Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

18 hours ago, DrTuner said:
On 7/1/2019 at 4:04 AM, madmen said:

In Australia like most countries government positions are know as public servants meaning my tax helps pay their wage and they work for ME so no I don't put on fancy dress

And there's the rub. In Thailand government workers think they're top of the pops.

Actually, no !..... someone people believe they don't owe anyone respect and act with flagrant disregard towards others....  This is why Immigration have felt this message necessary - Thats the the 'rub'.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

I most certainly do not think I am privileged in any way, but respect is a two way thing. What is wrong in wearing a smart pair of knee length shorts and a decent T shirt as I and many others always do here? That is appropriate dress for the climate. Next thing will you be suggesting we should all attend immigration in tradition Thai costume?

No.. Immigration are just asking that visitors to immigration dress appropriately, wear trousers and not rock up at a government office dressed like a slob - hyperbolae implying Thai Costume will be requested next is just idiotic. 

19 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

Thai citizens do not need to go to immigration to request an extension of stay etc.  We need something from the IO.  If it helps getting it faster, easier etc by dressing in a pair of slacks and a decent shirt, it won't kill me to do so for a few times a year.  

It is expected of Thai's when visiting government offices to dress smarty, or at least show effort they are dressing smartly - this is most commonly noticed as no sarongs and no shorts... i.e. land office, DLT, Amphur offices etc... As you mentioned Miami007 - its hardly a hardship to dress appropriately... 

4 hours ago, Kim J said:

Personally I always conduct myself in a polite manner where ever I am. However I have constantly seen over the years where foreigners are expected to fully respect 'Thai culture', but if Thai people expect special respect from their foreign guests I feel it is time for them to start leading by example and set the bar that they expect others to attain.

In Pattaya and generally around Thailand I now constantly experience bad manners, disrespect, corruption and dishonesty from Thai people, Every time I go out on the roads I see Thai men urinating in public. Walk along the beach in the morning and you can see drunk people using the sand as a public toilet. When it comes to dress code, how many Thai men do you see going around shirtless? You only need to look how most of them drive, does that demonstrate manners and respect towards others? Look at the way many of them litter and dump piles of rubbish at the side of the road everywhere, such people clearly do not even have self respect.

Thai people need to get their own house in order first and start showing respect to others rather than just sitting demanding special respect from foreigners for this mythical 'Thai culture' that most likely died out decades ago.

I most certainly do not think I am privileged in any way, but respect is a two way thing. What is wrong in wearing a smart pair of knee length shorts and a decent T shirt as I and many others always do here? That is appropriate dress for the climate. Next thing will you be suggesting we should all attend immigration in tradition Thai costume?

Not sure what bad driving, locals pissing on the beach or the village dump has to do with foreigners dressing more respectably when attending a government office.

Maybe it's more about your perception of paradise lost?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Actually, no !..... someone people believe they don't owe anyone respect and act with flagrant disregard towards others....  This is why Immigration have felt this message necessary - Thats the the 'rub'.

tenor.gif?itemid=5412478

30 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Nothing at all to do with "paradise lost" as you say. It is about common standards of decency and manners. How can one group of people expect others to treat them with the Utmost respect when that is seldom if ever reciprocated.

Only a couple of weeks ago myself and Mrs Kim were walking down Pattaya Beach Rd early one morning and saw a Thai woman defecate on the beach. Had that been a tourist how long do you think it would have been before the self righteous ones would have been circulating pictures and racist propaganda on social media? Instead they just went about their daily business and this vile excuse of a woman simply went unnoticed. Maybe you are prepared to accept double standards, but I never will. 

Then its quite fortunate that one group of people [The Thai's] do not treat me with the same disrespect as some of another group of people [Westerners] I see walking around and behaving poorly and dressed like slobs... 

In dressing appropriately where expected and not playing up we as Westerns are afforded a level of treatment ranging from polite indifference to favorable, its one of the plus sides of living here. 

A reasonable attitude is all it takes to get along here. 

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Many of us have Thai friends and family and do formal occasions so the need is there to have appropriate attire not to be an embarrassment to our Thai family. 

Absolutely. But I dont have Thai friends or family so I just dont need anything more appropriate than shorts and a t-shirt. I'm clean and tidy and that's all that should matter to anyone.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Absolutely. But I dont have Thai friends or family so I just dont need anything more appropriate than shorts and a t-shirt. I'm clean and tidy and that's all that should matter to anyone.

You need it to go to Immigration.  

38 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Not so far. If it does become a requirement in the future then I certainly wont be doing it.

In grade school I wore a uniform.  In high school I wore a uniform.  College I wore sport coat, blue button down cotton shirt, regimental tie, khaki slacks and penny loafers. Working at my first job we were required to wear a white shirt and conservative suit preferably tailor made, wing tips and carry an umbrella.  The army dressed me in combat fatigues and dress uniforms after the army I continued to wear suite and tie every day for 40 years.  I lived in Florida and we still wore wool suits daily as did anyone of importance.   

