Then there were two: Johnson and Hunt fight for British PM job

webfact

I never understood UK politics, over 66 million people and about 160,000 get to choose the next MP.  I bet Donald Trump wishes that that was the system in the US and only have the republican party allowed to vote for him in 2020

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, evadgib said:

Hmmm, a disgruntled neighbour known to have put a professionally produced poster on BJ's car that said something like "I'd rather have BJ as a neighbour than a Prime minister" (seen elsewhere this morning) and who alledgedly went as far as to turn this into Fred and Rose?

I suspect Joe Public will see this for what it is; A desperate attempt by remain that only usually works in UK's draconian family courts.

you do know the other guy (Hunt) is a brexiteer too? in fact he was quotes yesterday as saying:

Hunt used the hustings to harden his position on no-deal saying he would “100%” leave the EU at the end of October with no deal if he believed the EU was not willing to compromise.

thats the same policy stance as Boris.. Negotiate or No Deal

so, are you actually saying there is a remainer plot to get Boris ruled out so the other brexiter can force a no deal too?

do you realize how idiotic that sounds??!

maybe Hunt will throw his toys out of his pram next and we'll have no leader ????‍♀️

i'd say Boris is doing his best to throw this, without ruining his career, because he doesn't want the poison chalice. either that or he really is a buffoon lol

Edited by GeorgeCross

14 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

All those things you mention are resolvable even with no deal, apart from perhaps access to the single market. They are only made to sound difficult by people who have a vested interest in the UK remaining in the EU.

Single market access can be solved with a FTA. We are told how wonderful the EU are at negotiating FTAs with countries such as Canada and Japan, so why not with the UK? Or is the UK to be treated like an enemy now? And if that's the case, why the hell would we want to stay part of the EU?! 

Everybody worldwide has single market access, but not on the same terms as a single markt member.

Membership requires accepting EU rules and the supremacy of the EU courts. (like Switzerland) There is no halfway house.  

It's more about protecting standards than tarifs - non-membership requires checks at the border 

13 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

One of the many out of context quotes remainers throw up far too often. It was said by one man, Liam Fox. He was talking about the fact that the UK already has agreements in place as an EU member, so in theory a trade deal OUGHT to be the easiest in history. And he was right, it ought to be. That's if the EU was run by sensible and reasonable people.

And in saying that he revealed he had no understanding of how the EU or the single market worked. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

you do know the other guy (Hunt) is a brexiteer too? in fact he was quotes yesterday as saying:

thats the same policy stance as Boris.. Negotiate or No Deal

so, are you actually saying there is a remainer plot to get Boris ruled out so the other brexiter can force a no deal too?

do you realize how idiotic that sounds??!

maybe Hunt will throw his toys out of his pram next and we'll have no leader ????‍♀️

i'd say Boris is doing his best to throw this, without ruining his career, because he doesn't want the poison chalice. either that or he really is a buffoon lol

Hunt is not a brexiteer.

A link please to where he stated that "he would “100%” leave the EU at the end of October with no deal if he believed the EU was not willing to compromise."

Edit - Thinking about this for another minute, my mistake.  He may well have said this, as his version of "compromise" is probably the eu/May surrender treaty with a slight change in wording that makes no difference at all......

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Hunt is not a brexiteer.

A link please to where he stated that "he would “100%” leave the EU at the end of October with no deal if he believed the EU was not willing to compromise."

But then neither is boris .....

4 hours ago, CapraIbex said:

The state of feeling inadequate caused by social limitations is an internal 'challenge'. Running away and not to take responsibility for failures and mistakes, blaming them on others is not a panacea.

Are you in the right topic?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I agree re. boris, but edited my post whilst you were posting re. hunt's 'position'.....

As a remaniner, of the two, I'd prefer Boris as I reckon he's more likely to go back on his word, Hunt can be  a stubborn fool and dig his heels in - remember the junior doctors ?

And  I think Boriss is more likely to result in an early GE.

17 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

One of the many out of context quotes remainers throw up far too often. It was said by one man, Liam Fox. He was talking about the fact that the UK already has agreements in place as an EU member, so in theory a trade deal OUGHT to be the easiest in history. And he was right, it ought to be. That's if the EU was run by sensible and reasonable people.

????

Just 11 Times Leave Campaigners Said That Brexit Would Be Easy

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/nobody-said-it-was-easy

Attached the one I like best

sub-buzz-30349-1504700740-1.webp

7 hours ago, tebee said:

Everybody worldwide has single market access, but not on the same terms as a single markt member.

Membership requires accepting EU rules and the supremacy of the EU courts. (like Switzerland) There is no halfway house.  

It's more about protecting standards than tarifs - non-membership requires checks at the border 

Japan and Canada have FTAs, and they don't have to accept EU rules and supremacy of the EU courts. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 7:58 AM, CapraIbex said:

The Brits deserve who they're vote for!

Actually they don't get what they vote for. Parliament does not come close to representing votes cast and the de-facto "election" for a new PM will be decided on by a small number of Conservative party members.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Japan and Canada have FTAs, and they don't have to accept EU rules and supremacy of the EU courts. 

Yes they have FTAs, but this is not synonymous with single market membership. Their goods still need to be examined by customs when they arrive at the EU border and checked for compliance even if no customs duties are to be applied. 

Goods for the EU market manufactured by them must comply with EU regulations which they have no say in.

Crucially, for the UK's service based economy their service industries do not have unfettered access to the single market area.

Their citizens have no automatic right to come to work in the EU, just as we have no rights to work there .