Luxury mansion amid protected Phuket forest stands on appeal

webfact

Luxury mansion amid protected Phuket forest stands on appeal

By The Phuket News

1561709545_1-org.jpg

The luxury house compound is on private land overlooking the Bang Wad reservoir, says the Phuket Land Office, but surrounded by protected national forest. Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: Demolition of the luxury mansion in the hills overlooking the Bang Wad Reservoir because it breached the 80-metre limit on construction has been stayed pending an appeal.

Tassanee Saetong, Chief Administrative Officer (Palad) at Kathu Municipality, confirmed the news today (June 28) in a brief phone conversation with The Phuket News.

How the appeal was even possible considering the ban on all construction above 80 metres above sea level applies regardless of land ownership was not explained.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/luxury-mansion-amid-protected-phuket-forest-stands-on-appeal-71939.php#TzFDUYc1lDrGHtLG.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-07-03
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

How the appeal was even possible considering the ban on all construction above 80 metres above sea level applies regardless of land ownership was not explained.

Live and learn - I've not heard of this before. It must be a local Phuket regulation otherwise every building in Chiang Mai would be illegal.

10 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Live and learn - I've not heard of this before. It must be a local Phuket regulation otherwise every building in Chiang Mai would be illegal.

I think its a ban on building on land that is 80 meters above sea level and applies to all of Thailand ? A rule that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever , when there are plenty of homes built around where I live that are above this height .

Maybe its reserved for those special people and Temples ?

Edited by keith101

It's local zoning regulations, most islands have these. This includes stuff like no building less then 20 metres away from shoreline, no building higher than 2 floors closers than 50 metres from shoreline, no building on more than 45 degree slope etc. 

That's why you don't see these ugly mega hotels you know from turkey and co directly on the beaches on most parts. 

• Haha 1

The only thing that they can challenge is the 30 days.  Might need more time to get it down and clean up the site.  Other than that it is strictly a stall tactic

There is an other alternative though.  Have the government take it over and make it a Tourist centre for those tht want to walk in the forest.  I imagine the view would be great and it would provide offices for those that manage the forest in that area.

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 2

Obvious;y they measured from a different sea level (like alternate facts) or argued that with sea level rising it would in time be within legal limits. :tongue:

• Haha 2