So you would rather leave Thailand than put on trousers and a shirt with a collar?  It's not hard to believe you don't have any Thai friends.  

Below college

college.png

In primary school I wore jeans, in high school I wore jeans, in university I wore jeans, at work I wore jeans. Now that I'm retired I wear beach shorts. That's what tourists wear and that's what the "non-immigrant" means. It's the official trendywear of the perpetual tourists. The civil servants serving my perpetual tourist arse should wear their uniforms and go yes sir right away sir oui bwana. Ugh.

2 hours ago, Kim J said:

Nothing at all to do with "paradise lost" as you say. It is about common standards of decency and manners. How can one group of people expect others to treat them with the Utmost respect when that is seldom if ever reciprocated.

Only a couple of weeks ago myself and Mrs Kim were walking down Pattaya Beach Rd early one morning and saw a Thai woman defecate on the beach. Had that been a tourist how long do you think it would have been before the self righteous ones would have been circulating pictures and racist propaganda on social media? Instead they just went about their daily business and this vile excuse of a woman simply went unnoticed. Maybe you are prepared to accept double standards, but I never will. 

It's THEIR country and if a local shits on their beach, it's still THEIR beach. There's plenty of decent and respectful people in Thailand, it's just there's not a lot of them in Pattaya. It's a shame that you chose to paint with such a broad, jaded brush.

BTW, this "vile excuse of a woman" may be mentally challenged. In fact, based on the fact that the huge majority of Thai people don't shit in public, I would say that like the woman that used to bathe naked in the moat in Chiang Mai during rush hour traffic, the woman you observed was similarly handicapped. Oh yes, the locals in Chiang Mai didn't rush to intervene either.

Now, if you want to have a rant about how Thailand has no safety net for such individuals, then maybe you'll get my attention but for now, your righteous indignation and tunnel-vision needs working on.

If you dont actually own trousers or a collared shirt it would be quite hard. I dont own either and I am delighted that I never go anywhere where I would need to own them.

I dont own any sort of anorak or jacket either, and so all my overseas trips are to countries with a suitable climate at the time of year.

On the plane I sit in business class in exactly the same type of shorts and t-shirt that I wear every day here (and the airlines have never objected), and on arrival if the weather at my destination is a bit nippy - as it can be at 6am at Heathrow even in the middle of summer - I just slip on a sweatshirt for an hour.

As for courts, the last time I was in one of those was about 45 years ago for a speeding ticket. I have no intention of ever needing to go to one again for the rest of my life. As I have no business interests here and no Thai partners I dont think that this will be hard to achieve.

I was just talking about immigration or any government building (in Thailand) you don’t have to dress up but at least put some pants on and don’t walk in their looking like it’s a day at the beach. I was just using courts in the USA as an example any government building. Just maintain a decent appearance. I like to where shorts every day too but if I’m going to immigration or any government building to handle business I at least put on a pair of jeans and a decent looking collared T-shirt it doesn’t have to be a collared shirt but just something decent don’t show up in your work out clothes it’s not difficult or too much to ask. Courts in the United States can be a lot more strict about that then they are here in Thailand. The last time I was in a US court was for a speeding ticket as well years ago.

1 minute ago, Mel52 said:

I was just talking about immigration or any government building (in Thailand) you don’t have to dress up but at least put some pants on and don’t walk in their looking like it’s a day at the beach.

You dont seem to understand. I live in a beach resort. I dont work. I am a permanent tourist. Every day is indeed a day on the beach for me.

Any business or government organisation that doesnt grasp that simple fact is a bit daft to say the least. If they want me to stay here and spend my money here then they need to bend themselves to my requirements, not try to bend me to theirs. I am not married to Thailand by any stretch of the imagination.

I am clean and tidy and I dress in a manner that is acceptable in every shop, restaurant, hotel, bank, hospital and other business in town, and that really should be enough for anyone. Even more so if their main business is dealing with tourists like me, such as is Immigration's main business.

58 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

In primary school I wore jeans, in high school I wore jeans, in university I wore jeans, at work I wore jeans. Now that I'm retired I wear beach shorts. That's what tourists wear and that's what the "non-immigrant" means. It's the official trendywear of the perpetual tourists. The civil servants serving my perpetual tourist arse should wear their uniforms and go yes sir right away sir oui bwana. Ugh.

I'm not a tourist.  I've always thought Thai Immigration was there to protect Thai people from low lives entering Thailand.  I never thought they were there to serve me.  

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

You dont seem to understand. I live in a beach resort. I dont work. I am a permanent tourist. Every day is indeed a day on the beach for me.

Any business or government organisation that doesnt grasp that simple fact is a bit daft to say the least. If they want me to stay here and spend my money here then they need to bend themselves to my requirements, not try to bend me to theirs. I am not married to Thailand by any stretch of the imagination.

I am clean and tidy and I dress in a manner that is acceptable in every shop, restaurant, hotel, bank, hospital and other business in town, and that really should be enough for anyone. Even more so if their main business is dealing with tourists like me, such as is Immigration's main business.

