Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

On 6/30/2019 at 2:58 PM, RJRS1301 said:

No shorts on men. ?? Is this Thailand?? "long shorts" are worn by men all over Thailand

Please read the post properly:-

"They are not turning away men with shorts. It’s a request rather than a new regulation"

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Always respected the cap badge, not necessarily the person wearing it.

I've been there under the watchful eyes of men of power. 
I respected the man who deserves respect - those men I'd follow to the grave. 
I acknowledged those idiots <the majority imho> who wield power without compassion or justice or purpose, and whom could always have had me Court-martialed at their whim.  For many, the "salute' appeared with all fingers unfurled, but in the mind's-eyes with four fingers retracted and one in predominance. 

From the receiving end, there is a huge difference between those of us who 'respect' unjust laws, unjust dictates, and unjust decisions wielded by compassionless, power-hungry men - as opposed to those of us who acknowledge the power of those who justly utilize their power in accordance to principles of humanity.  In this day and age, they are the few and growing fewer. 

No way! Not in Australia! I’d always wear long pants and proper shirt visiting Thai immigration or any other Thai government department though, as it’s not my country.
Agreed! Ditto for Denmark.

2 hours ago, Quack said:

Don't be ridiculous the immigration officers couldn't care less as long as u are clean and polite. This edict is just from bored idiot who's higher up 

Incorrect.

The immigration desk officers couldn't care less until they do. Since inconsistency is the only constant when dealing with ANY immigration officer in ANY immigration office, why do so many foreigners here seem intent on giving them another reason or excuse to dick you about? Maybe there are some here that crave the bureaucratic obfuscation and rejection so they can rush home, fire up TV and post about how the poorly they were treated.

During the year of mourning for Rama IX, I had to visit two separate immigration offices and the black, long-sleeved shirt and long pants I wore certainly saw things fast-tracked. I got courteous service from a normally churlish lady paper-shuffler who, when I came up short on a couple of copies, quickly scanned and printed them herself on the inkjet at her desk. I can imagine Mr Socks n' Sandals being arbitrarily dismissed to the office in the parking lot to get copies if he was similarly remiss.

...and posting on here about it, chock-full of righteous indignation with the Thai bash in overdrive.

On 6/30/2019 at 2:58 PM, RJRS1301 said:

No shorts on men. ?? Is this Thailand?? "long shorts" are worn by men all over Thailand

Are we reading the same post?

"They are not turning away men with shorts"I

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I was in the Army and respect is given to people depending on rank.  Sorry you have limited world experiences.  

True. I never served in the armed forces. I would have a very, very hard time giving respect to officers, without knowing who they were, what they have accomplished, and whether or not they were worthy. Rank or no rank. Captains, Majors, Generals. Even more so here in Thailand, than elsewhere. Just not my style.

Show me what you are made of, what you have done, not whether or not you can follow orders, sir! 

25 minutes ago, champers said:

Some Immi staff wore jeans, including those with the rips in them (as fashion). 

What's expected of the Goose is not of the Gander - or reverse that if you wish.

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Show me what you are made of, what you have done, not whether or not you can follow orders, sir! 

At what point of the annual retirement extension rejection notification would you recommend asking the above question of the immigration officer giving you the boot?

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

The rules will always get harder, never easier no matter how tidy we are. This is Thailand, and we are just not wanted here, we are only tolerated for our money.

If we all started buying Elite Visas, it would be an entirely different story.

Show me a foreigner on an "Elite Visa" who is not tracked like a Thai prison parolee?  There is no such animal.  In fact, I would not doubt that Thai parolees are under less demanding reporting requirements, but given the benefit of the doubt, approximately the same as foreigner perhaps.  

I totally agree with NCC and others of the same thinking.  Respect is the key word of their post.  I don't understand why so many foreigners think they are privileged and don't feel the need to respect Thai people at IO or else where.  You try very hard to remain in Thailand, but don't want to respect it's rules, customs and traditions.  No, you don't have to participate in all the customs and traditions, but at least respect them, and follow the rules.  What so hard about wearing long trouser and a decent shirt to a place of importance.  Let's show some dignity, please.  Enjoy your stay.

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

True. I never served in the armed forces. I would have a very, very hard time giving respect to officers, without knowing who they were, what they have accomplished, and whether or not they were worthy. Rank or no rank. Captains, Majors, Generals. Even more so here in Thailand, than elsewhere. Just not my style.

