Mercedes rolls out locally made GLC 220 SUV

webfact

Mercedes rolls out locally made GLC 220 SUV

By The Nation

157ba79683dbdfc51740c5cc46c7b184.jpeg

Mercedes-Benz (Thailand) Ltd on Monday added the locally-made GLC 220 d 4Matic to its ever-growing SUV portfolio for Thai customers.

The GLC 220 is ideal for families that enjoy four-door diesel SUVs with an exciting exterior profile and a spacious cabin. The vehicle also boasts of low emission and excellent fuel consumption at 5.91 litres for every 100 kilometres. 

The GLC 220 d4Matic goes for Bt3.04 million, and can be checked out at any of the 33 authorised dealers nationwide, said Frank Steinacher, vice president of sales and marketing for Mercedez-Benz (Thailand).

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371238

thenation_logo.jpg

3 minutes ago, Artben said:

You can purchase a new Mercedes GLC 300 4MATIC in the US for under $45,000 (Bt1.45 million).  This has a gasoline engine and is a 2019 model.  Half the Thailand price.  Thai labor must be expensive.

It’s called luxury car tax ????

Um? Why a luxury tax? Its just a shty car. Its a dam diesel. Probably used as a taxi in other countries that still use petrol engine cars. 

Why produce non elec cars here? I dont get it. Just read the petrol mg suv is made here but they will import the elec version from china. Why in hell would thais invest in making petrol cars here now?

Here i am asking "why" after decades of being here... I should know better....

36 minutes ago, BestB said:

Afaik the luxury car tax is only for imports. This one is locally made, so no luxury tax to pay and Mercedes just makes 1.5 million baht more profit compared to other countries.

26 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Um? Why a luxury tax? Its just a shty car. Its a dam diesel. Probably used as a taxi in other countries that still use petrol engine cars. 

Why produce non elec cars here? I dont get it. Just read the petrol mg suv is made here but they will import the elec version from china. Why in hell would thais invest in making petrol cars here now?

Here i am asking "why" after decades of being here... I should know better....

"A shitty car"......?  ????

PS. It has a shitty price tag....

1 hour ago, BestB said:

OK, I get that there's a "luxury tax" but I wonder exactly where that money collected goes.

Do you have any idea?

Does it go towards road building or maintenance or what?

I hope it doesn't eventually just line the pockets of bureaucrats.

38 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik the luxury car tax is only for imports. This one is locally made, so no luxury tax to pay and Mercedes just makes 1.5 million baht more profit compared to other countries.

Most likely still falls into imported as some parts are imported but because assembled locally it’s cheaper than its rivals or other fully imported models 

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

OK, I get that there's a "luxury tax" but I wonder exactly where that money collected goes.

Do you have any idea?

The government uses the tax money to buy weapons of war, to to create populist policies

for the poor, but this has been stopped as they have had the election,but buying weapons

will continue i am sure.

regards worgeordie

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Do you have any idea?

????, same place taxes go all around the world . 

Roads are not that bad, free

medical, education, budget surplus economy and big fat cheque’s for all

the generals 

1 hour ago, Artben said:

You can purchase a new Mercedes GLC 300 4MATIC in the US for under $45,000 (Bt1.45 million).  This has a gasoline engine and is a 2019 model.  Half the Thailand price.  Thai labor must be expensive.

Not if you're a Thai in Thailand, you can't, and that's what matters, not the US price for a different model!

2 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Can get 2 CRVs for that price...

You could but in the Thai world arriving somewhere in the Mercedes-Benz gives you a lot of kudos whereas you arriving in two CRVs all they say is how did you drive them both ????

2 hours ago, Artben said:

Thai labor not expensive.... too many envelopes to fill up makes it expensive

10 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Can get 2 CRVs for that price...

Or 4 MG ZS's, or take 600,000 dumps in a 5 baht pay toilet.  So what?  With high end Japanese SUVs pushing the 2M baht barrier, and even higher in the case of Lexuxes (Lexi?), the gap between them and (perceived as) more luxury brands is closing.  No wonder I increasingly see more of them on the streets here.

And, as for those asking why electric cars aren't being produced, the technology still hasn't arrived to make them practical here.  Try driving one any distance up country and sitting around for half a day waiting for it to charge every 150km, assuming you can find somewhere to plug it into, which you won't.  Diesel is available everywhere, and, until battery technology gets to the point of matching the convenience of stopping for a few minutes and adding half a cubic metre of an easily transportable liquid, allowing you, and the family, to travel another 1000km in airconditioned comfort with music playing while charging a number of mobile phones, fully electric cars still aren't a viable option for anything other than short distance town use.

Archived