Types of Thai Hedge

At present i have 3 concrete walls i wish to hide with a hedge, i would be looking at a little over 2m for the final trim height. Today i went to a gardening centre in Chiang Rai and the one that i liked was called Sai Gowlee or there about.

They come in various lengths and was given a cost of around 100 Baht per 1m potted plant. They informed me the spacing is around 3 per meter. Due to the fact i need to lay an area of around 150m i am just checking if any members here have experience on what are the best types available and any other tips on planting a hedge.

P6270239.JPG

P6270240.JPG

P6270241.JPG

You could grow your own ,a |Thai dairy farm near me has a hedge of Sour Tamerin ,been they a good few years .grew it from seed himself .

For seeds ask your partner is they can find a Don- Macam- Pre-Oo, Thai for sour Tamerin  tree , there are trees every where it grows quick and very resilient.

Plenty about this time of year . 

Consider a vine/creeper, depending on your objectives, unless you really need the density of a shrub barrier for some reason. 

I planted Ficus pumila (syn. Ficus repens) to cover a 2 meter high bare concrete wall. (fig vine, local common names jimjok or tokay) It's not real fast, but low maintenance and self supporting. It achieved full coverage in two years on the east side of a wall (morning full sun but on the shady side in afternoon). There are also some extraordinary beautiful flowering vines available, like rangoon creeper and coral vine. Some need a trellis support framework, and directional pruning maintenance.  

A big advantage is cost, with vine spacing up to 3 meters or more, instead of 3 shrubs per meter that you are considering. 

Visit a botanical garden like Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden in Mae Rim District of Chiang Mai and see the "creeper" collection, where you can view mature vines and see how they grow and flower. 

Don

VINES PRESENTATION.pptx

2 hours ago, Fruit4Life said:

We use "mexican spinach": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cnidoscolus_aconitifolius
Really easy to grow and regrow. Just cut in pieces and plant. Welcome to contact us for more info: https://vegancampthailand.com

So at last I found out what the plant is growing in my garden, Chaya or Mexican Spinach. I actually cooked some and am eating it now, if I don't die then all good. Seems edible... hmm.. so I won't be buying any more spinach, which contains less nutrition (iron, potassium etc) as well as being a plant that needs a lot of pesticides. Lowers blood sugar also.

https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1996/V3-516.html#Table 1

Name in Thai please?

Thanks for that!

Archived