a person from the embassy actually rang me to inform me of this, unsolicited first time

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

Wow, a person from the embassy actually rang me to inform me of this, unsolicited first time

?...I rang the embassy. 

On a positive note she said if I had them signed by notary she would fast tract approval as I had upcoming flight. My post was that sometimes (as in my case) the use of JP was insufficient. They did return my application fee which I was sort of surprised.

2 hours ago, mngmn said:

I had so much money in my savings account that the desk lady cooed "Wow! I mud call you Sir" and wai'ed me.

lol as if.  I have been to most of the embassies in au they are all proffesional and treat you as a fellow aussie.

1 hour ago, mngmn said:

Based on the conversations I overheard, most problems seemed to revolve around accommodation and onward flights.

This is starting to sound like the list of requirements I had to meet in order to get a visa to Russia back in the 90's.

Russia went one stap further than this - they forced you to stay in a government owned hotel, apart from that it's pretty much the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

lol as if.  I have been to most of the embassies in au they are all proffesional and treat you as a fellow aussie.

Believe it or not. Up to you. It actually happened. Word for word.

21 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Believe it or not. Up to you. It actually happened. Word for word.

Not sure which embassy you used, but for Sydney it is pretty straight forward and no medical, just police clearance, $42 and processed in 24 hours and posted immediately so about 3 days to receive. Did mine last month. And only original and 1 copy required. I think the list you posted is very out of date. Go for it mate. 2 years for $275 and another 3800 baht for the multi entry permit for the 2nd year.