US pensioner arrested for staying in Thailand illegally

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Sounds like he misunderstood something and now they are making him look like the evil foreigner. He certainly tried as he travelled to the bridge twice. 

The evil foreigner didn't walk the extra 20 meters to exit and then reenter for his entry stamp. From his passport record, he never left Thailand. Trying doesn't cut it; you have to do it.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Uptooyoo said:

The evil foreigner didn't walk the extra 20 meters to exit and then reenter for his entry stamp. From his passport record, he crossed the border illegally into Thailand. Trying doesn't cut it; you have to do it.

Probably confused and it can be an intimidating event. I tend to want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

It really looks like that Thais only focus to catch on foreigners.

Why they not go to catch all the criminal dangerous drivers who break the laws 

a billion times every day????

Dangerous speeding. Red traffic light violations. Endangering outhers. Driving on the sidewalk. etc.

I don't want to hear stupid excuses!!!!! I want to know why????

I am wondering what would happen, if all these deported foreigners would wake up and

start some serious lawsuits against this country. That would make some waves, if thez get some

invitation from the International Crime Court in Den Haag.

I just think about the torture and inhuman treatment of prisoners.

17 minutes ago, Dragon Master 01 said:

With people who do this sort of shit all the time they need to be made an example of and give them the maximum Thai penalties so others get the idea they can't just over run Thailand doing what ever they like which they wouldn't allow people to do in their own Countries 

So why should they be allowed to get away with it in Thailand 

All Europeans that do this and use and abuse the Thai people should be dealt to very severely 

So it shows their Countrymen not to do it

The worst offenders are the Americans and the English of all ages

There are also others but most are American and English they seem to think they own the world when they just cause the most problems instead and have done for Centuries

Did you open an account here just to spread your xenophobic filth?

But don't worry, Very soon after this place will be another Chinese authoritarian province, you will find yourself missing very much all the US and British people who will be long gone for good..

Pitches for Thai reality TV shows:

To Catch a Farang with Chris 'Big Joke' Hansen

Thailand's Most Wanted Farang

Kick Me Out of Thailand [based on Take Me Out of Thailand]

12 Years an Expat

Django Chained and Deported

The Fugitive Farang

You wanna say this is all TVF-induced paranoia, be my guest, but I'm telling you these constant reports about foreigners being arrested, rounded up, and deported is having a very negative effect on how average Thais see foreigners. The Land of Smiles is becoming The Land of Stares. The government better wake up. It's not just expats who are noticing this; tourists have to have started noticing as well.

15 minutes ago, LongTang said:

Totally agree, This kind of new makes me want to vomit !

Shaming an old man like that for an obvious mixup is absolutely despicable ! ????????????

TBH , sounds like it was a deliberate attempt at deception 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

This is just a case of the IOs involved making a major thing out of nothing.

Oh look we are doing a fantastic job, we nabbed this farang offender, took 5 of us, pathetic.

Who knows maybe the poor man got confused, made a simple error, it does happen sometimes to older folk.

Happens to me weekly in Soi Nana.

16 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Pitches for Thai reality TV shows:

To Catch a Farang with Chris 'Big Joke' Hansen

Thailand's Most Wanted Farang

Kick Me Out of Thailand [based on Take Me Out of Thailand]

12 Years an Expat

Django Chained and Deported

The Fugitive Farang

You wanna say this is all TVF-induced paranoia, be my guest, but I'm telling you these constant reports about foreigners being arrested, rounded up, and deported is having a very negative effect on how average Thais see foreigners. The Land of Smiles is becoming The Land of Stares. The government better wake up. It's not just expats who are noticing this; tourists have to have started noticing as well.

I think it's good for the agents business eh?  

24 minutes ago, sanemax said:

TBH , sounds like it was a deliberate attempt at deception 

First we don't know, Secondly even if it was, He didn't do it to stay illegally for a lengthy period of time here as he was back after a few days so we don't know what was his circumstances.

Either way, There is no excuse for Parading and humiliating an old man in the media like that even if he was in the wrong !

55 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Think you will find that photo was taken for Thai news.

And yes, it's Thai people killing Thai and Falang people on the Thai roads.

was there any real point to your post. 

So you think immigration should travel around Thailand to arrest people who drive poorly? Or what was the point of your post?

6 hours ago, Estrada said:

I had this problem once. Flew to Singapore for a meeting in the airport transit area with a friends transiting through Singapore Airport. Neither of us entered Singapore but I exited Thailand. They gave my agro at Immigration because they said I must enter the other country. (Thai logic). I remember years ago a friend used to go to a border crossing, get stamped out and then go to the the end of the building and get stamped back in again. It seems like there are people still using this system. I do not believe that there is anything in the regulations that stated you have to enter another country after receiving an exit stamp.

Once you get stamped out of Thailand and leave the country, its non of their (Thai immigration) where you go. In most of Europe if you have a UK passport for example you don't get stamps entering and exiting. Why you would get 'agro' entering back into Thailand is to say the least very odd.

