Thai Army helps Cambodia clear landmines along Sa Kaew border

webfact

Thai Army helps Cambodia clear landmines along Sa Kaew border

By The Nation

bcd813423b4f763db6aaa3562c53106c.jpeg

The Royal Thai Army has helped its Cambodian counterparts clear landmines along the Sa Kaew border over around 1.72 million square metres this fiscal year, said Lt Gen Sitthipol Nimnual.

The director of the Thailand Mine Action Centre (TMAC) visited the border at Sa Kaew’s Ta Phraya district where the TMAC-Cambodian Mine Action Centre project has been carried out.

4bcd22c955ea51e0f647506a7b3b40b9.jpeg

The operation has been being carried out by the Humanitarian Mine Action Unit headed by Col Chitnupong Rodsiri.

Sitthipol said the operation has so far cleared 2,570 mines.

Lt Nipon Rungruang of the mine team said around 306,100 square metres along the border at Ta Phraya remained to be cleared.

af71eea588de3c99c10ce30384c8606a.jpeg

135cb3a20882ab6482171f39d82490ac.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371371

thenation_logo.jpg

11 minutes ago, CapraIbex said:

Thanks for that.

My reason for asking was that I didn't know if the mines were leftover by the Pol Pot regime, or if they had been planted much later.

We have seen plenty of news reports regarding ongoing Thai-Cambodian arguing about the demarcation of the border in recent years, including some firing at each other's troops. I wasn't sure if during these 'minor skirmishes' if some of the mines were planted then.

This bill you can send to Vietnam, to general Lê Đức Anh to be precise. He designed the Western defense corridor with five key points against any Khmer Rouge regrouping which later on became known as the K5.
It brought the logistics of war supplies from PR China from "outside" to Northwestern Cambodia to a screeching halt; the use of land mines became known later only. Look at the map and you know what  I am talking about.
The tedious removal of land mines referred in this article is 1.72km2 (one kilometre by 720 metres) which puts the 1'720'000 square metres into more undertandable proportions.

47 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for that.

My reason for asking was that I didn't know if the mines were leftover by the Pol Pot regime, or if they had been planted much later.

We have seen plenty of news reports regarding ongoing Thai-Cambodian arguing about the demarcation of the border in recent years, including some firing at each other's troops. I wasn't sure if during these 'minor skirmishes' if some of the mines were planted then.

another area of concern are the minefields on the Thai side, but they are well guarded and marked to avoid smuggling.  Some areas on Thai side are still no go, especially south of Malai all the way down to Klong Had.

Display from the Humanitarian Mines Action Unit HMAU in Chanthaburi; as well as de-mining activities along the border the HMAU staff play an important role in educating children in the dangers presented by landmines and unexploded bombs.

tumblr_ni0h37qJ921r8w5s5o3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni0h37qJ921r8w5s5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni0h37qJ921r8w5s5o2_r1_1280.jpg

Archived