Man killed awaiting help at Bangkok roadside

webfact

Police on the road at night??????    I saw a police car last night on the Ayutthaya highway, parked on the side of the road, lights flashing, cop asleep in the car.  I was also in a taxi the other night, went through a Police check point, police checked the taxi driver, in the meantime, 4 motorcycles went through, no rear lights or helmets, 3 cars no rear lights, great policing in Thailand, safety is not an important issue here.

I would love to be a fly on the wall of the police training, would be very interesting to see watch they teach.

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

... Never get out of a broken down vehicle, and if on a freeway, expect to be rear ended!

Wasn't an off-duty cop sleeping in his car while parked kerbside in Bangkok killed after some Thai soap star planted her Benz in it? If I ever my car became immobilized on any road here, I wouldn't be in it or anywhere near it while waiting for a tow truck.

rule 1 when stopped at any roadside never never never stay in the car, and never never never stand behind or too near the front of the car .... because people rear end cars !

RIP to the poor fella who was hit by another car illegally using the emergency lane.

Charge with reckless driving causing death and jail the bar steward for a good ten years. 

But, of course as the way of this corrupt and horrible world little to no justice will ensue.

53 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

it's not a 'rule', it's sensible personal safety awareness.   

I think you have missed the point entirely. Whilst I agree with what you say as it is sensible, Thais in general have no comprehension of personal safety awareness, they would rather put their faith in Buddhist trinkets to protect them. Quite why they never learn when so many get killed on the roads, thus disproving that mumbo jumbo is down to education.  You and I were no doubt first given help and support on our own safety by our parents.  Here in Thailand those type of parents are in the minority so hence the safety rules of life that you and I are taught are, as I said previously, not applicable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Doesn't seem the case here... in the photo you can see inside the Merc - looks like the film / tint is not too dark etc.. 

Maybe the Merc Driver was drunk; not uncommon here, but yet to be determined, or had simply fallen asleep; again, not uncommon here and again, yet to be determined. 

At least the Merc driver hasn't claimed brake failure or something stuck under the pedal.

What of the poor deceased? can it be assumed he was outside of his car when it was hit and thus also hit at the same time? If so, his fatal mistake was to remain in a vulnerable position. 

There is a tragic lack of information and education for regular every day folk who use the roads, info-mercials (information commercials) at key times throughout the day (i.e. prime time) have the potential to reach millions of folk with the simplest of safety messages. When the RTA stats are so poor and damning I fail to understand why a government who care about the issue don't employ this tactic, unless of course they don't really give a damn.

Information is not the problem.  It will always be ignored.  For example, take the expressway from Rama II to Bang Na.  The 'emergency lane' is covered with yellow hash lines with a large red and white roundel every 50 meters or so indicating 'No Entry'.  There are always vehicles speeding along this lane even in light traffic. The lack of common sense is the real cause.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

We're not helped by the emergency lane often being narrower than the other lanes (cost saving), so it's impossible to, for example, safely change a tyre.

Never ever attempt a roadside repair on a motorway/expressway.  Call the emergency number and wait for assistance.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madmen said:

Haven't seen a Black late model benze here yet without super dark tint including the windshield. I'm surprised they can see anything especially at sunset/night

Darkened windows are illegal, but whether something is illegal or not has absolutely no relevance in Thailand.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

6 hours ago, kotsak said:

Not surprised at all when you see how they drive on the emergency lane.. Boils my blood everytime I see them doing that. ????

..they should check the drivers' brain output as well.

5 hours ago, kotsak said:

Not surprised at all when you see how they drive on the emergency lane.. Boils my blood everytime I see them doing that. ????

I have become numb to these stories after reading about them almost on a daily basis.  Just the other day a pregnant Thai was taken out...Dam idiots here.  Life has less value than a bug when it hits your windshield.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Doesn't seem the case here... in the photo you can see inside the Merc - looks like the film / tint is not too dark etc.. 

Maybe the Merc Driver was drunk; not uncommon here, but yet to be determined, or had simply fallen asleep; again, not uncommon here and again, yet to be determined. 

At least the Merc driver hasn't claimed brake failure or something stuck under the pedal.

What of the poor deceased? can it be assumed he was outside of his car when it was hit and thus also hit at the same time? If so, his fatal mistake was to remain in a vulnerable position. 

There is a tragic lack of information and education for regular every day folk who use the roads, info-mercials (information commercials) at key times throughout the day (i.e. prime time) have the potential to reach millions of folk with the simplest of safety messages. When the RTA stats are so poor and damning I fail to understand why a government who care about the issue don't employ this tactic, unless of course they don't really give a damn.

There are no  votes in enforcing the laws only negative votes

6 hours ago, kotsak said:

They even pass police vehicles like that

Put all police officers on a % of the fines they collect and shoot those taking bribes and some officers  they MIGHT enforce a law or two

Time to ban the tinting of windows.  A friend of mine has to wind his window down to see oncoming traffic before joining the main road from a side road late afternoon early evening time. I didn't see any window tinting during my recent visit to UK ......... but then the UK road deaths are nowhere near Thailand's 7000 so far this year !!

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lack of information?? When I went to renew my 5 year driving licence, I had to sit through a road safety film for about an hour. There were 2 Thai men in there. One of them was asleep across 3 seats and the other was playing on his phone. It's not lack of information, they just don't give a toss.

5 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Does anyone ever think Thailand will see actual law enforcement? 

And here I thought the break down lanes were actually lanes to be used in case of excess traffic, thus redefining emergency traffic lane 

Not in this century

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Sir Swagman said:

I carry a F off strobe for just such an occasion. Haven’t had to use it yet, and in no hurry to test it as it may be seen as an aiming point.

I have one and used it once on a long journey traveling overnight with the tailgate down, and it worked a treat!

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

They're idiots on the freeways....there have been so many fatalities from idiots going flat out in the emergency lane....and as always, no-one cares.

Never get out of a broken down vehicle, and if on a freeway, expect to be rear ended!

The rules in the UK are to leave the vehicle and get well away from it behind any safety barriers. I was class 1 goods vehicle driver and we were not allowed to stay in the vehicle under any circumstances despite the size of the trucks we drove 44 tonnes.

13 minutes ago, Humpy said:

Time to ban the tinting of windows.  A friend of mine has to wind his window down to see oncoming traffic before joining the main road from a side road late afternoon early evening time. I didn't see any window tinting during my recent visit to UK ......... but then the UK road deaths are nowhere near Thailand's 7000 so far this year !!

And you've got more chance of seeing hens teeth than bright sunshine in the UK. lol

There is a restriction of the % of the tint here, but TIT.