"British" man fallen on hard times in Bangkok set to be repatriated

Jonathan Fairfield

"British" man fallen on hard times in Bangkok set to be repatriated

i2.jpg

Image: Wanlop Duangcharoen

A Facebook post indicated that a British man was now in the custody of the Lumpini police in Bangkok after being found destitute. 

Rumor was rife in comments that this might be a man who came to Thailand with money and who met a Thai woman who relieved him of his money. 

Many Thais were speculating and sharing the story after pitiful pictures were posted online. The post had been shared more than 1,200 times.

Wanlop Duangcharoen said that he was now with the Lumpini police and that contact had been made with his embassy. 

Comments suggested that the man is called Robert Clark Penna and he is from the United Kingdom. 

People commenting on the photos on Facebook suggested that the man's family were coming to Thailand to collect him. 

i3.jpg

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-25

• Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

Looking at those pics this is about as bad as it gets.

I use to wonder how on earth people could get into such a mess but can see now that some bad luck, bad decisions etc, and it can happen.

A neighbour of my parents - over 25 years ago, very wealthy, got into gambling. His boat went, then his business & then, the marital home.

You would have to think addiction or mental health issues are contributing to this guy's situation. Would you lay on a floor that dirty. Even if you are destitute but of sound mind, you could try push away the rubbish and debris before laying down. Unfortunately is only one of the many who need some assistance.

16 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

You would have to think addiction or mental health issues are contributing to this guy's situation. Would you lay on a floor that dirty. Even if you are destitute but of sound mind, you could try push away the rubbish and debris before laying down. Unfortunately is only one of the many who need some assistance.

I think it's fair to say he would have lost the plot, goes without saying. When he comes around he's hardly likely to start chatting to people about Brexit, the weak pound and the cricket world cup.

In fairness to the embassies there are so many of these distress cases they can't dole out taxpayers  money to all of them, so contacting next of kin is pretty much it.

The family will be up for extra costs including overstay fine maybe even food and medicines not to mention a new passport.

Farang passports sold on the street are now almost worthless due to advances in security&technology so no quick cash there.

• Like 2

What ever happened you are responsible for your self and always have a plan b.  

He could just go embassy and contact family 

Why end up as a street bum??? 

There is more to the story that we know and hear of... 

To meny come here with little money and end up with nothing 

Remember this.. 

You can't live a champagne life on a water budget...  

• Like 1