Agreed.  It's the metal of the man; not the material his clothes are woven from.  
And I am a vet; and I still have problems with authority figures who believe that what they wear dictates their implied level of deservant respect.  
What a man "can" do to make your life miserable is not the same as those who act in manners that actually command respect.  Those acts, conversely, are acts of honor.  The former are acts instigated by fear of reprisal.  

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And exactly NONE of them have any business with Jomtien Immigration.

Ever.

And nobody said they did.

Ever.

The topic went slightly off topic with one poster claiming that one can never look smart wearing shorts and t-shirts. Try to keep up before gobbing off.

23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

At what point of the annual retirement extension rejection notification would you recommend asking the above question of the immigration officer giving you the boot?

I'd ask him if he plans to be the one to support my wife and family when he kicks me out of this forlorn country.  I'd ask my wife and family the same question when I board the plane.  

8 hours ago, poohy said:

Thanks you your advice i will get waxed on way there 

Now where do you suggest i affix my medals left right or centre i dont want to appear low class

Why not buy yourself a rank as well? A Maj/Gen will be the most expensive I think, they

should go nicely with your medals.:cheesy:

8 hours ago, Nitepassage said:

Common sense by many farang has always been in very short supply in this town.

What about most Thai drivers and motorbike riders? Any farang has more common sense than them.

1 hour ago, connda said:

You have to be kidding me.  You are not in touch with reality.  But you are not the only one.  You do have company.

I don't remember saying this, there has been a mixup somewhere.

It was poohy who said this, not me..

I am one of those who believe that being dressed according to the circumstances, is a form of good manners. 

Of course

"dressed according to the circumstances"

is very relative and thus open to interpretation. 

There is a quote which I like:

" Dress how you want to be adressed". 

42 minutes ago, connda said:

Show me a foreigner on an "Elite Visa" who is not tracked like a Thai prison parolee?  There is no such animal.  In fact, I would not doubt that Thai parolees are under less demanding reporting requirements, but given the benefit of the doubt, approximately the same as foreigner perhaps.  

I believe you, it's the ones who buy the Elite Visa that keeps the high brass happy as they are throwing all that money at them.

I would never go to a government office or a bank dressed like a bum in my home country. While would I act differently in other countries. The rest of the time I wear T-shirt, shorts and flip flops most of the time. 

It the institution that is to be respected, not the individual. 

Thus, it is widely known that wearing shorts at a government office or business building in Thailand is frowned upon. 

Not making the effort to do so without good reason is choosing not to be respectful. It's basic, and the person who chooses not to act respectfully towards others is hardly building respect for themselves and would thus be treated accordingly. 

Play the game as you will, those are the rules !

------

People have also discussed if you can look smart in shorts, of course you can, deck shoes, smart / tailored shorts and polo-shirt or short sleeved shirt look perfectly smart - but that degree of casualness is not considered appropriate for a government office. 

------

And people seem to be getting there 'cargo shorts' in a twist - Immigration encourages smartness, it isn't demanding it or jailing people for wearing shorts, its just asking people 'try and be respectful' that's not too hard is it?

On my driving licence renewal I was told by the lady who does the testing (eye test etc) that I can't be there in shorts, I did point out 3 Thai men also wearing shorts so she grudgingly let it slide... I still popped out to the car and changed into trousers I had brought with me just in case.

On 6/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, NCC1701A said:

Everyone laughs at me but I have been saying this for years.

I ALWAYS dress like I am going to a very important business meeting when I go to immigration or the bank or any Thai government location.

And it does make a very big difference. Dressing like a slob sends a message that you are disrespecting the Thai people. 

Incredible that I still see farangs wearing shorts and tee shirts to immigration and especially to the bank to open accounts.   

Agree totally.  I have been dressing accordingly every time I visit my immigration office for some time now.  My Thai wife always accompanies me and we always spend a little time in pleasant discussions with the Boss. 

My mother ALWAYS reminded me:

"You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar - - - - "

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

If you don't follow orders in combat you get shot/put in prison or .....  Simple really.  I guess you wouldn't have lasted long.  Are you really that naive? 

I can imagine you in a foxhole telling your commanding officer you are not gonna take that hill because "it's not your style." 

You don't obey or respect the man you obey and/or respect his rank.  He can be a total idiot or Robert E Lee, don't make no difference.  Trump is an idiot but he happens to be the commander in chief and if he says push that button it gets pushed.  

You don't salute in combat but every day in America when they play this bugle call you stand at attention and salute.  Wherever you are on the base.  Respect and tradition.  Like wearing long pants to Immigration. 

Archived