Shorts and tee shirt are not appropriate at Temples, Palaces or government offices.  

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm not a tourist.  I've always thought Thai Immigration was there to protect Thai people from low lives entering Thailand.  I never thought they were there to serve me.  

Unless you're on PR or naturalized Thai, you are on temporary permit, i.e. tourist. Check your passport if in doubt. The immigration office in Jomthien has nothing to do with people entering Thailand, but all to do with making the tourists jump various inane hoops and collecting tea money. 

34 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Unless you're on PR or naturalized Thai, you are on temporary permit, i.e. tourist. Check your passport if in doubt. The immigration office in Jomthien has nothing to do with people entering Thailand, but all to do with making the tourists jump various inane hoops and collecting tea money. 

Nope.  1.  I entered on a long stay visa for the purpose of retirement.  2.  I entered Thailand and was checked by Thai Immigration to make sure I was not a low life.  3.  I go to an Immigration office once a year to make sure I'm not a low life and am allowed to retire here one more year.  4.  I don't have to pay tea money because I wear long pants and white shirt to Immigration office (my opinion). I spent 12 minutes total at Immigration last year.  ????  The first time I came to Thailand I worked for and with the Thai army and was not a tourist.  

34 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Nope.  1.  I entered on a long stay visa for the purpose of retirement.  2.  I entered Thailand and was checked by Thai Immigration to make sure I was not a low life.  3.  I go to an Immigration office once a year to make sure I'm not a low life and am allowed to retire here one more year.  4.  I don't have to pay tea money because I wear long pants and white shirt to Immigration office (my opinion). I spent 12 minutes total at Immigration last year.  ????  The first time I came to Thailand I worked for and with the Thai army and was not a tourist.  

I have resided in Thailand for several years and at no time was ever given any test by immigration that would identify me or anyone else as a "low life."  

Maybe it was something you said or your physical appearance that would make immigration administer such a test.  Good to hear you passed their "low life" test.  Actually, I have met a few immigration officers who would find it very difficult to pass a low life test.

As far as immigration processing your one year visa extension in 12 minutes, would indicate someone at immigration is giving you preferential treatment.  Generally, people will do special favors at immigration for monetary compensation or as a favor to someone who has a relative working in immigration.

Anyway, good for you for having the foresight to wear long pants and a white shirt to the immigration office.  I'm sure there are many posters that appreciate your advise.    

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Not being prepared to make an effort to be respectful may be one the reasons you don't have Thai friends... Just sayin'....

Clean and tidy is all very well, but clean and tidy shorts & T-shirt are frowned upon in government offices...  hence the message to 'dress smart'....  But no one is twisting anyone's arm, people are free to dress how they like. However, when immigration or any other office treat these 'rebels' less than favorably I wonder if these same people would then be first to claim the 'racism' card, and snivel they are being treated unfairly, maybe even start a TV thread about poor treatment !!!

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not being prepared to make an effort to be respectful may be one the reasons you don't have Thai friends... Just sayin'....

The reason I dont have any Thai friends is that I'm not interested in having any.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Shorts and tee shirt are not appropriate at Temples, Palaces or government offices.  

Great. I dont go to any such places apart from the Jomtien tax office and the Pattaya DMV office, neither of which has any problems with the way I dress. Indeed I see many Thais wearing shorts in both places.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:48 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

* Prostitutes are legal in Nevada, not in Pattaya.

* You can legally buy alcohol 24/7 in Nevada, not Pattaya.

* If they're going to play golf, why not play on the 185 courses in Phoenix (November - May)?

* California has nice beaches, sunny weather, better food from all around the world and it's *cool*, not unbearably hot.

If people were "smart", then why would they go to Pattaya? ????

They go to Patts maybe because the hookers resort guides are cheaper ?

Who gave you the pearl necklace?
[emoji6]

In grade school I wore a uniform.  In high school I wore a uniform.  College I wore sport coat, blue button down cotton shirt, regimental tie, khaki slacks and penny loafers. Working at my first job we were required to wear a white shirt and conservative suit preferably tailor made, wing tips and carry an umbrella.  The army dressed me in combat fatigues and dress uniforms after the army I continued to wear suite and tie every day for 40 years.  I lived in Florida and we still wore wool suits daily as did anyone of importance.   

So you would rather leave Thailand than put on trousers and a shirt with a collar?  It's not hard to believe you don't have any Thai friends.  

Below college
college.png.f87c4c2067f723a50d11c3e223a06eb9.png

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/30/2019 at 10:55 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Stylish well pressed shorts, ironed shirt, quality shoes. Smart casual

If you dress like that in Jomtien, people will think you're a creature from outer space. 

14 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Thai citizens do not need to go to immigration to request an extension of stay etc.  We need something from the IO.  If it helps getting it faster, easier etc by dressing in a pair of slacks and a decent shirt, it won't kill me to do so for a few times a year.  

Perhaps doing the extension on Christmas day and attend wearing a full Santa outfit and dispense gifts to all and sundry would get the job done smoothly.

Where can I borrow a sleigh?

Archived