Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Your country is worse than most. 

It sure is. It was also recently selected as #1 happiest country in the world. Not that I buy that either. Here's the (respected) president receiving his kowtows from the citizens:

swvw5xih_y6_lO2al8DstT3L_TfQcnK2rsnFtoKm

You may kneel to him, I shall approve.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, luckyluke said:

For me it is all of these mentioned : dressing, talking, acting.

But we are all different. 

For instance being Belgian, it is for the majority of us an abomination to see somebody in shorts with shoes, add to this black socks and it becomes a "monstrosity". 

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.  In this case transpose Rome with Bangkok.  You're in Thailand, get over your little hangups.

11 hours ago, mikosan said:

I shall continue wearing smart shorts and a polo shirt to immigration and the bank and my embassy and just about anywhere else I chose, as I always have done, without any issues whatsoever.  In fact I'm off to do my 90 day in the next couple of hours and that's exactly how I shall be dressed. I can't fit into my 3 pieces suits any more, anyway!  Look around you, the locals are dressed worse than most of the expats are.

And I'll quote my own post above:  Actually, today, just to see what would happen, I went to immigration wearing below knee army style camouflage shorts, a completely contrasting bright purple golf shirt and thongs (jandles, flip flops, or whatever you call them that you wear on your feet, not what you wear to cover your nether regions).  I was a fashion disaster.  I smiled nicely at and gave a respectful, but not too respectful, wai to the lady immigration officer and used my very best Thai, which is awful, to say hello and ask how she was.  She replied in good English, with a smile and I was in and out in about 2 minutes. I don't think she even noticed what I was wearing, although the 'emperor's new clothes' may not have been appropriate.

6 minutes ago, mikosan said:

And I'll quote my own post above:  Actually, today, just to see what would happen, I went to immigration wearing below knee army style camouflage shorts, a completely contrasting bright purple golf shirt and thongs (jandles, flip flops, or whatever you call them that you wear on your feet, not what you wear to cover your nether regions).

Stop. You're turning me on. Milan will be beside itself.????

Really how hard is it to put a pair of long pants on and a collared shirt once in a while when you visit immigration or any government building it’s not much different in the states especially in our courts. Some of the things people complain about man.

I wear my eddie bauer convertible travel pants, button down shirt, and walking shoes.

Carry a backpack, then when leaving immigration can take off my button down shirt (have t-shirt underneath) , unzip the legs on my convertible pants, take off my shoes and socks and put on my sliders. Stash the shirt and shoes in the backpack and walk to the bus stop or grab a motorbike taxi in comfort.  Easy peasy 55

56 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

Really how hard is it to put a pair of long pants on and a collared shirt once in a while when you visit immigration or any government building it’s not much different in the states especially in our courts.

If you dont actually own trousers or a collared shirt it would be quite hard. I dont own either and I am delighted that I never go anywhere where I would need to own them.

I dont own any sort of anorak or jacket either, and so all my overseas trips are to countries with a suitable climate at the time of year.

On the plane I sit in business class in exactly the same type of shorts and t-shirt that I wear every day here (and the airlines have never objected), and on arrival if the weather at my destination is a bit nippy - as it can be at 6am at Heathrow even in the middle of summer - I just slip on a sweatshirt for an hour.

As for courts, the last time I was in one of those was about 45 years ago for a speeding ticket. I have no intention of ever needing to go to one again for the rest of my life. As I have no business interests here and no Thai partners I dont think that this will be hard to achieve.

If you dont actually own trousers or a collared shirt it would be quite hard. I dont own either and I am delighted that I never go anywhere where I would need to own them.
I dont own any sort of anorak or jacket either, and so all my overseas trips are to countries with a suitable climate at the time of year.
On the plane I sit in business class in exactly the same type of shorts and t-shirt that I wear every day here (and the airlines have never objected), and on arrival if the weather at my destination is a bit nippy - as it can be at 6am at Heathrow even in the middle of summer - I just slip on a sweatshirt for an hour.

As for courts, the last time I was in one of those was about 45 years ago for a speeding ticket. I have no intention of ever needing to go to one again for the rest of my life. As I have no business interests here and no Thai partners I dont think that this will be hard to achieve.
Good man!!!!!! F em!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Aftet 28 pages, its clear TV posters must be the smartest dressers, they don't frequent girly bars, take hookers, have one for a wife, and don't have their assets in some one elses name. But they want respect. 555!

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Many of us have Thai friends and family and do formal occasions so the need is there to have appropriate attire not to be an embarrassment to our Thai family.  At Granny's funeral I carried the thing around the temple 9 times because  Granny and I were friends since the 1960's.  I was glad I had long pants for the photo session if nothing else.  

22 hours ago, poohy said:

Thanks you your advice i will get waxed on way there 

Now where do you suggest i affix my medals left right or centre i dont want to appear low class

If you haven't got enough to go all the way across I wouldn't bother. 

18 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I don't think i own a pair of long trousers.

There are some very good tailors in Thailand, if you had not noticed.

Would sir like full or half length silk lining?

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

dont actually own trousers or a collared shirt

Rebel without a cause...or trousers haha ... good to hear, i just don't want to buck the system anymore

20 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

At one time, Thailand was a dream location for westerners.  Those days are over folks.

You mean there was time before visa extensions and 90-day reports? When was that golden age?

On 6/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, NCC1701A said:

Everyone laughs at me but I have been saying this for years.

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

Good point - I feel that we "Westerners" are so glad to have escaped the suit-and-tie rules back home (as dress codes have relaxed or we are self-employed/ retired) that we are just forgetting that the business culture here is still very formal

2 hours ago, Kim J said:

Personally I always conduct myself in a polite manner where ever I am. However I have constantly seen over the years where foreigners are expected to fully respect 'Thai culture', but if Thai people expect special respect from their foreign guests I feel it is time for them to start leading by example and set the bar that they expect others to attain.

In Pattaya and generally around Thailand I now constantly experience bad manners, disrespect, corruption and dishonesty from Thai people, Every time I go out on the roads I see Thai men urinating in public. Walk along the beach in the morning and you can see drunk people using the sand as a public toilet. When it comes to dress code, how many Thai men do you see going around shirtless? You only need to look how most of them drive, does that demonstrate manners and respect towards others? Look at the way many of them litter and dump piles of rubbish at the side of the road everywhere, such people clearly do not even have self respect.

Thai people need to get their own house in order first and start showing respect to others rather than just sitting demanding special respect from foreigners for this mythical 'Thai culture' that most likely died out decades ago.

I most certainly do not think I am privileged in any way, but respect is a two way thing. What is wrong in wearing a smart pair of knee length shorts and a decent T shirt as I and many others always do here? That is appropriate dress for the climate. Next thing will you be suggesting we should all attend immigration in tradition Thai costume?

Thai citizens do not need to go to immigration to request an extension of stay etc.  We need something from the IO.  If it helps getting it faster, easier etc by dressing in a pair of slacks and a decent shirt, it won't kill me to do so for a few times a year.  

Archived