Electric Rate - Noob Question?

sfokevin

My Partner and I came down from Chiang Mai for a few days and rented a small pool “villa” off Soi 102.. We are scoping out longer term rental for next March & April... During the initial walkthrough the owner mentioned we would pay electric (Which I confirmed was stated/buried on his AirBnb site)... He also told me he would only charge me the same rate he pays... 7 baht/kw... Me being from Chiang Mai and spoiled by a Cheap Charlie rate of 4 baht/kw was wondering if the standard rate here is actually 7?...

Is he the owner or he's subletting? If he's the owner then he's overcharging. It probably won't make a huge difference, but keep that in mind when you compare the cost of similar units who don't Cheap Charlie on the electricity... they're not supposed to charge electricity separately on Airbnb, nor operate Airbnb in Thailand for that matter...

On 6/18/2019 at 4:19 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Is he the owner or he's subletting? If he's the owner then he's overcharging. It probably won't make a huge difference, but keep that in mind when you compare the cost of similar units who don't Cheap Charlie on the electricity... they're not supposed to charge electricity separately on Airbnb, nor operate Airbnb in Thailand for that matter...

From whence did you glean that gem? I've never heard of that before. Do you have a link to such?

On 6/18/2019 at 9:38 AM, Jan Dietz said:

He'll pay somewhere between 4-5 THB/kWh unless he's subletting it.

7 is on the high end of the scale for rentals, but shy of gouging.

Better watch the meter and make sure you're the only one using it..

I got nailed , almost in Bang Saray just ready to sign contract and I asked that question , 15 bloody Baht , I ran out the door

5 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

I got nailed , almost in Bang Saray just ready to sign contract and I asked that question , 15 bloody Baht , I ran out the door

Yup, it's a nice little earner for landlords who rent to the careless or unwary. Standard rate is around 4-4.5B per unit, depending on exact location. Since a couple of years ago it has been illegal for companies with greater than a certain number of residences in one block to charge more than the electric company rates, but don't expect that to stop them, and subletters, trying it on.

The domestic rate is about 4B/unit, and it varies a little according to the quantity used per month and also according to the government fuel price balancing that occurs.

The business rate is much higher and some houses and condos - notably those which are company-owned - may be paying the business rate. The business rate also varies according to the amount used.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Air bnb is not illegal in Thailand. Renting your condo for less than 1 month without a hotel license is.

which part?    

abnb is not approved yet  .. it is in the grey area .. but seldom fined ?

as i understand abnb pays power unless they are subbing the room out which would account for the power and high rate 

Archived