Kasikorn bank closing ATMs

Mojomor

On 7/2/2019 at 6:30 PM, Oink said:

A few years ago TMB started doing the same. I went to my branch in Royal Garden Mall and the Bank had gone. They made no effort to inform me of this slight change in our arrangement. Went to another branch and withdrew all my money ASAP. 

worldwide trend banks wil go for mobile banking paymend etc .......

• Like 1

Kasikorn Bank announced about a year ago that it would be closing branches all over Thailand, I guess some ATM's are going also. They are heavily investing in internet banking so more changes can be expected over the years (just get a chip implant, and your problems are solved... until you get hacked). I can well imagine that the cash part of a bank's business diminishes in importance every year.

Me? I buy gold whenever I can, generally after the rice harvest, I can always turn it into cash if I need to.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, watcharacters said:

If malls or shops provide no bins, they don't incur the trouble or costs of emptying them

Perhaps Thais are trying to emulate japan where public bins are scarce. Problem is whereas the Japanese keep their trash in their bag or person to dispose later at their convenience, the Thais would just get rid of the trash unceremoniously anywhere. 

11 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

there are approx 70 million Thai people and you think bank branches and atm machines are here just for foreigners??

My local KBank (6 km away) has 3 ATMs, 12 km away outside the 7/11 in the amphur there is one. There are 3 banks there each with at least 1 ATM, the next big village has no banks but several ATMs. At the Junction of the routes 1 and 1117, 52 km away there are a couple of ATMs, and no more until Khampaeng Phet which is 65 km from me.

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you very much for categorising me as a criminal.

You obviously live in a city somewhere.

I live in rural Thailand and most people prefer cash. Try going to the local markets and saying that you want to pay your 100 or so baht using your debit/credit card and see how much they laugh at you.

I went to 4 different stalls at the local market today and my biggest bill was 350 baht and the smallest was 40 baht.

Thailand is NOT all cities and credit/debit cards and NOT everyone has a credit/debit card.

Never going to happen.

You and me both Bill, I am in China at the moment and get some weird looks paying with cash. Here, cash and cards are effectively redundant, everyone pays by QR code and smartphone, even the old people in the markets. Not good for tourists but I don't think they are interested in foreign tourists, probably got enough of their own.

Last week we had a trip out into the sticks and just the same, We had to use a ferry to get across the river, fare about 10 baht and they were all paying with smartphone.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 3:18 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

More online payments , more CC payments, Samsungpay, Applepay, Linepay etc. result in less ATMs.

Happened in germany too, less and less ATMs especially in small villages.

They cost a ton of money to run, especially as you need armed security to fill them with cash.

Don't think its Kasikorn related, their business runs good.

Goodpoint, ATMs worldwide are less in use.  Probably the reason for the 220 baht withdrawal fee and surely less farrang are withdrawing cash when they are discovering they can purchase with Fintech debit cards(no fees) in Thailand now (Monzo , Revolut, Transferwise Mastercard) 

Thai people use more and more mobile payment options like you said, Airpay being a big one you missed.  

On a slightly related note has anyone noticed some Thai banks charge you 20 baht to withdraw cash at the ATMs if you are out of the province where you opened the account?  I opened in Chon Buri but moved address and noticed on my passbook 'Inter-Region Fee' with Krung Thai

Krung Si ATM used to charge 10 baht if you used a Kasikorn card for example..nothing like all these trivial charges in my home country.

Image result for atms are dying

I would very rarely use cash in Australia. The last cheque I wrote was 5 years ago. However, that's a trusted system and even the smallest retail system can cope with a credit or debit card.

The trust level is appreciably lower in Thailand, and cash or gold are the preferred stores of value for many Thais. I've seen Thais draw hundreds of thousands of baht in cash from their bank accounts, presumably to pay other Thais who either don't have a bank account, or don't trust bank transfers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Montnoveau said:

Sorry I meant criminals prefer cash in Europe.

Naturally I understand that cash is used in developing countries. Especially in rural areas.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not a problem.

I only use TransferWise as my UK bank as I found using Lloyds was getting more expensive every year. I closed that account about 10 years ago and got rid of my credit cards a little later.

I use my KBank debit card and cash. I know where I am and what I have got and if I don't have the money, I either save up for it or go without.

Now all I owe is my monthly bills and they get paid every month.

Edited by billd766
Edited for bad spelling after I had posted it
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 9:45 PM, Montnoveau said:

I'd also say it's a sign of times.

I've stop using cash since many years back home. They've issued new bank notes there a few years ago and I would have trouble recognizing them.

Only criminals prefer cash.

And only fools fail to see the importance of cash.

The day cash disappears, is the day the last vestiges of your freedom vanish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, timendres said:

And only fools fail to see the importance of cash.

The day cash disappears, is the day the last vestiges of your freedom vanish.

That’s a bit melodramatic...

Nothing strange about this. In Thailand you can still use the old phrase "Cash is King" , but in most modern countries almost all transacions are done online. 
I visit my old home town now in Norway and I think there are only 4 ATMs in the whole city. 20 years ago they were everywhere. 

So just a sign of times, Thailand is slowly moving in the same direction.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Montnoveau said:

Well, soon you will happy if you find someone who accepts cash. Not even the banks want them.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

yes cash is great, just not in Thailand where you get charged 220 baht to withdraw with a farrang card or inter-region atm withdrawal fee 20 baht when you're not in the province you opened your Thai account or 10 baht for using an ATM not owned by your Thai bank the list goes on

Much better to pay by Transferwise, Revolut or Monzo debit card and don't pay any fees ????

Edited by richiejom

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

That’s a bit melodramatic...

Not at all. Governments can measure the flow of money electrons everywhere. It gives them control. Cash and gold are untraceable, which is why governments would like to eliminate them.