53 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Probably confused and it can be an intimidating event. I tend to want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Agree. Probably first time to do it and was told you have to leave and return so he stamps out and wanders back in. Gets back to bkk or wherever and finds out he should have entered and left the other country, goes back to try and fix it and ends up a master criminal.

7 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

We don't know why he didn't cross the bridge, could he have some personal issues? But that doesn't seem to matter, does it? 

Ah yes. The " I didn't know it was loaded" defense.

If a foreigner were found in most farang countries without a valid visa/permission to stay, would they pat him on the back and say " Have a nice day?" 

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

A cop is a cop in Thailand.

The guy is 69 years old.

And 5 big cops all standing behind him, 

The big bust of the century.

This should not,  have even made any news. 

It's just more fuel for the xenophobia fire,  that is burning so bright at present.

Good day.

1. I'm fairly confident that they get assigned their duties. You think they decide what they will do that day by themselves?

2. Yeah, and? At what age do the rules change?

3. It's their office, they can do what they like.

4. I would have said that was Dolly Parton.

5. You don't think that it might be in the spirit of 'hey boys, get your docs right, or we'll find you?'

6. Maybe a bit left over for the paranoia fire too, hey, that seems to be roaring out of control in some quarters?

38 minutes ago, Myran said:

So you think immigration should travel around Thailand to arrest people who drive poorly? Or what was the point of your post?

65 dead people or 10 day overstay old falang = Get him, get him now !!!!!!!!!

Yes, i think the police should concentrate there efforts elsewhere.

move a few thousand, photo op boys, and Big joke buddies, to different desks,  payroll stays the same.

But it sure is hard to get,  the Thai authorities to care about any real things.

they all have, the it's not my job attitude or just don't care at all.

BTW, think immigration Police, have the same,  if not more powers than the average cop, so why not get them to do some real work in the community.

thats my point, whats yours ?:coffee1:

6 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

whenever you leave by land ur stamped out, you LEGALLY need enter another country before you return to the previous one.

Thai's and most countries check for the entry/exit stamp.

Flying in is something else thou.

We don't get stamps in Australia. If thats the case why when I leave Bangkok get stamp then into Sydney no stamp, then back to Bangkok no questions.

6 minutes ago, Traubert said:

1. I'm fairly confident that they get assigned their duties. You think they decide what they will do that day by themselves?

2. Yeah, and? At what age do the rules change?

3. It's their office, they can do what they like.

4. I would have said that was Dolly Parton.

5. You don't think that it might be in the spirit of 'hey boys, get your docs right, or we'll find you?'

6. Maybe a bit left over for the paranoia fire too, hey, that seems to be roaring out of control in some quarters?

Ok mate. Dolly Parton, it was yellow pill today not the blue one.

That photo, of 5 big guys making a massive bust of an old 69 year Falang

who has most likely made a silly mistake, says a 1000 words to me,

but just one is better.

Xenophobia. :jap:

5 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

BTW, think immigration Police, have same if not more powers than the average cop, so why not get them to do some real work in the community.

thats my point, whats yours ?:coffee1:

Their mandate is to deal with immigrations matters not whatever seems more interesting when they come to work some mornings.

Possibly in your country meter maids are sometimes assigned to tackle surveillance of possible terrorists if that seems more important than parking in a no parking zone?

Another crazed foreign psychopath  arrested for over stay surely the incredibly brave officers carrying out such a dangerous arrest deserve a few medals and ribbons for their uniform this always looks better in the photo ops’, and the criminal should spend at least 20 years in prison for such a heinous crime against the Thai people then passport stamped life ban from Thailand it’s the only way or next the evil criminal ones will be staying 14 days over.  

Nong Khai is easy to re-enter having been stamped out. Once, having been stamped out I was about to board the bus to cross over to Laos when I realised I had left my bags in the mini-bus which had returned to Udon Thani airport. I jumped the barrier to retrieve my bags - so I had re-entered Thailand illegally. Some hours later with bags in hand I attempted to exit Thailand once again. I tried to explain my situation to the IO.  The IO was really confused and was getting more aggrieved by the minute. In the end she said "What do you want to do?" I replied "Go to Laos" She stamped my passport with another exit stamp with the same date and said, "Now Go!!!"

When exiting Thailand, there is a separate exit point for those on overstay and it is clearly signed, he should have been directed there. Maybe he thought if I simply do a quick turn around I won't have to travel to Laos and pay the $35 entry fee and also  he did not want to pay the 1,000 Baht over-stay penalty. 

I think had it been a simple case of 10 day over-stay it would have been ok, but his mistake was to re-enter illegally making it look irregular and suspicious.

32 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Ah yes. The " I didn't know it was loaded" defense.

If a foreigner were found in most farang countries without a valid visa/permission to stay, would they pat him on the back and say " Have a nice day?" 

Most would listen to a reason!!!!!! Even African countries.

Archived