Stopped 4x Today

JimmyTheMook

32 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The joy of living in Isaan, nobody gives a sh1t where you come from. I've been stopped twice in 14 years, the last time I didn't have my license with me but the wife said we are on our way to visit someone in hospital, the copper smiled, saluted and waved us on.

I was stopped for speeding (not) cop said you go to fast no proof, wifey told them of my appointment at the hospital and got waved on.

Stopped two weeks ago in Bangkok,asked for my licence,gave him my IDP,he took it,looked at the front and without opening it handed back and said drive on.I am not sure he actually knew what he was looking at.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

a helmet cam is the best defence against getting ripped off  at a road block.  Same with cars, front and back dash cams.  It's amazing how often you just get waved through when they see that they are being recorded. 

sorry if this is off topic but have been trying to find a good dash cam (front/back) that can record day & night, my insurance it's up for renewal and it appears if one has a dash cam there is a discount/credit whatsoever, appreciate feedback

Not sure I understand what this thread is about. Motorcyclists only? Corrupt police demanding money for no good reason? People driving without licence or with no current rego or with defective vehicle or no helmet ... ?

I get stopped (Mazda 3) here in Prasat at the same spot about 4 or 5 times a week as I'm driving to or from brunch at PTT. Usually they either just wave me thru without stopping, or if I'm in a line of vehicles they glance at me thru the window & wave me on. About once a month I get asked to show my licence (usually elsewhere). No sweat.

Since these police checks became more common over the last couple of years, I notice the number of motorcyclists & their passengers driving without helmets has declined sharply. Not sure what people are complaining about.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

sorry if this is off topic but have been trying to find a good dash cam (front/back) that can record day & night, my insurance it's up for renewal and it appears if one has a dash cam there is a discount/credit whatsoever, appreciate feedback

I've just fitted a new combined front and read dash cam, my old one gave up a couple of weeks ago.  It's an EKLEVA combined duel camera, bought from Lazarda.  I think the cost was 1,100 Bhat.  So far it's performing well. 

34 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Not sure I understand what this thread is about. Motorcyclists only? Corrupt police demanding money for no good reason? People driving without licence or with no current rego or with defective vehicle or no helmet ... ?

Since these police checks became more common over the last couple of years, I notice the number of motorcyclists & their passengers driving without helmets has declined sharply. Not sure what people are complaining about.

Everything and anything. This is TV.

They only complain when there's an 'A' in the day though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is an easy solution to avoid paying a lot of money.

When they stop you the first time don't pay cash, insist on a ticket. They will collect your driver license and give you the ticket.

And for any future stop that ticket is your don't-pay-continue-card.

They can't collect your driver license anymore. They can only look at the ticket. And that's it.

Officially you should pay that ticket (I think) within 10 days. But I had it already a year or so in my pocket and never paid another fine. And when I finally paid it was the original amount - something like 400B (for a year).

I was told 4 days in Pattaya, and that’s what I did twice 

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When they stop you the first time don't pay cash, insist on a ticket. //

There is an easiest way: Just respect the road rules

and they will never ask you for money in these controls. 

For me:

9/10 of controls is Thai License check only;

1/10 is License + Tax registration sticker check.

10/10 is no fine given or money asked.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

There is an easiest way: Just respect the road rules

and they will never ask you for money in these controls. 

For me:

9/10 of controls is Thai License check only;

1/10 is License + Tax registration sticker check.

10/10 is no fine given or money asked.

For me most of the checks are about not driving on the left lane or driving on fly-over or underpass.

Often the left lane is full of parked cars. Changing all the time the lanes is more dangerous than staying permanently in the same lane. And I have a (relative) big bike to I am not so slow that I have to drive completely left.

And the fly-over and underpasses are a lot more convenient than waiting long times on red lights.

Is it all against the laws? Yes. Do I have a bad conscious about it? No.

I follow traffic rules like red lights, I stop for pedestrians, even with out red light, etc.

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:
8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When they stop you the first time don't pay cash, insist on a ticket. They will collect your driver license and give you the ticket.

