Watchout all you Pattaya Bay Swimmers!

chicowoodduck

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Definitely an interesting topic. I am waiting to see comments. Should be interesting.

neeray, opposed to your expectations, this is going to be a very boring Topic unless you are interested in Biologie and Thai behaviour oveall. But we must start somewhere:

- How many door-knobs and other objects do we touch every day? A human hand as a perfect Bacteria-

Collector and Carrier. Passing the collection of Bacteria with every handshake.

- Thai's have it better. They have known for centuries that any sort of "Human-Touch" in a tropical environement is the fastest way to spread Bacteria around (except for aerial spread microbes, by caughing, for example).

- So, they greet each other with a "way" and take showers 3 times a day. Smart behaviour in a tropical climate. While us Neanderthal's still insist on shaking hands with everybody including his Uncle, not knowing where the hand has been last.

- The traditional "Western Handshake" goes back to Mideavel-Europe, when the "Handshake" was a rudimentary way to find out if the counterpart diden't hide any weaponery in his hand or "up his sleeve".

That's where the European-Handshake originated from, still making it a perfect instrument to spread unwanted Bacteria among friends as well as foes.

- The few tourists remaining, still venturing a 10 minute swim in Pattaya waters are not likely to accumulate more "Bacteria" then the average Farang shaking hands with 10 fellow Farangs on daily meetings on the Golf-Club.

This should help understanding why Thai's prefer to take at least 3 showers a day and reluctant to shake hands. Also should it be more understanable, that after intense "physical-contact", Thai's have a tendency to rush to the shower without much delay. Making European "afterplay" almost impossible, but making it harder for "unwanted bacteria" to find a permanent home, not wanted nor asked for, especially not in a tropical climate.

- What now? We shold "way" more often and shake hands less. We should always have a paper napkin in our hands while operating a door knob leading to a Toilet in a Tourist-Spot. Otherwise we might as well take a swim in Pattaya waters. 

Cheers.

3 hours ago, swissie said:

- The few tourists remaining, still venturing a 10 minute swim in Pattaya waters are not likely to accumulate more "Bacteria" then the average Farang shaking hands with 10 fellow Farangs on daily meetings on the Golf-Clu

Is that genuine fact or a spoony bomber "fact "?

The article in the OP says absolutely nothing -- "it only takes a 10-minute swim to get your skin coated in a fresh coat of bacteria. While that is not necessarily bad, some of that bacteria could be disease causing..." -- not necessarily bad; could be disease causing. You probably wouldn't want to swim in a commercial harbor, but swimming in a recreational area has obvious health benefits, from an exercise and physical activity perspective, especially when the alternative is to wallow on the beach with a large Chang/Leo and a cigarette in your hands. If the quoted article "sums up" the OP's feelings, there is little/no mentality (mental activity) involved.... 

The following is from another "article" on the benefits of swimming in the ocean (and I will at least provide a link to the source so that you can read it for yourself, unlike the nonsense OP. https://www.labellaverde.org/2018/10/30/health-benefits-swimming-sea/).  

Skin -- Seawater contains minerals such as magnesium, sodium, calcium, chloride and sulphate that work as natural cosmetics for our skin. Magnesium helps moisturise the skin and reduce inflammation, making it look fresh and vibrant. People with atopic skin problems like eczema or dryness are recommended to take regular baths in salted solutions or best recommended is to take a swim in the sea. This fluid treatment is broadly proven to improve skin condition and its overall hydration, with key benefits attributed to high-magnesium content from sea water. Wellbeing -- Swimming in the sea can actively improve your health and wellness with calming immersion and sunshine exposure. The elements activate the body’s healing mechanisms and support healing for diseases, asthma, bronchitis, arthritis and also localised aches and pains. Rich in magnesium, seawater also help to relieve stress, relax your muscles, promote deep sleep and spiritually cleanse your aura. Circulation -- Seawater is great for blood circulation in our bodies, from it’s nutrient mix and physical exertion when exercising. Therapy known as ‘Thalassotherapy’ is known to improve blood cycle and circulation by restoring essential micro-elements within our bodies that are depleted by poor diets, stress or induced by environmental pollution.

Thanks to the folks who posted those links. So whilst the extract originally posted could lead one to believe that there are some dangers you need to read the article as a whole to put it into true context, rather than just scaremongerig.  Indeed the article itself actual stated that it was "work in progress".

However, IMHO, it was the final sentence from the full article that is worth taking notice of;  namely " So be sure to shower after swimming in the ocean, and try not to get any seawater in your mouth".

I have been living here very long but I have never been in the water here. Alone when I image what many of the people sitting in the sun chairs use as toilet... I don't even blame them because there are not many other options. 

15 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Never mind bacteria, water near Pattaya might as well be battery acid with all the toxins. Even the bacteria likely croaks in that soup. I ain't getting in there.

Never go swimming with the brown trouts, they are plentiful in pattaya and jomtien. swim off the islands is ok, if you feel the need. 

20 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Never go swimming with the brown trouts, they are plentiful in pattaya and jomtien. swim off the islands is ok, if you feel the need. 

Any independant studies about the quality of the water in let's say Ko larn ?

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Don' know, but the islands are much cleaner and not a problem to swim there, 

if you feel the need, but thats just me. :jap:

I swam off Koh Larn recently and it seemed ok fairly clean.

Was having a good time until I got stung by a jelly fish on my neck.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:18 AM, prb said:
On 6/25/2019 at 3:10 PM, stanleycoin said:

Any independant studies about the quality of the water in let's say Ko larn?

Ko Larn functions as a sort of reverse u-bend, helping to keep the turds inshore. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:53 AM, Skallywag said:

Once I see dead fish floating - then I would stop ocean swimming. 

Wear goggles and of course don't drink the water

from Google: https://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/the-health-benefits-of-sea-water

I was swimming in Phuket of one of the islands and there were several dead fish floating on the surface.  I got out asap!!!  

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, bkk6060 said:

I swam off Koh Larn recently and it seemed ok fairly clean.

Was having a good time until I got stung by a jelly fish on my neck.

Water can look and seem clean, but it can have pollution and toxic stuff in high levels in it.  It can also look dirty, muddy and brow, yet actually be 'clean' and not polluted at all.  We can't go by what it looks like.

7 minutes ago, Kim J said:

This article looks like just more nonsense to me, the world is full of such duff and useless information these days.

Most likely this has been pushed by a group of 'scientists' in order to get a seat on another public funded gravy train, all in the name of 'research' of course.

It is nonsense indeed.  I too am sick of seeing these kind of attention grabbing articles popping up constantly.. with little to no content, padded out with waffle and lots of 'probably, could be, might have, possibly, believe, may have, etc etc'.  

You are right too.. these are NOT real scientific reports at all.  They are done by someone with the agenda to just make a bit of 'interesting' reading to carry their advertisements or promote their business / organisation.  They give real science a bad name!!

Swimming in the sea is beneficial to our skin.  The salt kills bacteria, the minerals in the water are helpful for the skin, and after I have been swimming my eczema clear up for several weeks.   It is obvious that swimming in polluted water would be bad for us and anyone needing this 'scientific' article to realise that is an idiot.  

Little do naive tourists know that the very hotel pool you go for a swim in is filled with bacteria and viruses, a layer of scum and excrement multipying under the warmth of the sun.  After all, everyone who goes into the water gets the crack of their ass cleaned out, not to mention all the sweat and grim off their bodies and kids pissing in the pool.  And people wonder why their trip is ruined with an eye or ear infection.

Archived