Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

On 6/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, NCC1701A said:

Everyone laughs at me but I have been saying this for years.

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

So right. When going to the beach, I dress for the beach. When going to the temple or government office, I leave the beach wear at home and "dress up", which to some is a mystery.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Benmart said:

So right. When going to the beach, I dress for the beach. When going to the temple or government office, I leave the beach wear at home and "dress up", which to some is a mystery.

You obviously have never been to Immigration on casual Friday.

I think it's fair to expect people not to dress like slobs when vising a government office. Way too many show up looking like they've slept under a bridge, complete with Chang singlets and dirty shorts.

12 hours ago, madmen said:

In Australia like most countries government positions are know as public servants meaning my tax helps pay their wage and they work for ME so no I don't put on fancy dress

And there's the rub. In Thailand government workers think they're top of the pops.

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Respect must be earned. Fancy clothes only earn respect if you are the designer of them.

What world do you live in?  Respect is a given for figures in authority in any country and internationally for the Pope and Dali Lama and Elton John.  

When the temperature dips below 26 C, I'll start wearing long trousers to immigration. Maybe the immigration staff should start wearing coats and ties and pant suits for the women. After all fair is fair and a strong professional look should be expected.

2 minutes ago, bronzedude said:

When the temperature dips below 26 C, I'll start wearing long trousers to immigration. Maybe the immigration staff should start wearing coats and ties and pant suits for the women. After all fair is fair and a strong professional look should be expected.

Who told you that Thai Immigration is fair?  So actually fair has nothing to do with Thai Immigration.  

I doubt it means us going in wearing long trousers or suits.

I have seen some very dirty, untidy looking individuals at immigration, banks and supermarkets.

It only takes the minority to give a bad impression of the majority.

On 6/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, NCC1701A said:

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

When I first came here many years ago I was told you had to dress smartly if you were entering a Government Building and have always complied. Maybe new arrivals who have not worked in the Government sector have not received this information!

37 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What world do you live in?  Respect is a given for figures in authority in any country and internationally for the Pope and Dali Lama and Elton John.  

Don't confuse fear of violence/incarceration/spanish inquisition/etc with respect. Besides the cape Dalai is wearing probably wouldn't pass at Jomthien.

“Immigration encourages smartness” I don’t blame them judging by some of the things I’ve read on here. It’s about a lot more besides how to appropriately dress in a government building

On 6/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, NCC1701A said:

Thai don't do smart casual. Shorts and tee shirts are for poor people.

Hilarious... I only ever wear shorts and tee shirt.. I'm definitely not poor.. Long trousers can't make a person rich... 

25 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Don't confuse fear of violence/incarceration/spanish inquisition/etc with respect. Besides the cape Dalai is wearing probably wouldn't pass at Jomthien.

I'm not confusing anything.  I'm not afraid of authority figures in the West.  I take off my hat in church, genuflect when walking in front of the alter, call police - officer or sir.  

On 6/30/2019 at 2:58 PM, RJRS1301 said:

No shorts on men. ?? Is this Thailand?? "long shorts" are worn by men all over Thailand

You could not make this up , hilarious .

Big Joke ..

On 6/30/2019 at 9:51 AM, NCC1701A said:

Perhaps they could lead by example and issue immigration staff the correct size uniforms so going to visit these gormless sallow faced Gollumesque like individuals is less off-putting.

24 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm not confusing anything.  I'm not afraid of authority figures in the West.  I take off my hat in church, genuflect when walking in front of the alter, call police - officer or sir.  

Hey knock yourself out if it makes you feel good. I can't even be arsed to go into church, that particular brand of fairytales ain't up my alley. Popo I used to call "you" where I came from. It ain't a country where people kowtow. but if it floats your boat, go ahead. Just don't expect others to kneel to authoritaaahhh.

17 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Hey knock yourself out if it makes you feel good. I can't even be arsed to go into church, that particular brand of fairytales ain't up my alley. Popo I used to call "you" where I came from. It ain't a country where people kowtow. but if it floats your boat, go ahead. Just don't expect others to kneel to authoritaaahhh.

Your country is worse than most.  But you want to do your bigot thing again so I'll not participate.  I'm not a believer but I don't denigrate others religions and I respect their beliefs same as I respect Thai temples and Thai government offices by wearing long pants and a shirt with a collar.  

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Your country is worse than most.  But you want to do your bigot thing again so I'll not participate.  I'm not a believer but I don't denigrate others religions and I respect their beliefs same as I respect Thai temples and Thai government offices by wearing long pants and a shirt with a collar.  

If there were more foreigners like yourself there would be far fewer problems with the Thais overall.

Archived