They can't collect your driver license anymore. They can only look at the ticket. And that's it.

Officially you should pay that ticket (I think) within 10 days. But I had it already a year or so in my pocket and never paid another fine. And when I finally paid it was the original amount - something like 400B (for a year).

I was told 4 days in Pattaya, and that’s what I did twice 

4 days or 10 days or whatever might be the law. But does it cost extra if you are late, even very late? It seems not, at least I never paid more. That does not mean everybody should follow my "example". No, you should follow the law. But that's my experience and it worked for me in the past.

When I get stopped for a second time in a day (no ticket or tea money given, I have license, bike is registered, I wear a helmet) I just point behind me and say already stopped at such and such place and they wave me on. I can't remember ever having to get my wallet/license out a second time.

I, too, saw multiple road blocks, including police with masks on their faces like the highwaymen they are.

Under the overpass where Theppraya snakes around near the corner where you can go up to Pratumnak, they had about 15 bikes parked where they had taken them from people. Also, they pulled over a farang in a pick up truck for no visible reason.

17 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Look on Lazada/Ali Express . There are some good mirror cams with rear cameras. Be aware they are heavy, so the mirror may droop at every bump!

tuesdays and fridays , can read them like a book as its market day, trying to catch the old farang going to the market,i got stopped recently, no probs, thai girl behind me, no helmet, nothing got done, not even check for a licence, and she was on her way

Usually I wear or have the helmet with me. Rode in to the small town to get a couple cleaning supplies. Small shops off the main 

road didn’t have what was needed. To go to Tesco it’s about 1-1/2 balks.

Every once in awhile they have a stop. I wasn’t paying attention luckily some young men sitting eating yelled police,... tuned around 

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I've just fitted a new combined front and read dash cam, my old one gave up a couple of weeks ago.  It's an EKLEVA combined duel camera, bought from Lazarda.  I think the cost was 1,100 Bhat.  So far it's performing well. 

was it easy to install, it shows prices from 885 baht to 1569 baht and appears to be same product, quite confusing their pricing, thanks anyway

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

was it easy to install, it shows prices from 885 baht to 1569 baht and appears to be same product, quite confusing their pricing, thanks anyway

all fitted in under 5 minutes. Could not be easier. Rear camera is a bit of a pain to keep in place but a dab of Super Glue fixed it fine. Very pleased with the product, so far. 

• Thanks 1

Its not just bikes, the last few weeks seen lots of tickets being handed out, even got one for parking where I have parked for years every time I go to Jomtien beach,

OK I was in the wrong cost me 400 Baht.

they are putting in an extra two counters to pay your fines so trade must be good

Untitled.jpg

They where out this morning  on the southbound  Sukhumvit road just past Ambassador Hotel where the new motorway junction meets  Sukhumvit..its quite a regular place for them  there  (mornings) also on the northbound  carriageway  just before Ambassador (afternoons)  I didn't get stopped  today and shortly after passing the check point a big rainstorm descended  and washed them away ????

18 hours ago, sometime said:

even got one for parking where I have parked for years every time I go to Jomtien beach,

Notice the yellow and white kerb markings...that means you can only stop there for a short while..to drop people off or loading/unloading goods..or quick run into a shop ...not park for years !!!  ????????

parking.jpg.ae2a0c586b0422387d81e119d0a26061.jpg

Edited by johng

On 6/22/2019 at 10:13 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

totally inaccurate... they won't take cash go try it in pattaya they are all on a commission system to bonus their salaries... you might get a payoff for a dui if circumstances permit but not for a traffic ticket.  secondly you are suggesting letting them have your drivers for a year? good luck finding it later...

32 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

totally inaccurate... they won't take cash go try it in pattaya they are all on a commission system to bonus their salaries... you might get a payoff for a dui if circumstances permit but not for a traffic ticket.  secondly you are suggesting letting them have your drivers for a year? good luck finding it later...

I reported about my experience. It's up to each individual what they do with that information. You don't have to repeat what I do.

And in my case they always found my license - even after a year. It was always in one of those drawers and it seems they know their own "filing system".

• Like 1