Farang escapes serious punishment for anti-govt song, apologises, removes video

snoop1130

30 minutes ago, balo said:

Some of his videos only have 11 views I I clicked on it so now its 12 views.

Another wannabe Youtuber who wants to go viral and earn money while wasting his life away in Thailand. 

Given that he's a fully fluent Thai speaker, I doubt that's the case.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Channel 7 reported that contact with the legal affairs department of the National Council for Peace and Order and the Thai technology police had been made by reporters.'

This sounds like Channel 7 are snitches or grasses - stirring up trouble, wanting to get this guy into hot water. If that is the case, it's pretty disgusting.

In my opinion, the guy's video was amusing and well done, but he was extremely foolish to poke his lone head above the parapet in this way; actually, I think he must be pretty mad (in the sense of crazy) to have done so.

If this had been a Thai, I think the consequences would have been more serious. But as other posters have said, this chap may not yet have heard the last of the matter. It would not surprise me one bit if some nationalistic, junta-adoring, private (allegedly) Thai citizen does indeed take out a private prosecution against this comedian. He really should make plans to leave Thailand while he still can, I feel ...

A lot of really unpleasant people inhabit this forum. Someone told me the same many years ago and now I can see it for myself.

Always ready to step on someone else to get the feeling of being somehow elevated.

He comes from France, is in Thailand since 2003 and founded "sanuk games ", he is an engineer  and worked before with Ubisoft ( interview here in French, where he tells of his story ); not a stupid guy at all, I don't know why he did this song , to stay long time in Thailand we should not speak of things that Thai don't like 

2 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Common sense all round. 

Common sense response by the police for simply asking him to take the video down.

Can you imagine the negative headlines if he had been arrested or even deported. 

Common sense by the guy the for agreeing to remove the video. 

Not recognizing freedom of speech as a basic right isn't common sense. Common sense would dictate (pun intended) that the police would not got involved in the matter.

If i were him i would still be nervous until i had gotten my next extension or reentered Thailand.

Forcefully kicking him out now would make the Thai government look over sensitive. Denying him entry to the country in a few months or forcing him to leave, when nobody is talking about him anymore, won't get much attention.

3 hours ago, firestar said:

What makes you think most Thais don't actually agree with what he said?

Because , Thais are not allowed to have an opinion,  loss of face, etc.

You do NOT practice free speech in a country which does not have it. This man should consult former citizens of the old Soviet Union. If you want to live here, you had best do as you're told and stay out of Thai politics. It has always been a very simple concept for me. The law is clear and it does not have a sense of . humor.

36 minutes ago, Aforek said:

He comes from France, is in Thailand since 2003 and founded "sanuk games ", he is an engineer  and worked before with Ubisoft ( interview here in French, where he tells of his story ); not a stupid guy at all, I don't know why he did this song , to stay long time in Thailand we should not speak of things that Thai don't like 

if that's the case then maybe subconsciously he really wanted to go and decided to do it with a bang, cause if he really wanted to stay then he's not displaying too much intelligence imo

The man is absolutely right,  the video is funny and many Thai would agree. But the (disbanded)  NCPO dinosaurs are not amused so obviously he had to be pressured in taking the video down. He didn't really had much of an option.

The country remains in sad shape.

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

that the song did not incite or cause division in society, things that could make it actionable.

based  on  that  surely  the  entire  govt  need  locking up,  once  again a  quite  pathetic hunting  down  of  anyone or  anything they  dont  like, lets  see  which  idiot  wants  to  bring  the  private  prosecution.

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Common sense all round. 

Common sense response by the police for simply asking him to take the video down.

Can you imagine the negative headlines if he had been arrested or even deported. 

Common sense by the guy the for agreeing to remove the video. 

No common sense  more  like, totally unnecessary, BULLYING, waste of Police time, intimidation threats you name it  ALL in there.

4 hours ago, KhunFred said:

You do NOT practice free speech in a country which does not have it. This man should consult former citizens of the old Soviet Union. If you want to live here, you had best do as you're told and stay out of Thai politics. It has always been a very simple concept for me. The law is clear and it does not have a sense of . humor.

Imagine a world where no one  ever  challenged authority.......welcome to YOUR WORLD, thats a pretty sad world

8 hours ago, evadgib said:

The nearest I can come up with in the other direction was when Smiley Culture came up with this and gave everyone a good laugh ????

The same Smiley Culture, who the police claim, stabbed himself in the chest during a police raid.

How many times have I heard this?  "It's not your country"

We're fooling ourselves if we think because we have a visa, a Thai spouse, own a condo or pay rent that we have the the right to voice our concerns or dislikes.  Bad news... a foreigner will never have that prerogative. We will never be accepted or even adopted into the mainstream. Our role is to live simple and observe.  Sure, we can rattle our cans with our friends, but be careful to control your volume and content. The other phrase often muttered is "go back to your country". Of course, that may not always be an option.  Tread lightly. 

11 hours ago, firestar said:

What makes you think most Thais don't actually agree with what he said?

They probably do but have learnt it's best not to air your opinion in public if you don't want a visit from someone!

Unfortunately for this guy he might find his next renewal process might have a few more hurdles!

7 minutes ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

How many times have I heard this?  "It's not your country"

We're fooling ourselves if we think because we have a visa, a Thai spouse, own a condo or pay rent that we have the the right to voice our concerns or dislikes.  Bad news... a foreigner will never have that prerogative. We will never be accepted or even adopted into the mainstream. Our role is to live simple and observe.  Sure, we can rattle our cans with our friends, but be careful to control your volume and content. The other phrase often muttered is "go back to your country". Of course, that may not always be an option.  Tread lightly. 

Get real how many of us are going to record and sing anti Junta songs?

Archived