Tenant Asking To Create Subtenant Contract

I rent a condo in BKK via a letting agency. I have had the same tenant for some time - I have never met him, but sometimes he communicates by email.

Today he emailed me to ask my permission for the agency to make a subtenant contract. He explained that he has a friend who has given up his own condo and wants to go travelling, but for some reason the friend needs an address to give to the Thai and his own country's embassies. My tenant wants to be able to accept his mail and states that he needs this subtenant contract to do so.

I have no idea whether the above is correct procedurally, or what other implications might arise if I agree. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

It would seem more practical for your friend to declare in writing to interested parties you as a nominee to receive correspondence on his behalf. That way, if it's important, your tenant contract establishes a bona fide address.

I nominate a UK friend to receive mail on my behalf from various organisations.

• Like 1

Oh - may apolgies, I think I made the subject unnecessarily confusing. I should have been clearer - I own the condo and I rent it out via an agent. It is not my friend who wishes the subtenancy contract, but my tenant who has made the request. 

1 minute ago, alacrity said:

Basically, it's not a good idea. The level of control over your own property is even more significantly diminished. Depends on your need to let I suppose.

That's my biggest concern - the rental market remains weak and he has threatened to leave in the past if the rent isn't reduced at time of renewal. I am trying to work out what is the worst that can happen. 

7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

That's my biggest concern - the rental market remains weak and he has threatened to leave in the past if the rent isn't reduced at time of renewal. I am trying to work out what is the worst that can happen. 

The worst scenario is that you've no occupancy. A fact they are fully aware of.

How dependent are you on the rental income should determine your action.

I would characterize your situation as having been scammed. Not a nice situation.

Doubt it's just happening to you. Talking to other unit owners may give an indication.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Maybe check with your agent to see if there is a way your tenant and his friend can be accommodated that does not involve a subtenant contract and keeps all your rights as the landlord intact.

• Like 1

I don't really understand why he would need a subtenant contract to receive mail.

But you could just offer him to add his friend to the existing contract. Then this friend can do whatever he could do with a subtenant contract, and there is nothing negative for you, only the positive that now both are libale for the rent

• Like 1

Sounds like you are being bullied. What if this "friend" on the sublease is in actuality some kind of dodgy business or criminal associated entity.  Unless the "friend" is actually living there as a roommate it is fraud on the face of it! Why should some friend of a person you never met  be your problem? Could be income tax evasion. 

I would refuse. Then raise the rent on him before the next lease to drive this bludger out.

• Like 1

There are many ifs and what’s . Just ask tenant to provide more information with relevant links to

embassy that supports his claim.

also ask to explain in more detail what is happening.

highly unlikely you will get a reasonable response , if indeed genuine he will try his hardest to provide all the info but if some kind of scam most likely will not hear from him again.

• Like 1